Removing carb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bout to take off the carb on my beater rig to see why it's not getting fuel and it look like I need to hire a damn rocket scientist to analyze it first. Any tips on removal and process to make this go smoother before I jump in.

take pictures to help with re install, and label everything best ya can...

X2

And the nuts on the passenger side are lovely to get at, u-joint on a socket or a custom wrench is the easiest way I have found. Good luck

Where are the bolts at to actually remove the carb lol? Not seeing them. I buy and sell a bunch of boats, 4 wheelers, dirt bikes and stuff like that. I always get them so cheap mostly because carb issues and I have gotten to the point where instead of cleaning them I just buy new one off eBay and skip the hassle. What I'm getting at is, is it worth trying to rebuild or do my normal easy way out with a new carb?

IIRC, all of the FJ 62 models in the US came with fuel injection, no carb. JOhn

Ohhhhhh now it makes sense.. Lol na this is on my 83 fj60.

I guess I should add my other 2 cruisers to my sig

Ohhhhhh now it makes sense.. Lol na this is on my 83 fj60.
Ah-HA! In that case, I think I have heard of people removing the valve cover to make better access on that side of the carb base.

take plenty of pics before you touch anything...

Masking tape, Sharpie, camera...

Label every line that comes off, take pictures throughout the process. It may also be required to replace the carb isolator plate...they aren't intended for multiple uses. I replaced mine just as a matter of course because I didn't want that to be the item that messed up the whole process.

I'm losing more and more confidence with every reply haha

It's not that bad...

another thing you may want to do since the carb is off (if you suspect any kind of exhaust or intake leak) is replace the manifold gasket as well....best time to do it if you are in there.

It is not that bad, really. Just use some model paint to paint the hoses and where they connect. Pics help a great deal.

FSM (see my sig) will help with the disassembly as well. And take lots of pics. I have heard that doing a proper rebuild on the carb can breath lots of life into the carb. so it can be worth it.

Main things are...

1. Fuel line (duh)
2. Four base nuts
3. Throttle linkage (disconnect where the rod comes across from the firewall)
4. Idle cutoff wire (unplug)
5. Every dang vacuum line

It took me upwards of three hours to get my carb off the first time. Now, knowing exactly where everything is, I could probably pull it in 15 minutes, and that including getting the air cleaner loose.

As of right now attempting to remove this carb is making me want to light this fxxxing on fire. Why would Toyota make everything so difficult

Reinstalled my carb last night. It was pretty horrible. I had desmogged so not as many hoses, but I had removed both clips at the ball stud linkage and for the life of me couldn't figure out how the clips went back. After 45 minutes of pure frustration and squinting (I'm 60 years old in May) I came up to the computer and did a search on throttle linkage and there was a close up and it was smooth sailing after that. Except for the access to the nuts. And forgetting to reinstall the heat shields til after the carb was on and........ Nothing easy about it. :crybaby:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom