Automatic Transmission Shifter Wobble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there are some previous threads about this, but I can't think how they were titled. When I but my 88 FJ62 into drive the shifter knob wobbles back and forth. I have the replacement parts but where do they go and how do I fix the problem? If anyone knows about a previous thread with instructions I would appreciate any leads, or if anyone wants to give me instructions on how to fix it that would be great to.
Thanks

You have to disassemble the shifter unit in the cab. It is has been a while since i did mine, but it is quite easy. I think you neewd a phillips head to take the shifter assembly cover and then a wrench for the shofter bushings.

HTH

You have to replace the bushings in the shifter. You can get them from your local dealer or contact cruiserdan on mud for a good price.

Here is the process from a file over on the 3FE yahoo group. I did it a while ago and the procedure below if fairly straight forward, but there is one think to look out for. Make sure you use a wrench on both sides of the bolt that holds the shift lever in place when you loosen it. You may be tempted to put a wrench on one side and use the shift lever itself for tension on the other... this is bad. You can end up reaming out the slot in the shift lever that is used to engage the linkage. What you end up with is a shifter that no longer is loose side to side, but has a bit play from front to back. Ask me how I know.

Oh yeah, anyone got a spare shift lever laying around? :p

Date: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:17 am
Subject: Re: Loose Shifter on fj62 automatic trans (part Nos. for ya)

You will want two (2) of part number 90385-16008. They are plastic bushings and are about a buck a piece.

Here's what worked for me on the install. Put the shifter in first gear. Remove the four screws securing the outer shifter cover and take it off. Remove the the four small nuts that secure plastic mechanism that shows you what gear the truck is in. At this point, you might need to CAREFULLY clip a wire tie securing some wiring cable in order to lift the mechanism up. You don't need to remove the mechanism entirely; just tilt it back so that you can access the 14mm and 16mm nuts securing the shift lever. Hold the shift lever to keep it from moving and remove the 14mm nut on the left hand side. Remove the 16mm nut from the right hand side. Make a mental note of how everything fits together before proceeding (particularly the flat spot on the "bolt" from which you removed the 14mm and 16mm nuts. Pull the shift lever off the "bolt" but otherwise leave the shift lever where it is. Remove the 19mm nut from the left hand side. Remove the bushing from the left hand side (if it is still there). Remove the bushing from the right hand side (if it is still there). Install the new bushings. The rest is pretty much the reverse of what you just did. Note: Before you rescure the mechanism or the cover, test the shifter to make sure it is not binding. If it is, loosen the 19mm nut a tad and try it again. You want the shifter to be secure but not stiff.

My description makes it sound involved, but it is really about a 10 minute job.

www1221us said:
My shifter does the same thing but will it hurt it if I just leave it alone?
This problem will not hurt your trans at all since it is just some play in the way the linkage engages, however, you may have a hard time telling if you are in N,D, or 3 which other than being annoying, could possible be a bit dangerous. both my wife and father commented that the shifter looseness made the truck feel old and sloppy... that was enough of a comment to make me fix it!

the wife was talking bout your father :D

canyon62 said:
. both my wife and father commented that the shifter looseness made the truck feel old and sloppy... that was enough of a comment to make me fix it!

My PO replaced the bushings in my '62, it's nice & tight!

Landpimp said:
the wife was talking bout your father :D
doubt it... dad's only 55 and has a long way to "old and sloppy". in fact, he's driving solo from NY to SF with his truck camper to be at the birth of our first child (at our home) in October. He'll be manning the grill and keeping the fireplace hot while I catch the kid... which will probably be the sloppy part!

OK guys,
I know this is an old thread, but I did my searching....

Do you have to pull the carpet up to get to the LH (Passenger side here in Aus) bushing ?

I replaced the easy one under the shifter, but cannot figure out how to get the other one without major diassembly !!
I have the factory cooler, and it's going to be a huge PITA !!!

Any tips ?

Cheers

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom