So I bought some forklift stuff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have pretty much everything I need, except for a tank, to do my propane conversion.
I've never done anything like this, but figured I'd give it a shot.

Any advice is appreciated.

P1010020.JPG

****Edit, it's in and I dig it.****

Last edited:
PM Mace out here, he is running propane/Gasoline combo..

Please do a write up. I have been considering the same mod.

I saw a thread on PBB about www.propaneguy.com. He has some tanks listed on his page.

Propane conversion is like driving a mobile BOMB! :eek: If you live in an apartment with underground parking or have underground parking at work I'd check to see if they allow propane powered vehicles. Many don't, at least not here :ban:!
Long live my diesel 'Cruisers :D

[quote author=cruiser_guy link=board=1;threadid=10508;start=msg94260#msg94260 date=1074827881]
Propane conversion is like driving a mobile BOMB! [/quote]

Whatever... :rolleyes:

Right,

We are constantly reading about wharehouses and shipping docks blowing up, and having it be tied back to a rolling bomb fork truck...

Oh, and then, there are all those CNG vehicles that keep blowing up when in a crash...

-Steve

Steve,
Next time you're in the big city watch at parkade entrances, you may be surprised! I think it has to do with potential propane leaks settling in the bottom of the parkade and going boom when a critical concentration is reached!

Minneapolis/St.Paul must not be large enough....have yet to ever see any sign to that effect on any of the parking garages, facilities, underground or otherwise...

Sure, the possibility is there for a situation like that to occur, and you and I could win the next lottery too, and split it, 50/50...

Feed your diesel some propane....

I see it all the time here in Vancouver. Maybe our propane is more potent :) Or the guys doing propane conversions don't know how to leak check very well!

I think that it is one more of the many silly kanada things...Like 50$ for a case of Miller, and 9$ for a box of 20 nails(smokes) 5$gal for fuel, and tax,tax,tax,tax,tax...and then on top of all that,the frogs...

Kidding!

Ever been to BHCC? The kanadians get heckled a lot during the raffle...Tom C has fun with it!

So, wasn't this about propane powered Land Cruisers?

Where is Jason M!!!

Propane conversion is like driving a mobile BOMB! If you live in an apartment with underground parking or have underground parking at work I'd check to see if they allow propane powered vehicles. Many don't, at least not here !
Long live my diesel 'Cruisers
LPG is actually safer than Petrol. :slap:
Duel Fuel(LPG and Petrol) is a very common Conversion to F and 2F in Australia.
In 1998 Dad converted his 1996 FZJ80 to also run on Gas. - Only problems is the Second Petrol Tank is replaced by the Gas Cyclinder, Also the Tyre underneith had to be put on a Tyre Carrier on the back. :cheers:

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=10508;start=msg94375#msg94375 date=1074842482]
I think that it is one more of the many silly kanada things...Like 50$ for a case of Miller, and 9$ for a box of 20 nails(smokes) 5$gal for fuel, and tax,tax,tax,tax,tax...and then on top of all that,the frogs...

Kidding!

Ever been to BHCC? The kanadians get heckled a lot during the raffle...Tom C has fun with it!

So, wasn't this about propane powered Land Cruisers?

Where is Jason M!!!
[/quote]

BHCC??? Haven't been there, whatever that is. Must be an east coast thing. Hey, don't think we exactly like paying taxes either, eh!! :p It's us poor bastards out west that get hosed by "the powers that be" in Ottawa, happens EVERY time! They do all the taking, we do all the giving! At least we got 'diesel 'Cruisers what are cheaper to drive than propane! :cheers:

Bomb huh...

Propane has a higher effective octane than most gasolines have. It is actually harder to ignite..

It is safer than vapor gasoline..

What kit is that?
It looks really small. A single barrell propane carb might not produce as much power as you are planning.
I assume that this is on a F/2F?

It is just as simple as hooking up a gasoline motor. But be sure to use propane certified hoses to run the lines. Propane leaks through standard rubber and steel braided hoses.

What hints are you looking for?

Excuse my ignorance, but why use propane?

I have enough trouble just filling up my BBQ cylinder!

Do you get more power, or is it cheaper, or more miles per "cylinder", or what?

Do you put in a little adapter so that if you run out, you can limp home on those Benz-o-matic torch cylinders?

Just curious -

Rocky

[quote author=Rocky_LC link=board=1;threadid=10508;start=msg94797#msg94797 date=1074924319]
Excuse my ignorance, but why use propane?

Do you put in a little adapter so that if you run out, you can limp home on those Benz-o-matic torch cylinders?

Rocky
[/quote]

Rock-

Yes. It is all about benz-o-matic torch cylinders....you figured it out...good job!!!

I think it's cheaper, cleaner, more powerful and you get better range per tank.

I've seen the warnings going thru tunnels about propane containers, but I was told it wasn't for vehicles running it.

It's for those of us who drive around with the grill tank bouncing around the bed of the truck. :whoops:

Sorry I haven't responded, I guess I didn't click the notify me of replies.

Anyway, my reasons for switching are that I considered converting to FI, but this is much cheaper, and simpler. I will benefit from better running at angle, and have a cleaner engine to boot.

I will be trailering my 40 most of the time from here on out, and i can carry a spare tank in my Truck at the trailhead.

I hope to be able to fill it at home, I have 2 large lpg tanks fueling my house.

Jason_M It is a allgas kit. I didn't realize they actually had 1,2,4(?) barrel carbs. I thought the carb was just a simple mixer??

I will be doing alot more research before I start this. Plus I will have to have some warm weather too.
::)

Oh yeah, what kind of adapter will I need to use my stock manifold? :cheers:

[quote author=Dingleberry link=board=1;threadid=10508;start=msg95023#msg95023 date=1074982277]
I think it's cheaper, cleaner, more powerful and you get better range per tank.

[/quote]

Cheaper, depends on where you live. Propane is about 1.89 a gallon out here.

Cleaner, that depends on how you adjust it. Just like a carb. If you are very poorly out of adjustment you will still be spewing lots of gas..

Power, that is a wash generally. The higher octane is handy but you really do have to optimize a motor for propane. Advance the timing a lot. And increase compression as well. Also it is better to run a cooler spark plug than you normally run.

Range? Nope, typically you can see a bit of a loss in mileage. but when you are typically getting 12-14 mpg to begin with it is not that big of a deal.

The longevity of the motor is amazing with propane. Cruiser motors run forever. Add propane and they will last even longer. Oil never really gets dirty. Neither do valves.. Speaking of valves. Hardened valve seats are a very handy thing.

Propane is almost stupid easy. And yes it will run at any angle. Even more so than a good FI system. but when it fails you can fix it with a screwdriver typically. I love it for that one reason.

I assume you are going to use forklift tanks? Get three just in case.

As for size. Any carb be it gasoline or propane is just a simple mixer. HP largely depends on how much air/fuel you can get into the motor at any one point and time. With a small throat on the mixer you will never get that much flow. Think of sucking through a coffee straw (or mixed drink straw) compared to a McDonalds straw.. Big difference right? That is your limiting factor. You might want to look into the CFM and HP rating of that carb. I bet it is pretty small.
For refrence. I was running a 350 cfm carb on my cruiser when it was more stock. With the turbo I am now running a 460 cfm 4 barrel.. (The impco 425 mixer is designed to fit on top of a holley 4 barrel butterfly set)

The adapter is going to possibly be an issue. Anyone happen to know the stock 1 barrel pattern off the top of their head? is it close at least?

Before you try to instal the kit make sure that it will provide you with the flow you need. Choking off a cruiser motor means no HP...

Letting it breathe will amke for a happy cruiser motor ;)

BTW, with propane/turbo, 38.5's, and 4.11's I pulled hills very well. Typically would not lose any speed. I can't wait to see what 5.13's and 40's will do.
I am betting that I will be able to burn the 40's....

(Yes this is Jason_M I had to reregister at home)

I have been somewhat interested in this conversion from gas, but i dont find much info on doing so.

Please if you know some sites, writeups, kits, etc... LINK ME or post up and let others check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom