Rear ARB Bumper With Swing Outs Install Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice.

My install took much longer (~5 hours).

I ended up deciding to reuse my factory sensors, so that required some cutting and grinding, in addition to having to extend the wiring on 3 of the 4 sensors. Each wire was cut, spliced onto new wire, covered with the plastic sheathing, and wrapped in tape. It looks great, but man, what a PITA. The good news, is that even with the 35" tire, all of my sensors are working proplerly. I am glad I went ahead and did it.

I still have not wired the lighting; I ordered an OE 7-pin connector off of eBay, but it got lost in the mail, so I am waiting for a replacement. It will be easy to figure out once it gets here though.

Awesome. If you have time can you share details of the sensor install (measurements, hole sizes etc,etc). I want to do it, but will have to wait till after I get back rom Colorado

I eyeballed it! :)

As to the hole size, I just used a hole saw and a round file to get the exact fit. The middle sensor on the passenger side is actually installed upside down (on purpose), because the latch mechanism in the tire carrier would not allow the sensor to be installed in the correct orientation.

I'll take some photos later and post them so you can see what I mean.

I will say that the little plastic sensor covers have to be ground to fit into a round hole.

I finally got my lights working correctly. Thanks to help from JamesC. I purchased a tail light converter and wired it through a 7 pin plug that is plugged into the vehicle socket. Wiring is straight forward. Match the colors and tuck it away. The converter has an adhesive pad to stick to the body. I tucked mine away up on the body and routed the wires through the bumper to the lights. When need to tow a trailer I will just unplug the bumper lights since not needed with the trailer back there.

Ready to install
View attachment 1100896

Where I mounted the converter.

View attachment 1100898

Harness plugged in

View attachment 1100899

Lights working
View attachment 1100900

Jerry can swing out will be installed this week. Then at the end of next week its off to Colorado for a week.

What does the tail light converter do???

I am having a hell of a time wiring my rear carrier, and I think it might solve my problems! Can you enlighten me, someone?

The tail light converter takes an intended combined-circuit and splits it for an independent. Normal two elelment bulb (compound) trailer circuits carry the turn signal and brake signal combined on the same wire. This box allows you to light exactly what you want to light when you want to light it. :)

I guess I need to order one then. I've been trying to figure out wiring for the last 4 hours.

Now I know my problem.

@TJsTACOMA used the ARB wiring but we ran all new. I think there is some opportunity there for things to be correct for Australia but not for US trucks? Theoretically the ARB lights could work without the converter because they are dual element.

I got mine installed today!

167c4162-aef8-4d36-96f3-6a093a1d99f5_zpssc5dziwn.jpg

@TJsTACOMA used the ARB wiring but we ran all new. I think there is some opportunity there for things to be correct for Australia but not for US trucks? Theoretically the ARB lights could work without the converter because they are dual element.

The ARB harness was good for me. Thanks to @JamesC for the converter help. Worked great and very easy to install. Wish we could all get together and discuss our issues and envy each others cruisers.

Cross posted this in another thread:

Also, to everyone with the ARB swing outs:

The latch mechanisms SUCK! You can make them much better though, and here's how:

Remove the latch mechanism from the carrier (the little mechanism with the black rubberized handle). Remove the two hex bolts that hold the two halves together. You now can access the two parts we are going to modify; the part with the rubberized handle and the part that the handle is attached to (via a zinc coated spring). Study the contact areas of the two parts, and notice now rough the contact surfaces are (stamped steel). Use a lapping wheel on an angle grinder, and carefully remove all of the bumps where the two come into contact (do this for both of the parts). Also use the grinder to carefully take off just the tip of the corner of the sear too. Now use fine sandpaper to go over the areas you have just hit with the grinder, and sand until you get a smooth surface (I used 600 grit sand paper). Now coat all contact points with a liberal coating of all weather, low temperature grease (I used Royal Purple). Also grease the two hex bolts that the latch pivots on. Reassemble.

The latch is now much easier to unlatch; the initial force required to unlock the mechanism is much less, and much smoother.

I know pics would be much more useful, but I didn't take any when I did mine.

@MScruiser - does your suggested fix make the swing out easier to latch? You mention it's easier to unlatch, but not to latch. On mine latching the tire swing out requires a lot of force, perfectly directed.

@MScruiser - does your suggested fix make the swing out easier to latch? You mention it's easier to unlatch, but not to latch. On mine latching the tire swing out requires a lot of force, perfectly directed.

My issues come from the black end pieces fitting very tight causing me to have to slam hard for them to latch. My latches release fine.

It makes both latching and unlatching nearly effortless. Before, I had to slam it shut; now it's much gentler.

Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone know of a link or if one exists for the install guide for this bumper?

Have searched online and can’t seem to find anything. Thanks

Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone know of a link or if one exists for the install guide for this bumper?

Have searched online and can’t seem to find anything. Thanks

Buy a used bumper?

We (Cruiser Outfitters) definitely have used paper copies from various installs but likely have a digital version too.

I did and thank you for the offer. Ended up emailing ARB and they shot me over a PDF almost instantly.

Cool, glad you have it sorted.

I suppose I could look this up myself, but does anyone have the weight comparison between the ARB and some of the custom shop offerings? Looks like the ARB may be a few lbs less?

@OregonLC
I guess it all depends on the swing outs you use L and R, or if you just use the blanks for the rear ARB. I'd imagine the weight difference is nominal before you start mounting 33"+ tires/ jerry cans, etc. Maybe you can find weight by part number online somewhere.
upload_2018-2-8_13-34-4.png

the front bumpers show weight figures for shipping and mounting, etc.
upload_2018-2-8_13-47-14.png

upload_2018-2-8_13-47-50.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom