Builds 4bt cummins 96 FZJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First full up from a full tank 345 miles and 20.6 gal. 16.5 mpg

That is with a lot of short trips and a fuel leak issue where the gauge broke open. Not sure how much leaked then probably not that much

Starting some PM on the drivetrain and then hope to do a small road trip in 2 weeks.

Lift spacers in the rear with airlift bag
Rear brakes and rotors
Front rebuild brakes and rotors
Caster correction if my slight wobble 45-50 doesn't go away

ya that is around town overdrive off for the most part. planning on running around another tank that way before running with it on. i kind of figure it will get better around town than on the hwy. i may have a slight boost leak. get a whistle around 15psi a few of my intercooler clamps on my 2.5" pipes are maxed out

Drives awesome!! Really liked the coil spring feel.

Thanks for letting me take it for a drive. Made me think about how I drive my cummins 6bt in regard to shift points and if I change my throttle position to make tranny change gears.
IMG_1558.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG

You better not think about it too hard. Every time my Chevy shifts I think was that what I wanted. I have been driving a manual since I started driving. My Chevy since april 2014 and the landcruiser since late 2012 are my first autos. I think I'm over thinking it, I over analyze every detail

Damn engineering degree it kills me sometimes.

My motto: If it ain't broken take apart and fix it...

Actually I lied. I had a work truck for 4 years that was auto I hated it. My main vehicle was always a manual. Maybe that is a better statement.

Just took a short weekend wheeling trip with the local club TAC to Tuttle creek KS.

A little over 300 miles didn't start with a fresh tank and filled up after wheeling 306 miles wasn't completely empty 18.4 gallons including about 3 hours of run time in the off-road park.

16.5mpg if you take al least a gallon off for wheeling looking at about 18

That was with a tire on the roof to add to the aerodynamics of my blue brick

Sorry forgot to take a single picture.

1500 miles in still haven't gotten above the 17mpg mark but just now starting to use OD below 50. Bit it's getting cold too so more idling and more driving my gas truck that starts easy and warms up much quicker.

Need to get a TC lockup switch added and the intake heater hooked up it is in the garage at night but 26 after work yesterday and 1 10 year old optima battery isn't helping at all

Yea I have not gotten above 16 mpg on mine yet. But that is with 285x75's on there so the odometer is off a bit. My tc lockup wasn't working for a bit. Once I got it working it makes a world of difference on the hwy!

Grid heater makes a huge difference too. We have had single and negative temps here it took a while to start without it but with it she fires just like its warm out.

Keep up the great work!

My temps around here are not near what you guys get but I still plug everything in if it gets down to freezing. Right now I have a manual grid heater button on the dash and my block heater cord should get here today.

Ya I have the grid heater plumbed just not wired. I need to get on that. My dodge I always plugged in below freezing if I could and still struggled below 5 with grid heater.

TC is functioning just to factory Toyota spec 55 lock up in OD 43 lockup in drive OD off.

How is the compushift working for you. Or did you go 442? I'd love to talk to someone that is using it with the diesel. I've never used one always had manuals up to this point.

I am using the compushift with the a343. Its not bad. I pretty much have no choice of od off. The shifter is 2nd or 4th. Tc locks up at 50. If I am getting on it hard I kinda have to let up on the throttle a touch to get it to shift up. But my tps might be out of adjustment. I need to re calibrate that again.

Jess, I have a grid heater for a 6bt (used) but works fine sitting in a box if you need it.

I need to read up more on the compushift abilities. but I ran across PCS TCM2000. Looks like it has all sorts of flexability 2nd gear start, tow hall, OD off, TC lockup in any gear (valve body permitting). Low range temperature offsets. And they have toyota wiring harnesses option with some splicing still required. But great drawing of connections to compare. The user has to program it still as they don't have a default working software to get you going from what I can see

2FPower I do have the heater installed just haven't had the time to wire it up. Thanks for the offer. I could use a spare... I'll trade the yoke compressor for it.

The compushift is has a lot of those features but just not used. Dont know if its on Dustin's end or the peeps from compushift. I might work with Dustin to get OD off working for putzing around town and tc lockup in 3rd if possible.

my research tonight is that compushift does have some of those abilities but is all driven from the controller. the TCM2000 takes inputs so i can use the original Toyota switches. another feature that i like (my 2004 chevy has similer control) TC lockup in any gear. you can control sequence/time of unlock shift and re-lock as it goes through the gears. input ratio for throttle input to down shift vs slow to lock converter and power through the gear. chevy calls it torque management in there HD trucks. also a variable table of inputs for up shift/downshifts so it isn't a percentage of input makes it variable/controllable.

now i just need to find some cash. found a set of 37" tires that i think would look great. cost less than a controller. sold my motorcycle which I seem to think I deserve some toys but the addition to the family due in 4 weeks says otherwise. I need to wait for year end to see if I can swing it.

That does seem like a pretty good controller.

37's dang. I want to put 35's on mine. Its my DD so I don't wanna get to crazy.
I know what ya mean on the little one. We got our first a couple months back. I tried to get all the toys I could before she came because I know they are harder to come by after! Wouldn't trade her for anything though!

I will pull out the grid heater for you. Deal. Also, wanted to pick your A/C brain. I have the engine out of the 40th (now known as "boost") and had to pull the condenser out. Thinking now is a good time to move it up next to the battery. YOu have thoughts on how to do this? Can you braze in lines to these aluminum lines or do you have to crimp? If crimp, where can I find fittings?

I have the crimper. But want a favor. On ur old foo compressor are two fittings that might benefit me. And I think my flare tool will work for hard lines on ac

The compushift is has a lot of those features but just not used. Dont know if its on Dustin's end or the peeps from compushift. I might work with Dustin to get OD off working for putzing around town and tc lockup in 3rd if possible.

You have way more options, more than you'll want. Call compushift. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom