Tranny Rebuild Cost FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How much would it cost to get the auto rebuilt if the shop has to pull, rebuild, and reinstall it?

Thank you,

lots and lots see the 3fe list on yahoo list.
assuming you can find someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Mine cost $3200 including the t-case. If I had it to do all over again, I'd either go with a rebuilt A440f from Extreme in Austrailia or do an H55 Conversion.... as you can tell I'm not 100% satisfied with my rebuild.

tcb said:
Mine cost $3200 including the t-case. If I had it to do all over again, I'd either go with a rebuilt A440f from Extreme in Austrailia or do an H55 Conversion.... as you can tell I'm not 100% satisfied with my rebuild.

Same here. Finding someone that can "actually" rebuild it is the kicker. Some are too proud to tell you they can't while others will flat out tell you, nope can't do it.

Just out of curiosity, is the 62 tranny particularly difficult or do most people just not know how to rebuild trannies?

jgordon said:
Just out of curiosity, is the 62 tranny particularly difficult or do most people just not know how to rebuild trannies?
they are different from what i understand its cost me 2 grand just to rebuild the transfer case

Working on the a440f is more like working on a tractor than a modern car transmission. Transmission shops are just not used to dealing with it. They under estimate what it will take to pull the transmission, then cut corners in the rebuild to try to keep from loosing money.

I can't say enough good about my extreme transmission from australia.

If a shop quotes less than $2500 I'd say it's risky letting them do it.

Best case is to find someone who has had one rebuilt and talk to them. If they are happy after more than 20K miles, make sure the mechanic that did theirs will do yours.

I paid $1600 to have mine rebuilt, 600 parts 1000 labor, with a 12,000 mile/12month warranty. I dont think the mechanic knew what he was getting into, I'm sure if he ever gives another rebuild estimate on an A440F it will be much higher. However its been almost 3 years since it was rebuilt and it still works. The AT temp light came on a couple of times on the highway, but after investigating a bit i see a crimp in one of the cooler lines so I think that when I get a replacement for that it will be fine. When I was looking into getting mine rebuilt I did not know about Rodney and his extreme valve bodies and transmissions, if I did I would have at least put in one of his valve bodies and torque converters. From what I gather from the various Land Cruiser boards is that the torque converter is one of the main weaknesses of the A440F, something about an inefficient design creating excessive heat. Another option is getting a lower mileage used A440F and swapping it in, many people have had bad luck with their rebuilds (knock on wood:)). For more info on the extreme trannys search Birfield.com. Good luck, I wish I knew then what I know now.

James

The first time I had the tranny rebuilt it cost me $3000:eek: . The second time I rebuilt the tranny it was considerablily less. Check out the thread in the FAQ section on the 80's side, 4:banana: .

By no means am I tooting me own horn, But I rebuilt my auto tranny on the FJ80 and have had great luck since then. I followed the manual to rebuilt it and have had no problems with my workmanship since. Other than the fact that the A440F is prone to overheating problems.

I currently have Amsoil on order with a local dealer and will be doing a flush of the old oil. It's stated that Amsoil and other brands of oil can reduce heat in the tranny. I'm gutta try it.

At my disposal I have two A440F that I am going to rebuild and sell to the landcruiser community. I am getting the garage setup to rebuilt them soon and will be ready shortly.

Extreme has done a great work to improve heat reduction in the A440F. If you want a rock solid tranny that will never overheat, buy from Rodney.

By the way, my mechanic stood by his warranty. After about 9 months i noticed a small leak near the rear of the transmission so I took it back and he said it was one of the seals. They had to drop the transmission to fix it, while they had it down they noticed my rear main seal was leaking so they went ahead and replaced that and only charged me 30 bucks for the seal itself, no labor. God bless good mechanics.

airlaird said:
TCB, For $3200.00 couldn't you have bought a new Toyo tranny for that price?

Don't think so. I've heard that they are in the $6k range installed. I may be mistaken. Labor is a mamma jamma on this tranny, it's enormous..... That price also included $500 for the transfer case and taxes.... So it was around $2400 or so for the transmission.

Plus I was 3 1/2 hours away from home, so I didn't exactly have a whole lot of options. It was a shop that a couple of cruiser heads recommended, so its what I went with. FWIW, the shop that did mine immediately raised the price on the A440F rebuild after doing mine. Ask Euclid what the same shop quoted him.

airlaird said:
TCB, For $3200.00 couldn't you have bought a new Toyo tranny for that price?

That's a big NEGATIVE. I was quoted around the $6k range for a new one, it was actually more expensive than a new engine, both quotes were from the local toyota dealership.

cruiser88 said:
they are different from what i understand its cost me 2 grand just to rebuild the transfer case

Now that is freakin outrageous! Did they replace every part in the stupid thing??? I've done this in the driveway with a floor jack...although I did get hit in the teeth with the idler gear....lots of blood, and 90 weight..yum!

tcb said:
Don't think so. I've heard that they are in the $6k range installed. I may be mistaken. Labor is a mamma jamma on this tranny, it's enormous..... That price also included $500 for the transfer case and taxes.... So it was around $2400 or so for the transmission.

Plus I was 3 1/2 hours away from home, so I didn't exactly have a whole lot of options. It was a shop that a couple of cruiser heads recommended, so its what I went with. FWIW, the shop that did mine immediately raised the price on the A440F rebuild after doing mine. Ask Euclid what the same shop quoted him.

Price went up to $5K. They are the best shop around, and I trust they did their best on tcb's but they still screwed it up. When I showed them the website and info on the exteme transmissions the same shop said it was a better option.

No vodoo involved in the a440, but it aint no simple deal either. Find someone who knows the transmission then cross your fingers.

Again, I'm very pleased with my extreme, but it aint cheap or easy to get.

euclid said:
Price went up to $5K. They are the best shop around, and I trust they did their best on tcb's but they still screwed it up. When I showed them the website and info on the exteme transmissions the same shop said it was a better option.

No vodoo involved in the a440, but it aint no simple deal either. Find someone who knows the transmission then cross your fingers.

Again, I'm very pleased with my extreme, but it aint cheap or easy to get.

and it will be the route I go when (not if) I need another transmission.

But to be fair to the shop that did mine, they didn't do a horrible job. It hasn't failed me yet. It just does a couple of things that irritate me from time to time. It doesn't hold 1st gear long enough, all the other shift points are pretty much FSM spec (so I guess it holds 2nd too long). And it is rough on the down shift if I go from 1st -> 2nd -> 1st without going to 3rd. Most of my other complaints with the rebuild were remedied by finally getting the kickdown cable adjusted the way I like it. But for the kind of $$$ I spent, I'd like for it to be perfect.

Last edited:
Some of what you describe would be solved by adding the custom valve body from extreme. Risk in adding that is that it would increase fluid pressures in the tranny and it's hard to say if the rebuild would hold up to it. Most of what bugs you is controled by the valve body.

euclid said:
Some of what you describe would be solved by adding the custom valve body from extreme. Risk in adding that is that it would increase fluid pressures in the tranny and it's hard to say if the rebuild would hold up to it. Most of what bugs you is controled by the valve body.

As long as it keeps getting me from Point A -> B, I'm going to leave it be... and leave my non-working A/C as next on my list.... damn it's hot in the south.

holy crap dude, how did you survive this past week? The heat index was 118 last tuesday. :eek:

Anyways, my 2cents on trannies. If I were you I'd look into swapping in an h55f. You dont have to worry about whether or not the shop did it right and there's no risk of having to replace it again. I dont think I could ever fully trust a rebuilt tranny; i've heard of too many people being unsatisified with their rebuild. When my tranny goes, and its only a matter of time, I plan on getting an h55f. That being said, Rodney's A440f seems to be another good alternative. I just wouldnt feel comfortable letting a local shop do such a crucial and important job, esp considering how much $$ it costs for these rebuilds. Although if your tranny goes out and strands you somewhere, I guess you got no choice. :frown:

:cheers:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom