Should I buy this 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Want to find out what all the cheap guys think who get the good deals...considering picking this up...

'94 80 with lockers/white/grey lthr/121k..Never wheeled...was his "ski" rig

The good

ARB winch bar
Warn 10,000lb
33" BFG AT's
Lockers :D

The bad

It needs some TLC...has a small dent in the rear gate, dirty fluids, filters, wiper blades, bulbs that sort of shiot....general poor maintenance. Also has a leaky valve cover gskt and a slight low end knock on cold start. The only thing giving me some pause is that knock.

I can get it for $7,700....you guys reckon that's a deal? I gotta add an 80 to the collection :cool:

Does it pass smog? How does that work in Kali. these days; does he have to test it before he offers it up for sale? It'd be nice to see the results given the knock, which admittedly I can't diagnose and would scare me off! Did you hear it yourself, or did he just say it has one?

CJF

1FZ rebuild is not cheap, for 7.7K keep looking.

Walk away. This is the same kind of rig I ended up with. Figure a couple grand in parts over the next year or two, plus whatever labor.......and the reliability of a land rover.
I would wait for something with a better maint history. You'll thank us later
:)
G

as bigoted as you are on gas engines I would hold out for that diesel truck.

The knock is most likely piston slap that is delovoping becasue of the poor maintance, injector hanging up and not supplying enough fuel. It would still run for some time usually, yes it would need money to get it up to snuff. I would take it some where to have a prepurchase inspection for both you and the seller to see what is wrong and what maintance it needs and then you may be able to get it cheaper. later robbie

and a slight low end knock on cold start. The only thing giving me some pause is that knock.
Are you sure it is low end knock or is it the cold startup rattle that a lot of us have until the oil pressure comes up? If it is just startup rattle I would go for it.
robbie has good advice though, get it checked out. :cheers:

get him to do an oil change and see if it still has the knock could be really old oil. either way not good.

Fella's

Thx for the reply's....here's the scoop:

Does it pass smog?

Don't know...havent gotten that far, with poor maintenance I'd guess not

Was there a pre-purchase insp done?

Yes, the truck is 3hrs from me and I didn't want to waste my time on a POS so I had the guy take it to a local dealer...they are the ones who told me about the low knock. I haven't seen the truck yet myself

Could it be injector rattle?

I don't think so...I spoke to the tech who checked it out and quized him on that as I've owned an 80 before and knew that most of them rattle on start up...he described it as a low end knock for sure

Hold out for a diesel...

Of course! Spark plugs :flipoff2: My plan is to convert this to a TC'd 1HZ 5sp eventually...that's why I'm looking for something as cheap as possible w/ lockers. The 1FZ would only have to last about 18mo or so...

How was the compression test? Post some results of this. I personally have not seen bearing problems that have not been caused by something else. Like oil starvation. I have been into a few engines that sound like a rod knock, but all have turned out to be piston slap. This to most sound like a rod knock and can disapear with the engine warm. perfect for you to run for a while with some 20-50 w oil and then do a diesel transplant when it dies. I had piston slap for almost 60k mile in the first 1FZ I had after I lost the head gasket and replced it. It devoloped becasue of the extreme overheat I had. I used castoil syntec 5w50 for 3 years and it keep it running until I got a spare engine and had the time to rebuild. Not to say this will happen for you if you chose this truck. I would venture to say it is not a rod knock on this engine. You could cut open a oil filter to see if there is any metal in the filter and send a oil sample out for a check. later robbie

what kind of guy puts a winch on his truck to ski? it's been wheeled.

Junk said:

In the year I've had my '94, it's been out of service in the garage about 50% of the time. This is about the same as most of the land rover owners I know :frown:

I accept that part of it is my own fault for not checking it out before I bought it, there was a lot of maintenance that hadn't been done; and for whatever reason this truck was just ready to fall apart.

My point is that there are enough decent rigs out there...and that there even with 'cruisers there's a bit of a risk in buying a truck without a good service history.

G

I just passed on this thing....feeling pretty good about the decision. Thx for the input guys. I'll keep looking :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom