Unobtainium (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pretty excited to see the inner shift boot/price. Thanks for doing this!

Something simple to reproduce that seems to be lacking or hard to find and order is the multiple little clips Toyota used to secure spark plug wires, vacuum hoses, heater hoses, etc...

There seems to be quite a variety but just some simple ones would help to restore an engine compartment and organize things.

I thought I had the proper part number for the clips that clipped to the fuel line and carried the vacuum line over to the distributor, but when I ordered them oniline they later told me they were discontinued. Makes sense. But some double and triple clips might be nice, some heater hose parellelers and or crosses could help. Look at an FJ60 for an example of all kinds of hose clips, they could be useful and if a variety was available a guy could pick some as needed to dress things up versus guessing at part numbers from Toyota.

Something simple to reproduce that seems to be lacking or hard to find and order is the multiple little clips Toyota used to secure spark plug wires, vacuum hoses, heater hoses, etc...

If this is the type of clips you are talking about, I think the best place to find these would be in the junk yards. It doesn't have to be for a Land Cruiser. Any Toyota should have similar clips.

photo.JPG

If only I had a junk yard resource, not much in my area.

But yes, general arrangements like that would be handy.

Came across this thread just when I was looking for alternative inner t-case shift boots. Looking forward to them being ready.

Vae now needs another inner shift boot and I need one too for the 99% finished 2NDCHNC.

Grommets ... I recall several guys looking for fuel line grommets that prevent the fuel lines from rubbing the tub for the in-cab style fuel tanks... I believe some firewall grommets are Unobtanium from toyota as well

I really appreciate seeing all the ideas being shared. As with the inner shift boot, I may not sign up for something right away, but as more people talk about it, and it's looking like a problem 50 people want to solve (or if it's broken on my own car :)), then I'll definitely feel the incentive to take it a step further. Sometimes the major barrier is just the ability to obtain/borrow a physical sample of the part (the fuel line grommet is one such example). It doesn't matter if it's a deteriorated part, but there needs to be enough material left to be able to take measurements with. A grommet or a boot is just something that has to fit right.

Sign me up for at least 6 of those inner transfer shifter boots. I need 2 for my rigs and i have mates that always comment on their legs cooking in their car while driving. Also, at least for the aus models the 83 and 84 floor pan is different and the hole for the shifter is bigger so it won't work on them. Same with the outer boot too sadly.....

Another idea, though you seem to be focused primarily on rubber parts:

This may be totally "pie in the sky" and not necessarily even an attainable goal - but I would probably pay an good amount of money for a reproduction stock-looking steel wheel, complete with hubcap clips, but wide enough (say, 8 inches) for modern tires, with the correct backspacing.

The way I look at it - yes, they are still available from the factory, but you pay $160 for them, then another $150 - $200/wheel to have them widened in most cases, plus shipping at $50-$80/wheel each direction, X5. So let's ballpark it at ~$450 a wheel to get a widened, stock steelie that could safely run modern 10.5 or 12.5in tires. X5, that's $2250 in wheels. If you could find a way to knock a hundred or two off the price, I know I'd be willing to buy it.

Before someone jumps down my throat - I realize 10.5in tires can be mounted on a 5.5in. wheel, but I see more and more shops refusing to do it, and fewer and fewer 10.5in tires. Just thinking of the future.

I agree , a stock rim copy in 8" width would work fine for both 10.50 and 12.50 tires - which is what most of us want to run anyway . We all love the stock wheel , but cramming even a 10.50 tire onto a 6" rim is a no-no . I understand people do it , but it's really hard on the tire compared using a wider rim , way worse than putting 12.50's onto an 8" rim since most of those are floatation sizes and have more forgiving sidewalls . In my opinion , even better would a 16" wheel to avoid any brake clearance issues and offer two backspacing options which is easy enough to do - both 3.5" & 4.5 bs so folks have a flexibility when it comes to where the tires are in relation to the body line .
Sarge

I'd even take a repro, wider "late model" 40/60 series wagon wheel, to do away with the hubcap clip problem...They are also, apparently, unobtanium.

[QUOTE="Weber Sarge, post: 9550563, member: 72835"even better would a 16" wheel both 3.5" & 4.5 bs
Sarge[/QUOTE]

This would also allow for use on FZJ-80s

The inner shift boot is basically done, but there's a last minute delay, because the tech forgot to take out the tiny TEQ symbol and I'm trying to clean that up. There's a risk of damaging the mold, so I may have to let this one go. Here's a quick shot:

boot.jpg

The '75 to '78 Air Intake Hose should be in stock by Friday. SCCR got an early copy since he's prepping his truck for sale. You can check out his pic here.

Looks awesome! Any idea on price? I'll definitely be signing up for one as soon as my cruiser fund recovers a bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom