Found a ~38 gal tank for the 55 - Now to mod it.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking for cheap ways that I could extend my 55's range and was looking at putting in a larger Ford, Chevy, whatever-JY tank when I stumbled across this lovely piece for free.

I have no idea what it is out of - it doesn't look like any pics I've seen of the larger domestic tanks. It is slightly smaller in length and width than my FJ55 tank but about 12" deep not including the protrusion for the pickup/sender. It will probably hang 3-4" below the frame with a skid plate.

I'm planning on cutting out the pickup/sender bump and flipping it over to gain another inch of clearance (so the sender is recessed instead of protruding). I'll weld on a ring for the Cruiser sender and lengthen the arm so I can have an idea of when it's empty. While I'm in there I may attempt to put in some baffles (it has no baffles).

Anyone know what the fuel separator lines look like on the inside of the stock tank? Truck is going to be desmogged, but I'd definitely like to keep this to avoid fumes and I'd like to avoid cutting up the stock tank just to take a peek.
I imagine I'm going to be adding some bungs or nipples. I also need to run a vent out to the charcoal canister as this new tank's is part of the pickup/sender.

Do I need a vent like the Toy filler neck? The 55 tank fills from the bottom, but this one fills from the top. I'm guessing that it might not fill the last bit without having a proper vent, but I don't really know.

-Tyler
100_1526X.jpg
100_1528X.jpg
100_1529X.jpg

The fuel inlet for the 55 tank is on the side, but this one looks like its' on the top. The other tank looks a bit taller, so you're either gonna hafta relocate the filler, drop the tank lower than the 55's, or add a body lift. It'll prolly need a skid hanging that low too since that rear end is already succeptible to dragging on the trail. I used a tank from a Blazer. I know it's only 20 gal. but it fits perfectly inside my modified, chopped & raised rear frame. I have a 1 3/4" body lift as well:
DSC00340.JPG
DSC00349.JPG
DSC00352.JPG

You can see in the first pic that the filler is on the same side as the 55 - but it is high and around an inch smaller. On top of the tank is the sender/pickup, vent, supply and return all rolled into one.

Did you plumb in the fuel separator?

Nice skidplate, bet that took a little while. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom