Identify lockers through vin#??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Does the vin# on an FZJ contain a number or letter that would indicate if it has lockers? Or would that info only be on the build tag? Sorry if this has been covered... I did not come up with anything while searching.

>> Does the vin# on an FZJ contain a number or letter that would indicate if it has lockers? <<

No.

You can find the axle code on the door sticker and determine if the
vehicle was originally equipped with the diff lock option. This
sticker has the VIN, the exterior paint code, the interior color
code, the axle code, and the transmission code.

Near the bottom of the sticker, you will see this:
A/TM = K294/A343F

[ Axle/Transmission ]

K292 = no factory lockers
K294 = factory lockers
A343F in this example is the 95-97 auto tranny

A very few have been retrofitted with factory diff locks so this
isn't 100% accurate in those cases. All years with have the rotary
diff-lock switch to the left of the steering column.

locker.jpg

-B-

Thanks, -B- :cheers:.... I am familiar with the Toyota build tag decoding, however, all I have access to is the vin# and a few pictures, none of which show the left side of the dash. I may start buying up some the 80 series cruisers that are coming through some near by salvage auctions, and obviously lockers would make them worth more money.

A dealer can "run" the VIN in the Toyota system and pull up a buildsheet that will detail the options for a particular vehicle.
Obviously, this information is not 100% accurate in cases where you can not visually confirm what the vin info states(IE laundered vins or vehicles that have been "poached")

Are you looking at rebulding or busting up for the parts? From what I've seen "salvage" titles are hard to sell and only make sense if you are going to keep something for a long time and then pretty much thown away. Something that would take a long time w/ an 80.

were you on audiworld? names familar I had an A8 with a little work done sold it as the next mod was coil overs and .... just didn't fit the need as I already have the "date" car.

andre

I will use the parts for project rigs... the 80 chassis is one of my favorites for obvious reasons. What I don't use will be sold off....

... still hang around Audiworld... don't post there much as my S4 is currently 'done'... sold off the RS4 drive line, that was tough, but made good money which funds Toyota projects. :D

The vehicle in the above example has a diff lock swith but is a non lock vehicle axle code. There could be a variety of explanations:

Somebody stuck the switch in the hole and it does nothing.

Somebody spent a lot of money and added OEM locks.

Somebody spent a lot of money and added ARB's with an OEM switch.

The vin does not really belong to the rest of the vehicle.

The vin tag was incorrecly labeled K292 instead of K294.

Judging from the pics I think you can rule out #2 and #3. The VIN in the listing matches the VIN on the tag and the photos were numbered sequentially so it doesn't appear to be a "wrong photo" excuse.

I'm betting on #1 though that is not a new diff lock switch or it has been made to look used.

Hmmmmm. Caution is in order on that one.

C-Dan... can you pull the Marony (sp?) on that one?

-B-

Yeah, caution is in order...I can't remember who it was, but someone on this board actually bought a cruiser with the stock switch in the panel, and no lockers.

Well its been in 2 accidents one in 96 and the other 2000 . one front end and a rear end :eek:
It also was a lease (2 times) and had at least 2 owners ::)

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=9822;start=msg92857#msg92857 date=1074636161]
Judging from the pics I think you can rule out #2 and #3. The VIN in the listing matches the VIN on the tag and the photos were numbered sequentially so it doesn't appear to be a "wrong photo" excuse.

I'm betting on #1 though that is not a new diff lock switch or it has been made to look used.

Hmmmmm. Caution is in order on that one.

C-Dan... can you pull the Marony (sp?) on that one?

-B-
[/quote]

The build sheet pertaining to the vin depicted in the photograph indicates that it DID NOT come from Toyota with front and rear locking diffs.

reading the description they do not mention the diff locks.

andre

True, but they went out of the way to include a specific close up photo of "the coveted switch". Why do you suppose they did that? ???

Just in case someone from IH8MUD is considering this vehicle now or in the future...

Suspect%20Cruiser.jpeg

VIN: JT3DJ81W4S0112436

(The forum image resizing makes it a little hard to read but if you Rt click on the above image and select Print, it will print full page and is readable.)

-B-

yeah, I noticed the close up. I'm wondering if the switch doesn't control the CDL? sneeky used car dealer trick maybe. I guess someone could always ask (if really interested) the seller the question does this have front and rear diff locks? the other thing the price is pretty low.

andre

The rotary switch has no effect on the CDL, only the front and rear locks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom