what diff and t case gear oil should i use on my fzj80 1996 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i went to my local auto parts store and the guys told me to put 75 90 gl5 in all the boxes so i bought 3 bottles of it nd now im reading alot of people put 75- 140 or 75-110 in the rear on line? should i return the one of the bottles or should i just keep it and use them.
my fzj80 has 200k miles too.

I've been running 75-90 Mobil One synthetic, but prolly unnecessary, because I still change on the 5ks.

Regardless, 75-90 is what Mr. T calls for and many contend cheap dino changed more frequently suits better than less frequent synthetic changes, which I buy into, at least the more frequent change part.

Dunno how big your bottles are but gonna need ~10 quarts for all three diffs and I'd suggest having new plugs on hand, along with a pump for the filling the center.

Remember to free the fill plugs before draining.

Last edited:
8.5 quarts so 9 will do if you want to save yourself the $12 ;)

You must have the pump for the center fill.....otherwise, you'll need the extra and a little oil dry. Bahahahaha.

I don't have the VC, so it's a ~10 quart affair, for me.

Edited: I didn't have the VC. Guess technically I still do not have the VC, although there's no need to change the fluid in a stationary, entombed testament to my own stupidity.

I just run redline 75w90 in all three. Yeah im that guy that spends more money than needed for peace of mind.

75w90. Cheap dino. I try to buy/find gallon jugs and fill with pump.

Would this oil be okay

1417062050745-1789641956.jpg

Looks like what I have been using. I have a bucket of coastal brand 80w90 gl5. I figured go Dino and I wouldn't feel as bad if had to change due water, etc. cringe at the posts where they filled with synthetic then had to drain a short period after. $$$

Mobil 1 75w-90 in the t case changed every 30k.

Cheap 80w-90 in the diffs changed yearly, or after submersion.

I've been running 75-90 Mobil One synthetic

That's what I just put in my '97.
Probably won't get changed for a few years because I only put about 5k on it per year, and I don't dunk them. If I did it would be in salt water and then I'd have lots of other problems.

Why would you change it after you submersed it?

because when submersed, there is a big chance it will draw in water, and need to be changed afterwards........

because when submersed, there is a big chance it will draw in water, and need to be changed afterwards........
Just curious how they draw in water if all the breathers are connected and working properly? Mine have been extended into the engine compartment.

Through your knuckle seals. If you haven't done so yet, extend your diff breathers. Search for it on here and you will find it. It's a 1/2 banana job and will cost you $5 per diff. Worth every penny.

I use cheap Dino 75-90 and change every 6 months. Which means they get changed every 4-5k miles. But I enjoy changing it and I drive through a lot of water and slip when I take my 80 to go fishing.

Would this oil be okay

This is what we use in lots of rigs. May or may not need new plugs but highly recommend new gaskets on whatever plugs. Proper torque on plugs usually seals them well and prevents damage to the gaskets and housing threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom