2L wouldn't fire at all (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jonathan_Ferguson

★ is in the wrong locale
Threads
Website
jonathan-ferguson.tk
Today I drove to Echuca via Seymour, but I stopped at the Dunnies at Wallan and went to restart after exactly 5 minutes but it wouldn't fire at all, after it had cooled down, it started fine.

It started fine after being left for an hour or so in Echuca.

Currently my Hilux is in Bendigo, becouse I stopped there, as I knew my Dad was quite a way behind me. This time even after cooling down, it wouldn't even fire.
So the Hilux is going to an RACV Depot, and I'll have to contact the Engine Mob on Monday about what's going to happen.

Also, I think the Centre Bearing is stuffed, after just 350km.

The only explanation I can come up with is if one of the two clips on the Injector Pump has come off. Any thoughts on other possibilities?

What clips are you talking about ?
Does the starter turn at all ?
Is the stop solenoid powered ?

I'm thinking electrical gremlin.

I should add, this trip was to run the Engine in.

The Engine started fine all three times, back on Tuesday.
Also, on Wednesday, the Engine Started fine.
On Friday, I started the Engine to test the Clutch, driving a few meters forward, then back.

The first time to get any heat into the Engine, was today.

There should be just one connector on the pump with 3 wires, 2 for the hall probe for the tachometer and one for the stop solenoid. If the stop solenoid (bid round thing at the back side of the pump next to the injector lines) gets no 12V the engine won't start.

Also a lower-than-specified starting revs will make the engine not start. I've literally spent one day cranking a rebuilt 2LT without success, then redone the main bettery-starter and ground wiring, it started on the 2nd turn of the crank :)

Last edited:
denis said:
There should be just one connector on the pump with 3 wires, 2 for the hall probe for the tachometer and one for the stop solenoid. If the stop solenoid (bid round thing at the back side of the pump next to the injector lines) gets no 12V the engine won't start.
There's definitely two groups of Wires, one has three, and the other has two(I think). - I do regret checking if these Wires were plugged in. :eek:

denis said:
Also a lower-than-specified starting revs will make the engine not start. I've literally spent one day cranking a rebuilt 2LT without success, then redone the main bettery-starter and ground wiring, it started on the 2nd turn of the crank :)
It's got a new Starter Motor, and I connected it up through the Relay, which was fitted by an Auto Electrician when the Solenoid was playing up on the previous Starter Motor.

Whats this centre bearing you speak of and how much was the final bill?:eek:

Its good your back on the road Fergie:D

Echuca eh, I had a great weekend there once(its on the Murray River,which is the Vic/NSW border,and is home to Australia best collection of paddle steamers;) )

have you changed the fuel filter ? Check the solenoid voltage when the key is on "ON" and then do just that. Did you notice a loss of power ?

denis said:
have you changed the fuel filter ? Check the solenoid voltage when the key is on "ON" and then do just that. Did you notice a loss of power ?
The Fuel Filter was used for 1 hour before the Engine was removed.
There was no loss of power at any time, even though the highest speed I could get to, was 118km/h.
During the run in, I shifted up at 2,900 - 3,100 RPM, and shifted down at ~ 2,000 RPM.

I got the Hilux Home today. There are two Eletrical Clips, one with 1 Pin, and the other has 2 Pins.

With the Key at the ON position, there is 12V to the single Pin. Is this the Fuel control Solenoid?
With the Key turned to the START position, both of the Pins on the second Clip will fluctuate between -0.5V and +0.5V Is this the RPM Guage?

Are these results good?

The fuel stop solenoid is the round pot ontop of the backside of the pump where the fuel lines plug into. +12V ON bolts ontop of it, under a rubber isolating cover.

This sounds good as far as the electrics go. Can you hear the solenoid clicking when 12V is applied on it ? It may have gotten stuck in the off position -although the reverse, stuck on ON, is more common-.

Last edited:
denis said:
Can you hear the solenoid clicking when 12V is applied on it ?
I can't hear it click, but should I be able to feel the clunk(becouse I can't)?

This maybe a stupid question but I don't see this stated in your posts, however is your engine turning over or is your starter just spinning???

I ask becasue that happened to me about a year ago. Similar symtoms where it was starting fine then did not start once, then ok again, then not start at all. Turned out to be the plunger (for lack of a better word) that engages the flywheel was stuck and not engaging the flywheel, I woudl hear the starter wind up but never engage the flywheel so my engine woudl not turn over. I replaced the plunger from an old starter I had lying around and has been fine since.

Not sure if this helps???
Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom