Steering Knuckles leaking Diff oil after rebuild. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I decided to as a fall project last October, to rebuild my 94 FZJ 80 knuckles. A total rebuild. I bought a Man-A-Fre rebuild kit with new axle seals, upper and lower trunion bearings, races, wheel bearings and races, felt wipers, gaskets, the whole thing. Everything comes apart good. I inspected and clean my birfields and axles. Axles looked good upon inspection and after I washed everything in my parts washer.

I swapped birfields to the other sides for longevity sake. Axles seals went in without a problem. I even used a little trick of applying a thin film of gasket silico ne to the outer edge of both seals. Everything went together well.

About a month ago, I start to notice my RF knuckle has oil dripping from underneath onto my tire inconsistently. The LF did too, but not as much. So I'm thinking what the hell... I take it to a local LC shop that happens to be JT Differentials and is the Nitro gear internet seller. They do a lot of landcruisers.

So they tell me for future reference, don't buy Man-A-Fre rebuild kits, as they are crap. Ok, but now I agree. So they install a new seal kit this past week, and I see a slight amount of differential gear oil again building up under the knuckle again, but not yet dripped.

What they heck can this be?? I have had the cruiser for 1.5 years and before I rebuilt the knuckles, it did ot leak. Any suggestions. I will BTW, be taking it back to JT, since it's leaking again.

Thanks in advance

Were the axle shafts grooved at all where the seal rests? If they are then it could start leaking again very shortly after a rebuild.

my $.02, if you are absolutely sure the seals are good quality and the inner shafts are not grooved, I would guess excessive play in the spindle bushings allowing lateral movement and destroying the seals prematurely.
I would start with OEM seals, and make a super detailed inspection of the seal surface and either sleeve the shafts or replace the inner shafts and take a really good look at the spindle bushings and make sure not to tear up the seals when the shafts get slid back in.

What is the condition of the grease in the knuckle, good or soup? Depending on the grease used, some can separate, give up some of it's oil, making it look like an oil leak.

Breathers clogged?

What is the condition of the grease in the knuckle, good or soup? Depending on the grease used, some can separate, give up some of it's oil, making it look like an oil leak.

Yeah this seems to be very common.

I'm betting on the clogged breather.

I agree with Tools and Bilt4Me, both. Especially during warm months. I would extend and relocate your front breather to the engine compartment. It's a $5 mod. Search diff breather relocate or diff breather extend or something like that. Basically, unhook the OEM hose, attach 1/4" fuel line (you'll need 5-6' of it) from AutoZone or wherever, buy a fuel filter for $2-3 while at AutoZone. Zip tie or clamp it to your fire wall above your brake booster. Done.

I have the same problem, replaced seal and still there. I thought the molly looked as though It was seperating when I Installed the tubes and didn't like It. I believe this Is your problem, I plan to put high quality molly In over the next few years unless I get energenic and pull It appart. Mine doesan't drip it looks wet. When my breather was plugged It pulled Molly Into the diff fluid.

Last edited:
I use Valvoline Palladium moly grease in the knuckles for reference. Did not appear to have any separation in the tubes or after use. Maybe that would be a better quality grease. Hopefully no one topped off your knuckles with 90W gear oil.........

Pictures?

What does the grease in the knuckles look like, is the level correct?

The knuckles are not really "sealed", it's common for them to seep, weep.

I just did my LX450 front axle with the Marlin kit. I used Red Line CV grease with red moly. 300 mile with no leaks so far.

I know this is an old thread, but using the good old search function, have the same issue. Rebuilt knuckles with the Cruiser Outfitters kit 6 months ago. I have barely driven it as I have been doing engine work and noticed seeping on both axles. I tried to recess the new seals slightly, so not sure if it is leaking at the seals, or just natural separation of the moly?

16626038367641154285231433848412.jpg

16626039456829126807477038619125.jpg

If it’s gear oil you should be able to smell it.
😉

Thanks for the advice guys. I tried to fill the knuckles 3/4 full, but I was surprised they accepted more than I expected.

Tried laying under her sniffing the seep tonight. Not getting the strong gear oil smell, but found a drop and it definitely had a little light yellow tint to it. May be replacing the axles & seals again yet.

I wouldn't be to concerned at this point. All greases can separate when setting dormant. Put some miles and it keep an eye on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom