Will it fit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

stuck guy, how did you paint your roof? Did you do it yourself or get a shop? Whole thing or patches?

"There's a way of attaching the hi-lift to the top of the ARB bumper by using ARB's CB mounts. That works pretty well -- I wheel with another forum member has this set up on his 80 -- it's pretty slick." Norcal any idea on how this is done or some pics of it...sounds like it might be the perfect soultion for me.

PS. I think a 60" long bright orange hi-lift across the back bumper will help to deter those pesky tailgaters and who cares if it ends up in their windshield..if someone hit my truck hard enough to make my rear bumper go through their windshield they probably have bigger problems than a jack in the window.

Where ever you choose to carry a hi-lift make damn certain it is securely fastened. It could very easily become a leathal missile in a collision. I have one and I do not like carrying it at all.

Was in WalMart the other day and noticed they have cordora nylon cargo liner with a rubberized backing that looked like it would work good in a pinch to cover the carpet or a seat if you needed. They had one flat rectangle and one to fit a seat...$12.00 each.

FSIMIG so "you" have had a Z71 Tahoe...and a Discovery? Or what discovery are you talking about?

No ok the disco was my mom's and she let me have it till I bought a z71 and now I have a cruiser. No Urban Landcruiser did it and they bondo the roof and repainted it. No duct tape there.

semlin said:
stuck guy, how did you paint your roof? Did you do it yourself or get a shop? Whole thing or patches?

He doesn't have any tools...or a garage...leave him alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

TX_TLC said:
He doesn't have any tools...or a garage...leave him alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
Sense...you forgot sense...

mooker82 said:
...Norcal any idea on how this is done or some pics of it...sounds like it might be the perfect soultion for me...
Will do. Pics are at home. I'll look for the link to the CB mounts too. The process uses the two tabs on the top of the bull bar.

The rig belongs to dclee, he's on here from time to time -- he might chime in before I dig up the pics.

Awesome appreciate the help....Ive searched the web and can not find a good enough pic of the CB mount to figure out how to rig this up like you said.

NorCalDoug said:
Sense...you forgot sense...

:doh: My bad...sorry.

See how easy that is FSIMIG??? Admitting your wrong. Not taking a beating over 2 months to figure it out... :rolleyes:

stuck in GA said:
No Urban Landcruiser did it and they bondo the roof and repainted it. No duct tape there.

That's what I figured. I guess you earned the money to pay for that did you?

I am officially joining the ranks of those sick to death of FSIMG.

I'm using a 2" exhaust clamp with a small bracket I threw together to mount my CB antenna.

Get a little creative and I bet they would work for mounting a hilift on the ARB too...

Christo should find a way to make one of his tough sliders hollow with a cap so you can stuff the hi lift shaft in there. With 112 inches of wheelbase they ought to be long enough, eh?

DougM

60" HiLift mount. Would work for 48" also. Local electrical supply or hardware store. Zinc chromated steel conduit clamps for electrical channel (known as strut).
2 clamps with 4 nuts and u-bolt (Wide U not a radius)
4 wingnuts
1 piece of 3/16" bar with 2 extra holes drilled then cut in half to mount on U-bolts

Use the nuts to hold the U-bolt permanently in place. The plate and wingnuts retain the jack on the extended U-bolt ends with the nuts on the bolts acting as a stop point for the jack. The original jack spring retainer on the handle fits under the top rack rail holding the handle captive in place.

Total cost: $7.00 or so. Totally bullet proof. The lock and cable were another $5-6 dollars. $12-13 complete.

Last edited:
Bulletproof and cheap. No rattling. Out of the way and easily accessible. Doesn't conflict with other items on the rack including surfboards. :D

Last edited:
Here's a pic of Derek's rig with the jack attached to the bull bar.

He used 2 of these ARB CB antenna brackets (scroll down and look on the right side of the page) and a bolt/wing nut set up similar to what White Shark uses.
Derek_Lee_80_Rubicon_resize.JPG

I don't have room in the back, beyond the second row seats due to a poor man's, cheap-o version of the Outback Drawer System. I should have also mentioned that I called Hi-Lift first, to learn from the tech guy had he had no idea if the adapter would fit an 80. Go figure.

Lots of good info, ideas and issues put forth per a front bumper mount approach. Thank you. :D

Thanks for the pic Norcal...I really like that..Im going to have to check out these mounts and see how heavy duty they are and if they are worth the price vs an exhaust clamp like someone mentioned...i would have not thought to mount it like that on the ARB so thanks for the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom