81 BJ42 - I have to bring it home and pass inspection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And it's like Christine: the more miles you put on the nicer it becomes. At this rate in another 10,000 miles she'll be brand new.

15,000km so far this year. Went to Moab, Port McNeill at the top-ish of Vancouver Island, up to Edmonton to Ratpuke's place for a memorable gathering, did the whipsaw trail near Princeton, Ruby lake near Jasper and did the Tarsands Royal Boreal run up in Fort MacMurray. Also did Fischer East, a local trail, and a few other little trips.

Just pulled the rear diff tonight for pinion bearings. Headed over to Peter's (behemoth60) place tomorrow to set the gears up so I can wheel with the locals Sunday out in Waiporous and get a Christmas tree.

Next time on the island, you need a place to stay, mecassa...

My family is use to cruiser heads from all over spending a night or two at our house...:beer:

Rob

Next time on the island, you need a place to stay, mecassa...

My family is use to cruiser heads from all over spending a night or two at our house...:beer:

Rob

^^ Been there , done that.

Just don't be the first one to pass out after the beer drinking. :flipoff2:

Great truck AwlTeq. Your metal work talent is something else man. Good to see another Cdn 42 rescued from someones salty back yard.

Cam

If you do not do this professionally, I am impressed by your wrenching skills and your DIY excellence.

I have reached page 35 reading your thread and find it very absorbing and interesting.....

I always wanted to drive a 40 series with a 3B but ended up swapping 1HZ for a 2F.

Well done...

Thanks! 1HZ is a great motor and obviously has more power than the mighty 3B:steer:

I shoulda taken more pics but these were from near the end of the day....

I broke through the ice after Peter had gone through already. He kindly gave me a tug. Then a few hundred yards down the trail he was trying to cross a stream. This area had not been visited by our club since before the spring floods so this was a mission to record any potential trail damage. 15 yards to the right was a quad bridge which we could not use due to width and weight. The truck crossing is where he was attempting to cross. He broke through on the front right, backed out and tried a line further to the left before discovering, just as the ice gave way, that he was about to drive over a minor waterfall. His engine was partially submerged and icy water in the cab. Before I could winch him out we had to cut away the roots of a fallen tree that was intruding into the drivers window (Right hand drive 70 series). Notice the Christmas tree on his roof.

So we anchored my rig to a tree and pulled him out but in so doing I lost a bead on the left rear by sliding/pulling my rig sideways into a berm.

me, " Hey Peter, looks like I popped my tire off the bead"

Peter, "Have you got a Highlift?"

me, "Yeah. In the garage."

Peter, "Yeah, I've got three in my garage."

Not a single jack of any kind between us. So we improvise by cutting some deadfall and jamming logs under the axle thinking we could air the tire back up with onboard air. After several attempts we just can't seem to get the bead close enough to take air.

me, " you got any ether?"

Peter, " Yeah! as a matter of fact I do..." I heads for his rig, rummaging around for a can of diesel starter juice.

me, "great, you got a match?"

Peter.... silence.

Neither one of us smokes. :bang:

So after a bunch more screwing around with the logs we managed to get the tire up high enough to get it to take air. We had called out on the Ham radio to another group two valleys over on a different trail and they were attempting to head in our direction but we managed to get mobile before they got near us. We turned around and backtracked a ways and headed for the other group. They were quick to point out we would be dead in the zombie apocalypse with no jack and no matches.

IMG_4097[1].jpg

IMG_4098[1].jpg

IMG_4100[1].jpg

IMG_4102[1].jpg

IMG_4097[1].jpg

IMG_4098[1].jpg

IMG_4100[1].jpg

IMG_4102[1].jpg

New guy. Pretty easy to get along with. He's got lotsa parts too.

i LOVE winter wheeling, the best wheeling there is
especially in the Alberta foothills just after a nasty storm!!

I've been combing through various 40-series builds and restorations the last few days. Found this one and was just amazed by your craftsmanship displayed even in this "not a frame-off" fashion. I especially love seeing all the action shots of the places you've taken this rig.

Now I'm going to go enjoy your 45 build thread...

That thread hasn't ended yet and there is a plot twist where I left off...

bump

I've done a bunch of stuff and even another thread I think since this thread was updated. I was going to start a new thread to cover some more work but figured I may as well extend this one. I will attempt to fill in the goings on from the above posts to the present.

Ok, so after this thread and the trip to Moab in 2013 I made some upgrades in this thread -> Upgrades for the coming season

I swapped in a different 3B with a turbo, a brand new h55f and advance adapters 4:1 gears in the split case. I also added a dual ARB compressor and a front air locker in that thread. I then took the 42 to Moab again in 2014 with great success.

I also followed through with my plan to build a trailer to carry the RTT when the situation called for it. That was done in less than a month before going to Cruise Moab 2014. It was a crazy amount of work but you may enjoy the thread if you haven't seen it ==> I have 24 days to build this trailer

IMG_4743.JPG

IMG_4747.JPG

Most recently I finally made it to Turf-nSurf last November and on the return trip we spent a few days in Death Valley

IMG_5489.JPG
IMG_5561.JPG
IMG_5566.JPG

Any pictures of the rig not turning left?

Never mind, evidently I've got that pic on my laptop.
IMG_7326.JPG

Still my favorite picture of this rig!

I have more updates but it was getting late last night. stay tuned.

Definitely enjoying your thread! Holler anytime you cross the border. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom