Just bought 1991 80 tranny revs up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a 91 Cruiser and I've been experiencing a slight rev-up when the tranny shifts around 20-30mph Could changing the tranny oil solve this problem, or do you think the tranny is starting to go out? I've been searching on this forum all nite, read 81 pages searching for same issue, only found a couple.

If there are any related threads please link ;)

anyone near Beaverton Oregon that has good experience with 80's?

thanks mucho!
Mike

the filter and fluid needs changed.its clogged

same on the advice. If you just want to try just changing the fluids and cleaning off the filter you might be able to get good results. Chances are you might have to change the fluid more than once because most of the original fluid stays in the system. Don't do anything drastic yet (ex. rebuild or adjusting something) because changing the fluid is the cheapest low cost problem solving solution. Post your results here. Don't forget to do a search under key words like 3FE or 62 tranny( or transmission) because you will find the same transmission on the the 62 series.
Oh yeah, here's your welcome salute :flipoff2: ;)
tell us what happens cos I never changed my fluids since I got it in 2002.

ya thats good advice clean the filter dump new fluids.then drain after 100 miles or less.then the last step again would be drain change filter because there are particals inside of the filter ya can not clean.after another 20 thousand miles change again:D

You could also have the system flushed so that you have all new fluid.

Mark

Ok, newbie here, intro's later.

Getting a 91 80 (my 1st LC but not Toy 4x) in less than four days, Question?

Not knowing what the po had in the trans, what is the best most expencive fluid I should use when I change fluid and clean screen?

270K miles.....yeah!

IH8W8

Ok, newbie here, intro's later.

Getting a 91 80 (my 1st LC but not Toy 4x) in less than four days, Question?

Not knowing what the po had in the trans, what is the best most expencive fluid I should use when I change fluid and clean screen?

270K miles.....yeah!

IH8W8
you dont have to use a high dollar fluid.hell im using napa fluid.shifts purty:Dand filter

You could also have the system flushed so that you have all new fluid.

Mark

I think some people think a flush (power flush in particular) might be traumatic for the tranny especially when alot of sediment could be stirred up and clog up something and impede fluid flow to the tranny. Better to have some flow than none.
BTW, tell us what you find in the filter.

I think some people think a flush (power flush in particular) might be traumatic for the tranny especially when alot of sediment could be stirred up and clog up something and impede fluid flow to the tranny. Better to have some flow than none.
BTW, tell us what you find in the filter.
yes this is true i believe it is sort of the same concept when wallmart used to suck the oil out verses drain.the had to rebild alot of engines due to this.at least in my hometown

I just bought a 91 Cruiser and I've been experiencing a slight rev-up when the tranny shifts around 20-30mph

Of course you should drop the pan, clean/replace the flter, and change the fluid as people have suggested.

BUT, I don't believe that is your issue. A slight rpm "flare" between 2nd and 3rd (only!) is quite common on 91-92's and can almost be considered normal. It often can be eliminated by adjusting the tranny "kickdown" cable (which controls shift points) that runs from the tranny to the throttle body. (It's a really easy adjustment.) Regardless, it doesn't ever seem to be an indicator of impending doom.

Advanced search for "kickdown (our 80's section), and also put in my username if you like, cuz I've posted a lot on this.

Curtis

My 92 did the same thing. A fluid change can help a little, but adjusting the kick down seems to fix the problem. Try some Lucus Tranny fluid and adjusting the kick down before taking off the tranny pan. It's a real pain. Those tranny's are tough and I just changed the filter on mine. The filter looked great and I had the same problem that you did.

I would drain a little of the tranny fluid first and see how the mixture looks. Burnt smelling and dark, means that you should change it. Red and clear, might mean that it was changed recently but could still have a dirty filter. The thing you should see is if there are particles in the bottom of the pan of fluid you just drained. I would try the kickdown cable if you think the fluid is good. I forgot to mention that my fj62 with 209k also flares once in a while which most people also observe in their vehicles, so nothing much to worry about. I should have read your post a little more carefully.

I had the same issue with my 91 when I got it. Adjusted the cable and it was like driving a completely different vehicle.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=135408&highlight=kickdown

How is the adjustment done? Any Pictures? My tranny seems to have a slight slipage when I coast at about 5 mph and then hit the gas. You know, like your slowing down to a stop sign and then continue through. It's constant and I have gotten use to it. The rest of the gears shift without any problem. The first thing I did when I bought my 94 was change the fluid an filter. I never heard of dropping the fluid a second time. I also added Lucas to my new fluid too.

Here's something about shift point adjustments in 1993 and 94 models only( has 442 trans) but may be similar for 88-92 tranny. It's not the one you want, but at least you'll have an idea. http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/80throttle.php
BTW, you can use other keywords such as A440F or 440 in the advance search in the 60 and 80's forum.

I just had to tighten my kick-down cable I saw immediate results and acceleration. I think the cable must stretch with time and requires a little tightening. Have you tried this option yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom