Tranny Temp Gage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser Jimmy

Threads
I'm wanting to monitor the trans temp more accurately then the idoit light that comes on so I got an Autometer 4957 Trans Temp gage.

Hoping to understand the temps it operates at and at what point(s) will the temp rise based on changing conditions.

Then, it's getting a tranny flush and change up to Amsoil to undestand how much the temp drops.

Quesiton I have for the A440F diehards is where do you install the sending unit? The best place I have found is the output line to the trans cooler. However, the outer diameter of the sender unit is almost the same size as the inner diameter of the line. I don't want to constricit the flow of the fuild.

Any thoughts?

Not sure of how the sending unit is designed for your temp guage. Mine is a tiny little barb that screws into that same fitting you are talking about. It goes in to the hard line output for the tranny cooler, just before the soft line starts. It screws into a tapped hole, and there is a quick clip electrical type connection that clips onto the barb. I could take a picture this weekend if it would be helpful.

Jimmy,

I've seen a couple installed in the fluid lines with a "T" fitting. Compression fittings on each end then "T" in the middle with sender in the 90degree leg of the "T".

HTH,
Nick

zebrabeefj40 said:
Jimmy,

I've seen a couple installed in the fluid lines with a "T" fitting. Compression fittings on each end then "T" in the middle with sender in the 90degree leg of the "T".

HTH,
Nick

Thanks Nick.
I'll have to measure the tube and see about getting the 'T' at a local hardware store.

Greg,
Thanks for the help. I've got a 60 tranny at the house and compared the fittings on each of them. The 80's fitting is a little bigger on the outside but I think the ID is still the same. Autometer's sender unit is long and thick, so I can't memic the fitting like Rodney does.

Sending Unit installed.

Well, I got the Autometer's sending unit installed today. As well the unit's wiring.

The gauge is resting in one of the cup holders until I find a guage pod for it.

What I did to install the sending unit (on an 3FE FJ80):

1. remove the front drive shaft. This gives you more room to work with.

2. Remove the trans coolers outlet pipe. Reference the pics attached. The pipe on the left is the return line from the trans cooler. The pipe on the right is the outlet from the tranny to the cooler. (This is the location at which you understand the true tempurature coming out of the tranny.) The reason why I removed the trans outlet pipe was to block the port. I'll explain later.

3. The outlet pipe's union has a left flanking void. I drilled a whole into the void with a modded 9/32" drill bit (put it in a vise and made it a stubby.) On the 60 series this void was used for an oulet of some sort. I don't really know. So you might not be able to used this location. In which case you should follow Zebrabee's suggestion and 'T' it off.
Yes, I drilled onto the transmission. This is what I did. I'm not telling you that you need to follow my lead on this one.

4. Next, I had to buy a 1/8" NPT tap to thread the whole that will accomadate the Autometer sending unit. Make sure to tap the hole down to about the last 2 or 3 thread on the tap.

5. Use a blue shop towel or whatever and block the regular outlet hole of the cooler. Use something to hold the towel in place.

6. Clean out the newly drilled whole the best you can of all the aluminum fragments.

7. Start the engine and let it run about 3 to 4 seconds. Enough time for you to start the engine, bend down, watch the oil come out, bend back up and turn the key off.

8. Clean up the mess.

9. Screw in the sending unit.

10. Reconnect the outlet pipe of the tranny cooler.

11. Reconnect the drive shaft.

12. Now then, use some dielectric grease on the sending units elec. fitting.

13. Connect your wiring: ground, power and Illumination and the gauge will start to read the temp.

On the test drive I ran down about 4 miles away from home and came back. The temp started to climb to 180º. Then up to 220º when it finally came to rest. The tranny shifted in all four gears without a problem if you're wondering about the aluminum fragments.

I'm going out on the freeway tomorrow and do some more temp run ups and see what I get.
DSCF0254.JPG
DSCF0257.JPG

just a quick question, what is the normal operating temp on the transmission ???

cptmud said:
just a quick question, what is the normal operating temp on the transmission ???

Here are three values that either the FSM or I reference for op temps on the A440F.

FSM:
1. Normal operating temperature is 70-80ºC (158-176ºF)
2. A/T Oil Temp Light will turn on at 150ºC (302ºF) and turn off at 120ºC (248ºF).

Test results today
3. I started out at 180ºF today and I got at high at 266ºF.

Was 266 F at highway speeds? How long did it stay at that temp? Did your AT warning light ever go off before you did the install of the temp gauge? Thanks sharing all the info.

The temp gradually increased while on the highway. After I got off the highway it did lower some but it did not go before 255º. The A/T Oil Temp light never came on during this occasion.

On separate occasions the light comes on while changing to a different interstate. (I70 > I465). But before I can stop and pull over the light goes out as higher speed air passes over the A/T cooler.

I just installed a temp gauge and sender like you did....I was getting temps at or above 240 today....how has your tranny held up??? Any updates on this install?? I never saw the waring light...is this sender location before or after the atf goes to the cooler??

Here are three values that either the FSM or I reference for op temps on the A440F.

FSM:
1. Normal operating temperature is 70-80ºC (158-176ºF)
2. A/T Oil Temp Light will turn on at 150ºC (302ºF) and turn off at 120ºC (248ºF).

Test results today
3. I started out at 180ºF today and I got at high at 266ºF.

Wow that runs hot! Good thing you are using good tranny fluid. Sounds like these trannies need an additional cooler. Different tranny but at 250F running some cheap fluid my fluid got burnt. I changed to some better stuff after that and added a cooler at the same time. I've only seen it reach 200F towing a heavy load up a steep hill. It's normally 150-170.

I was in a tow truck recently and saw that the gauge for tranny temp went up to 400F. I asked the driver if he ever saw it that hot and he said he never pays attention to it so some trannies can probably operate at a higher range but I hope that company wasn't skimping on quality fluid.

The tranny finally sh&t the bed. Not because of the tranny rebuild but because I did not have the Torque Converter serviced (i.e. rebuilt). The lockup in the torque converter was burnt up and needed to be replaced. When I rebuild my tranny I did not get that serviced. Which I should have.

after a bunch of cleaning and testing seems to be running less than 200 now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom