Completely Biased Thread on Best BJ42/3B Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.vicsmba.com
My wife and I have a 1981 BJ42 from Canada. I won't go through the non-drivetrain upgrades (like stainless screws and bolts, bedlliner paint, powder coating, on-the-fly adjustable power steering, tach, etc, unless anyone is interested -- ask.

Many people ignore the gearing related to what transmission and tire size and lift. I'll start there. Toyota had 3.70 and 4.11 gears with 4 or 5 speeds and 30 inch tires. Some math will tell you that the final drive of a 4 speed with 3.70 gears and 30 inch tires is approximately the same as the final drive with a 5 speed, 4.11 gears, and 33 inch tires. This is how ours is set up -- so we have a Toyota stock final drive more or less, with the advantage of lower gears when needed and larger tires which are always needed :) We have a 3" OME lift with one leaf removed from the rear (to make it sit flat instead of tipped forward).

The 3B has many iterations. Toyota made the same engine for commercial trucks -- with turbos. My intention was to build the engine enough to travel on the highway at a cruising speed of 75 (AZ speed limit) while still having the low-end torque of the 3B. See gearing -- most important to start there!

I purchased an AXT turbo and intercooler from AU. Many people don't know this but a turbo does NOTHING for power. It is not the compression that gives power. The turbo performs one function -- compresses the intake air. This increases the oxygen. This allows the burning of more fuel. If you don't add more fuel, it is of no use at all. Intercooler also allows more oxygen with lower temps.

Increasing the compression with a turbo requires that more air be allowed into the engine and to exit the engine. If not, heat will increase dramatically. We used a K&N intake filter and 2.5" exhaust.

Next comes the fuel. The 3B injection pump is NOT adjustable except for a limit on the max fuel when your foot is to the floor. We rebuilt the pump with 15% across the board more fuel. Great -- gotta get it into the engine though. So we got injectors with 15% more fuel.

Now we get to the fun part. So the intake and exhaust pipe are big enough (down pipe, intercooler too). The intercooler helps not only drop temps. but cooler air is also more compressed and has more oxygen. However ... there are intake and exhaust valves. So we forced the air in, sucked it out, added fuel ... and it ran too hot.

So we got a new (from Toyota) head and purchased 13-BT intake and exhaust valves and had the engine machined for these valves. There is no real difference in the heads except the bolts that hold it to the block so this is easy. Follow 13-BT instructions for valve adjustment. And to make up for the lesser number of bolts on the head, we used stronger studs.

The result: it will do at least 85 on flat ground to rolling hills (I have not gone beyond that due to suspension and brake issues, not power issues). It will cruise all day long at 75 mph. EGT temps remain in the 600-850 range which is excellent. Max boost (with a controller) is set to 12 lbs. Which is all it needs. We live at 3500 feet altitude but 20 miles in any direction is 6,000 feet (and up to 8,000 feet not much further). When climbing out of our valley and maintaining 75 EGT will creep to mid 900s. I did set the "max fuel" setting high and with the right foot all the way on the floor I get a lot more power but EGTs still stay under 1,100. Smoke is only seen when floored like this or lugging too low. Mostly you never see smoke.

BTW I have two probes, one analog, one digital, one before the turbo, one after -- I am confident my numbers are correct. Oddly, there is not a huge difference despite what one read between before and after the turbo numbers.

And in 4 low with 4.11 gears (and ARB lockers front/rear) it goes anywhere with a final drive as Toyota intended ... and with 5 speeds some pretty low gears.

The point of this post I suppose is that EVERYTHING must be addressed as a system -- gear rations, transmission, turbo boost, intercooler, intake and exhaust, fuel levels at the injector and pump levels, and the valves in the head. If you do everything you can easily get a "driver" for the street that will cruise at 75 and at the same time get the famous Land Cruiser off-road low gear capability.

No -- when going at 75 it no longer gets 25 mpg. 18-20 is more like it. BUT -- if one drives at 55 on the freeway it still gets 25-30 mpg. MPG is based really on fuel used which is based on your right foot and how well the turbo feeds air to burn the fuel properly. Black smoke is merely wasted fuel -- it did not burn. On the other hand, never smoking can mean a lean condition and lead to over heating.

When I see builds that advertise big V-8 engines and 4 speeds and 65 mph cruising speed I cringe. The 3B can be built for mileage and performance at modern street levels while keeping the off road capability we expect from a diesel Toyota.

Downside -- it was NOT cheap to do all this. But that is what my wife wanted, so she got it :)

17432_1335530834223_1409661701_953673_5434172_n.jpg

Never smoking is what you want from a diesel. Diesels run lean and like it. The leaner the better. Don't confuse gas combustion with diesel. They are two very different creatures.

I would say that is somewhat correct though we may be arguing syntax. Leaner the better is not true. You could turn off the fuel pump and things would get very lean very fast, and the truck would go no place. Any oxygen that passes through without a matching amount of fuel is WASTED potential. You could have added more fuel and gotten more power or you could have added less air and had the boost pressure lower, hence running cooler. I had a friend with a Ford 7.3 who compound turboed it and got almost 50 lbs of boost ... and did nothing near as radical with the fuel (chip essentially). He did in fact over heat and die. Largely due to heavy right foot, not watching gauges, other errors -- but if the fuel was properly matched to the air then he likely would have been OK. It is true that being someone lean is much less harmful in a diesel than a combustion engine ... but it is still better to match up the optimal air-to-fuel ratio ... always true. Just less harmful if lean than a gasser.

I like your approach with making everything work together well as a system. Sounds like a very quick 42!

As Gerg said, my only recommendation is to change the part about running lean leading to overheating. That is a definitely a gasoline engine thing.

Too much boost can lead to hot intake air temperatures if the turbo/intercooler are not setup for it, but don't confuse that with just a lean Air/Fuel ratio.

Last edited:
Just a couple of points.

If you want to boost to 12psi and intercool, then you can burn about 70% more fuel than non turbo. Is your 15% extra fuel a typo?

Toyota never made a 3B-T. The 13BT is a direct injection engine with completely different pistons, head and injection system.

No -- I did 15% only on the pump and injection. Actually the injectors advertised 20% more power ... so based on stock power I said 15% -- maybe they do more. The valves are 13BT sized -- no, not direct injection and so forth. I kind of figured the size was just a good match for a turbo Toy engine of that size. Ours will cruise all day long at 75, up and down hills (except the most extreme) with EGT temps in the 600-800 range. If I thrash it on a steep hill I can still do 75 in 4th although temps hit 900. This is compared to the old setup I had (the Chinese "stock" head) which regularly hit 1300+ degrees and was not able to manage a constant reliable 75 mph nor would it put out a full 12 lbs boost (which I now limit with a boost controller -- I could get more). However, my info is not totally scientific. I bumped the injection, changed the injectors, and put in the new head ... all as one "process." Which part contributed what is unknown to me.

Where I live it is often 100+ degrees out, 8,000 feet elevation at the end of the drive, and more than 6% grades for many miles. Maybe I could get 70% more fuel ... but I am happy with the performance -- I can go speed limit always (75) -- and the temps, which for longevity is important. I bet you are right -- more fuel, more boost, I could get more. I went conservative. It is not a drag racer. It just needs to go on the freeway fast enough to get me to the trails without melting down ... and still have great off-road capability.

Meaning I am perfectly happy and am just trying to point out that a turbo by itself is useless, increased intake and exhaust is nice, but bumping the injection pump and injectors and increasing the valve sizes is great.

I never bothered to increase my fuel after installing my turbo. The massive (ok in a 3B it's all relative!) increase in performance (like being able to do any hill in 4th gear which I couldn't when it was NA) was a huge bonus for me just as is. I may turn up the fuel in future, but I might not.

I have a 2.5" exhaust, no intercooler (yet). EGT pre-turbo and maxes at about 950, cruises in the 600-800 range. My truck doesn't smoke. Boost at 10psi on the highway, under acceleration it will trip the waste gate at 15psi.

When it was NA, the EGT's could hit 1300.

"Chinese "stock" head"? Just a typo? My turbo manifold came from China but I didn't know you could get an aftermarket 3B head from China.

Just a note of caution; these are 30+ year-old engines and running at 75mph with boost is certainly not what they were designed for. Hate to see you break something.

Be kind to the old girl... just my $0.02 worth. :)

:beer:

Last edited:
I have many many miles with 12 lbs max boost (I have a boost controller) and 900 EGT up/down smaller hills at 75 mph and cruising on flats is often 800 EGT. I live in AZ at high altitude and often over 100 degrees outside and A/C running. I think I really nailed it. The larger valves I think made the most difference (more than the cooler). Long steep grades I drop to 65 as I don't like over 1100 EGT. I think the 5 speed and 4.11 and 33 tires help make it all work. Changing one thing at a time without a full design is not so good. I did do it over a couple years, but I had a plan. The head was a Chinese knockoff. The factory one, much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom