Centered Differential help ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phluid.com
Hello,
I have a 69 FJ40 spring over running a 69 rear end with 4.56 and a detroit with 37's. I have been eating up the races on my rear axle shafts (c clip style ). I get a full 3 days on the races before I have to replace them. I thought it was my shaft so I replaced them with some used SOR's but am still having the same problem. I now have narroed it down to my axle housing, but would like to upgrade to a centered housing. What housing can I run, that will accept the FJ 3rd member so I can save a few dollars since the ring and pinion are new, and have approx the same width. Is there a rear Toyota centered dif that is a full floater? Another problem was finding a company that sells new c clip cromo shafts. couldn't find any!
My front diff and housing are from an 81 FJ40 and have it beefed up with newfields and cromo shafts. Also centering the rear diff would allow me to run either a Atlas or Stack, Is that true?????

The current tcase is stock. I have the NV4500 and would like to get a lower ratio. I have Toyed with the idea of an Orion but do not want to reuse my old Tcase components. The Orion HD is said to be coming, but Advanced adaptors is still behind on production. Also the stock tcase is a leaking siv. I replaces the seals, and shafts and still have an occasional few drips.The strength and security of an aftermarket Tcase is what I am looking for.

I just called CV unlimited for a quote and they said they havn't done one for a couple of years. Huh??? Why have a picture of it on your web page?? Man let me know if there is another option available.

For a centered rear diff proffitts will make you one. Front Range sells a bolt on full float kit, or you could go with something like this.

Last edited:
Full Floaters are overrated..

Build a Cruiser-Mini Hybrid, Put in Some Cromo shafts and be done with it..

This eliminates the C-clip in the 3rd..

My Buildup(link below) has some photos and info on it

Last edited:
Tapage said:
Well IMOP I love the C-clip setup .. is nice and easy for me and more secure than bearing setup.
Why woudl you say a bearing setup is less safe than a C clip?

OK. I think I am going to go with a modified mini axle hybrid setup. The 9 inch is a good alternative but a morphed toy axle has that sex appeal about it. Either I can grab an extra axle from SOR and one from a Toy dismantler in Chatsworth or get one from Proffits.
Any previous experience Experience fabbing a mini housing to a 40?

wcssrobb said:
OK. I think I am going to go with a modified mini axle hybrid setup. The 9 inch is a good alternative but a morphed toy axle has that sex appeal about it. Either I can grab an extra axle from SOR and one from a Toy dismantler in Chatsworth or get one from Proffits.
Any previous experience Experience fabbing a mini housing to a 40?

If you get the housing from Jeremiah Proffitt- you can also get the U bolts and spring perchs to make it a nearly bolt-in operation.

woody said:
did you read my writeup?!?

Hey Woody,

DSCN1382.JPG

Those flanges look to be mis aligned slightly, side to side :flipoff2:

ats4x4dotcom said:
Those flanges look to be mis aligned slightly, side to side :flipoff2:

:flipoff2:

ain't been broken yet, and I've broken a LOT of other stuff since that axle went in!

Mace said:
Why woudl you say a bearing setup is less safe than a C clip?

To loose an axle you need to broke it with a C-clip setup .. but if your bearing fail, you loose a healthy axle ..

I see your point. But honestly, I see very few of those bearing fail that badly...

They tend to make them selves known before an issue occurs. Where if the C clip fails, it fails with no warning generally.

Mace said:
They tend to make them selves known before an issue occurs. Where if the C clip fails, it fails with no warning generally.

half and a half .. and you can said .. you don't losse ..

But in my case ( just IMOP ) when I think in rear disk brakes also think in a other secure method .. if I broke an axle .. don't loose my wheel.

But this is a % life .. so maybe are more axle breakage than bearing problems, who knows ..

failed bearing

This bearings has approx 60 hours on it and is failing. The runout on the shaft showed +/_.0005. I think i have some warpage on thew housing or the 37's may be a little much for the clip style axles. Since I want to beef up the tcase centering the diff will leave me witht he most options. Here is a pic of the failed bearing.
brg_failure.jpg

wcssrobb said:
This bearings has approx 60 hours on it and is failing. The runout on the shaft showed +/_.0005. I think i have some warpage on thew housing or the 37's may be a little much for the clip style axles. Since I want to beef up the tcase centering the diff will leave me witht he most options. Here is a pic of the failed bearing.

Sommthing rotten in Denmark.....

Woody kicks on his hard with bigger meats, gotta be a underlying problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom