Need to find reverse wire for back up camera (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's my kick panel on drivers side
ForumRunner_20110727_182411.jpg

Why are you digging around in the kick panels? The reverse wire can easily be tapped at the ECU behind the glove box.

I tapped into the second pin from the right on the top row of the fourth plug counting down. nothing happend. I gave up and just ran the wire to the back alongside the video feed wire.

I will look at lunch, but I think it had something similar. Did you have to cut your bezel? I've had to trim a good bit at the top.

I just put in a backup camera. I used the wire in the drivers kick panel. There is 2 plugs on a clip. A square one and narrow rectangular one. They are both white. Unplug the larger square one, look at the side closest to the fire wall. It is 2nd from top and 2nd down. RED AND BLACK striped. Mine is a 99 LC. I'm just posting cuz I read of multiple spots and they were different colors. Mine was super easy and quick access.

My 2 cents, This all was a bit confusing... Just finished my back up cam installation... 8 hours later!

Here is the camera I used and looks great even at night!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Q65JHM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They just updated it this year to look better and its SUPER CHEAP! (like 8 bucks cheap).

Anyways, the first bit of running wires and what not just took time to do it correctly and not break any of the tabs on the panels when rooting around. I Tapped the reverse light wire in the back (right at the tail light) for power for the camera that way it only turns on when I'm in reverse (as stated before the downside is you can only view your camera when you put the rig in reverse, honestly though the only time you will actually ever want to look at your cam when not reversing is when you first install it all and are still enamored with it).

Anyways, when I ran all the wires I plugged in in and turned it on however to my dismay when I put in in reverse... NOTHING happened.... Grr this was frustrating!

So I did some searching and found that when I was installing my Pioneer deck (appradio 3) i never connected the rearview (violet) wire to a reverse wire... So this started another wild goose hunt... Upon reading this Thread i was convinced that i could take the "5 min Route" and tap it at the ECU, however upon seeing the SH!TTON of wires ClusterEFFING the ECU and the fact that there was NOT a red/blue striped wire at E8 pin 2 I decided to take a little look-see at the Kick panel.

This was a great choice, because there is really only two bundles of wires there... a grey rectangular bit (the wrong one...) and a WHITE SQUARE one (the right one... At this point i was quite tired and convinced that I would not finish in one day (at this point it was 11:15pm).

So I tapped the red/black striped wire that was in the second row from the top. And second wire from the left.... I attached a picture to show you what one.

From here on out all else was smooth, I hooked it all up and tested it... and the feed flipped on when I put it in reverse! (I WAS SO HYPED)...

Anyways hope this helps anyone else that tried to find the right wire lol

reversewire1.jpg

...honestly though the only time you will actually ever want to look at your cam when not reversing is when you first install it all and are still enamored with it).
I also find it useful for checking on the trailer hookup. :meh:

Well s***, better pull it out and re-do it! ;)) haha good point on the tow hitch

Ok, I've read through this mostly. Seems that most of these were aftermarket camera installs. I have an 06, with the navi and reverse camera built in. Is there a way to make a 'switch' option so to turn the camera on if not in reverse? I tow a trailer a lot and often find myself wondering if the load is staying secure. Sure would be easier to flip a switch instead of pulling over to check the trailer straps.

Any thoughts on this for the OEM reverse camera setup?

I wire taped into the reverse lead from rear brake light housing....

This is the 5 minute way.... Most ppl like to over complicate it.

Just want to confirm that the ECU location worked great on my 99LC as well. Thanks for posting the info!

I will debate the "5 minute way" though. I started the timer on my phone after finding this thread and timed the following:
Remove glove box
remove plastic panel behind glove box
Remove 4th connector down that contains red/black wire
unwrap OEM loom.
Cut wire and strip both sides
cut length of new wire
solder and heat shrink
rewrap loop with new electrical tape
zip tie new wire along antenna path (the antenna is right near the ECU, so it makes a nice pathway back to the radio).
install male disconnect on end of new wire
install female disconnect on radio pigtail

Red/blue wire that is in Pin2,bottom right, of the connector my thumb is on (note that you can't really see the blue stripe in this photo):
image-1183106121.jpg

image-2579172690.jpg

image-4039747819.jpg

I stopped to go to the bathroom and took a few photos.

Grand total:

image-620614504.jpg

image-620614504.jpg

image-1183106121.jpg

image-2579172690.jpg

image-4039747819.jpg

Last edited:
Shouldn't there a red-blue wire coming from the gear box in the console between the front seats?
I haven't checked but that would be my first pick.

Shouldn't there a red-blue wire coming from the gear box in the console between the front seats? I haven't checked but that would be my first pick.

I looked and couldn't find one. The harness connectors in the center console are tough to get your tester into so maybe there is a reverse wire there and I just couldn't find it.

That said, with the dimmer wire right there at the factory connection and grabbing the reverse wire from the ECU it makes for easy wiring runs directly behind the head unit.

Found the pre-stripped reverse light wires in the lower tailgate, behind the board.
Now to find a good location for the camera.

Just an update for those who have trouble:
01 TLC -
I was unable to find a red w/ blue wire in connector E8 AND pin 2 did not give a signal for reverse, but after much frustration, I found that the red w/ black stripe (pin 3?) worked.

I'm getting ready to install a pioneer AVH head unit and a backup camera. I understand I need to wire the camera power to a reverse light and plug the video into the head unit.

Is tapping into the ECU so that the head unit will automatically switch to the reverse camera? If I don't tap into the head unit, can I just hit the video or AUX button on the head unit when reversing to see the camera?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom