Weatherstripping Guide 2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, so in hopes of creating a guide that will be more effective and up to date, I made a Google Doc and have listed everything I have found by reading through the old weatherstripping guide. The document will be kept up to date as much as possible with the best (or at least the cheapest) pieces of weatherstripping. Everyone is encouraged to add alternatives that they have found and comment on their thoughts of different pieces they have tried.

Here's the link to the Google doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As3kk9d57IvSdGtiWFprSTVsN1RiZld4QWF1dGcxanc&usp=sharing

Jacob

Likewise, much appreciated. The other info was so spread out it was hard to find

Just a tip for those who aren't going all original, those of you who have a 1969-1973 with the vent window on the front door you can swap out for a pre-September 1976 door (They are the ones with the A Pillar which is still squared off NOT curved) so that you can skip on having to get the vent window rubber since later models do not have the vent window.

the cool cruisers windshield rubber that I ordered was too big, so I used the old rubber I had, it was in ok shape. Not sure what to do now.

Also, has anyone found a replacement for the expensive ($500) back doors fixed rear window rubber? And is that hard to change out?

Thanks

Well, I started to do the install today in the 95 plus heat and quickly realized that I was not yet quite the man to get it done. It is quite complex
-felt has to be in for the up and down window
-up and down window has to be in (how to get the felt in with the moving window in- I don't know)
-fixed window needs to be in place
-dividing bar needs to be in place ( all three bolts need to be in down below)
-two screws need to be in place for the dividing bar.

Fears- tear that million dollar rubber, gouge the paint that you just spent much time making sexy, break the glass (GOD FORBID!)

A number of people have suggested that a pro window guy needs to do it. I am definitely leaning that way. Can't get that going until I get the new rubber. There is a right and a left side to the fixed rubber. It seems that I have two of the same side. :( So I can't finish until I get that squared away, but SLO definitely has the goods with that rubber!

not sure if this is where this post should be- I'll put it up in my post as well.

Xtiaan2000,

One of my deepest opinions: There is a time for a pro. Some things are best left to those who do the job everyday, rather than try and fudge it up. I'm all for doing things myself, but on things I can redo, until I get it right.

Good luck with it!

I think I complained about this plenty in my POTM thread.
My plan was to start in the tailgate and knock out that PITA and then rear doors, and then finish with the easy front doors.
After I got into the rear door, I realized you need to be a f'ing octopus to install the rear door glass (need 8 arms).
I bitched to my friend who owns a car repair business and he nailed it when he said, "If you are not good at it, and you don't enjoy doing it, pay someboady to do it!". He gave me the name/number of a glass guy that does lots of street rods/hot rods/ custom cars in the area. That guy gave me the idea to do some different outer door felt strips and the glass tape for the bottom of the glass where it goes into the regulator.
Even with this guy being a pro, he said that installing those fixed windows in the rear doors sucked. I notice he also put some scratches in my new paint.
What can you do? THe glass is in, probably better than I could have done it. So there are a few scratches, oh well...

Wow, I still have a bit before i'm to this, but man this thread was depressing

I thought it would be helpful, to some, to show what I've used to weatherstrip my pig. I will preface this with the fact that the rig hasn't been driven yet to see if the seals are tight and not drafty, though from a visual inspection they look good.

On the doors, I used aftermarket fj60 weatherstrip from CruiserCorps. They had a sale a while back and I picked up the door seals for about $30.00 a door. I think Lambcrusher went this route as well. As he said, you will have to do some trimming around the door strikes. Also, the front doors are a little long, save the cutoff piece though. You will need it for the rear doors, which are a little short. I used 3m weatherstrip adhesive to glue the pieces together and to help adhere the door seal to the doors.

IMG_0005_2.JPG

Still on the doors: I had problems with some of the belt weather strip and window channel. It made everything too tight and extremely difficult to roll the windows up and down. Here is what I went with:

Outer scraper weatherstrip: B-D Company #75001371
( This is what Pablo used on his. I would recommend re-reading his thread, I wish I had. I
originally bought fairchild # 159927x3, which was referenced somewhere in the
weatherstrip thread. It was way too stiff.)

Inner weatherstrip: Fairchild #01484x2 ( This is the felt strip that the glass glides on the inside of the door)

Window channel: Fairchild 0636-8 ( Others have used the Fairchild #04528. Again, I felt that it was too tight against the glass)

04528 is on the left, 0636-8 is on the right
IMG_0002_2.JPG

Body trim seal: I went with Fairchild# 15001-25 ( Others have used Fairchild# 15004-25. This really stressed out my doors, even before the fj60 weatherstrip was installed. The pinch point near the hinges was especially bad.

#15001 is on the left. #15004 is on the right.
IMG_0004_2.JPG

I still had to do a little trimming and re-glueing of the trim seal near the hinges to reduce the binding. And yes I did try to adjust out my hinges to get more room for the weatherstrip.

I was able to buy pretty much all of the weatherstrip out of Rock Auto. They definitely have the best prices. I hope this helps. The doors still spring open a little bit on their own, but it is a lot better than before. If anyone wants to go with the other weatherstrip that didn't work for me, let me know. I have plenty that I'm not going to use. I can't return it, so make me an offer. I hope others chime in on what has and hasn't worked for them. Good Luck!

I thought it would be helpful, to some, to show what I've used to weatherstrip my pig.

THANK YOU! Was just about to tackle my door seals and didnt want to purchase the slocruiser kit yet due to the price. Just want to get my doors sealed back up so I don't freeze in the cold anymore!

Last edited:
abqcruiser,

Did you use the OEM glass or replace with cut glass? Also, would you mind taking a picture of the trimmed door strike area? I'm thinking I should trim that area with the Slocruiser's piece.

My glass guy was telling me, he couldn't get the stock thickness when cutting replacement glass, so mine is 1/4 inch thick and the Slocruiser channel was making it too tight to roll up the windows. He had to buy a thinner channel to make it work.

Good job on the research!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom