Sun Visors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mongoose2231

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hey all, I am thinking to build some sun visors for my rig. Mine are old and cracked in some places. Was thinking to maybe cut them out of some black acrylic material, or should I use thin plywood and then dress them in vinyl or leather? This is what I had in mind. I like the exposed hardware look too.
KJL,M.png
KLIJUOPK.png
JHFJJK.png

Or make them from a clear acrylic colored material like they use in planes, old cars and on boat wind deflectors. You could match the color to the exterior vehicle color too.

What about tinted colored plex sheets? It would block down the sun but still give visibility.

Bronze

or

Gray

Color_______Solar Energy___Visible Light
Colorless_____85%__________92%
Gray 2074____24%__________12%
Bronze 2370__20%__________10%

It's a good first start rendering.
Now, since you are making them yourself. What more can be done?
Since they might be ABS or some other plastic, you might lose the ability to store temporary items up there (if you ever do that) like sun glasses or something since they'll be flat and slippery.
Might be cool if the 'up' side had some sort attachment thingamabob of some sort to allow the visor to serve a double function but not be intrusive.....

Also I think car manufacturers make sun visors kind of flexible to help out the face of the driver during a crash if the visor is in that wrong position.

Excellent point. I was thinking of a plastic pouch added afterward with adhesive to the back side, to hold paper stuff, nothing fancy. I think that softer more flexible materials can be had as well but it remains to be decided. I found the hardware, i'll use plastic but I am still deciding on the material to use. maybe foam board wrapped in vinyl.

think someone did this over in the 40 section, they made or used aircraft visors.....I think. Pretty long thread someplace

I'm planning on either replacing mine with something out off a modern truck with mirror and extension piece, or just recovering mine with an added custom pocket or something.
Either way, it will be covered in cordura, to match the seats and custom door panels.

Show us your seats and door panels please.

The seats just have SOR Tuff Ducks and the door panels are waiting until the exterior gets painted. I ordered a sample set of cordura colors, thinking of going khaki with door panels and visors, to offset brown truck and brown seat covers.

Very nice. I saw the price in the other thread. Wow. I am going to go ahead and make a pair to see how and what they be looking like and then see what final cost will be.

Very nice. I saw the price in the other thread. Wow. I am going to go ahead and make a pair to see how and what they be looking like and then see what final cost will be.

I considered making myself as well. At the time I had access to 66 3-axis HAAS CNCs. Not so much anymore :(

But there are all machined aluminum with a ball mount. They will swing and extend in ANY direction you can imagine. Far more range than stock can ever do. Plus they extend out another 10" or so.

I wouldn't mind paying that kind of money, but I find myself never really using the visors beyond just flipping them down and back up again. I'm thinking of tearing mine down and reusing the hardware. Will update my build thread with pics as this happens.

The Rosen's are way cool and I'm sure work great. Being able to look through the lens is a nice feature.

I use the stock 60 visors, but have a neat little extra. We owned a Mini Copper, one day I noticed the side visor looked about the right size, shape, and had a mount that like it would fit in a 60.

I "Borrowed" the visor from the Mini and did a test fit. The visor mount holes and 60 roof grab handle are very close. A few weeks later, I found a mini being parted and paid $2 for the visor. I enlarged the mount hole and this is what I ended up with.

***Well crap, I don't have a picture, I'll post some later today. Trust me, it works and looks good.

I did a test that worked really well. I took a thick plexyglass plate, and tinted both sides of it. It might not be your Jet visors, but its pretty damn close.

I just used the existing hardware and am working on a hinge design to mount to the plexy sheet itself. Ill post pictures when its all done.

I did a test that worked really well. I took a thick plexyglass plate, and tinted both sides of it. It might not be your Jet visors, but its pretty damn close.

I just used the existing hardware and am working on a hinge design to mount to the plexy sheet itself. Ill post pictures when its all done.

Please keep us posted. This is a project I'm looking to do soon and I've been toying around with the idea of using some of those As Seen on TV visor attachments, but making a custom set out of tinted plexiglass sounds more appealing to me. I may have accidentally thrown my old visors away when I stripped out the interior, so I'll have to look for new mounting hardware too.

Still debating whether or not to cover behind the visors with vinyl like I'm planning on doing to the sides and rear hatch areas.
8905uH0OyS5bZejQe78Wb36h-iID0M8AEpPnJFUa_7s=w1420-h799-no

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom