couple ARB compressor questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are small compression fittings available at local hardware store? One of the compression fittings for my ARB locker keeps leaking air no matter what I do. This would be one of the two air lines that go into the solenoids. Also the pressure switch is leaking where it threads into the compressor. I have plenty of teflon tape on the threads and have redone it several times but I'm afraid to tighten to much that I crack something or jump a thread. Does this need to be tightened all the way down until it meets the compressor? The compressor keeps running and I can see it bubbling in these two places after I spray soapy water. Thank you in advance.

House Wife Hardware will probably be a waste of time and gas. Google up your local hose supplier. They are located in every industrial zone across the country. Repair and maintenance guys from hospitals to earth movers and manufacturing are in and out of these shops all day long.

House Wife Hardware will probably be a waste of time and gas. Google up your local hose supplier. They are located in every industrial zone across the country. Repair and maintenance guys from hospitals to earth movers and manufacturing are in and out of these shops all day long.
When you say a local hose supplier do you mean like a Grainger, I'm not sure who else?

Thank you. Would you happen to know if I should screw in the pressure switch until it make contact with the compressor?

Ok, I've taken everything apart, AGAIN! I retaped everything with teflon tape, only hand tightened the pressure switch where it goes into the compressor and sprayed everything with soapy water. I don't see any air bubbles now but when I hit the compressor switch it runs for the usual 3 seconds and shuts off like it should but in about 10-15 seconds it runs continuously. WTF I checked every bolt on this thing. The only thing I can think of is the bolt that I had loosened so I could rotate the housing, that seal in there is screwed up?? I know if it's not tight it leaks air.This is driving me crazy. What do you guys think?

Most of those fittings are pipe threads which use the teflon tape to basically jam the thread gaps as you tighten. For fittings like the pressure switch you will be using an open ended wrench to tighten it down, it needs more than hand tight, but not mad tight. They will take a fair bit of load, just don't get silly about it.

if you need to replace something, call ARB directly - alternatively, call Kurt at cruiseroutfitters.com

my experience is that you will not find replacement fittings at the local hardware store. period.

and, ARB has great customer service, BTW - they sent me bolts for my locker for free - overnight

if you need to replace something, call ARB directly - alternatively, call Kurt at cruiseroutfitters.com

my experience is that you will not find replacement fittings at the local hardware store. period.

and, ARB has great customer service, BTW - they sent me bolts for my locker for free - overnight
Thanks, I'm calling them tomorrow. :cheers:

the pressure switch can go bad - it only happened once in the combined 21 years that my husband and I have had ARB lockers on any vehicle, but I carry a spare since - just sayin'

pressure switch is around $45 if I recall correctly

Thanks Claudia, I'll keep that in mind and I'll ask ARB tomorrow.

Those fittings are British standard or something like that. What I did was Greese up a tap that's close can't remember what size and redo them to something I can find here in the states. No problem then I ran a air line from the compressor to the solenoid which I hide under the dash

The threads are probably 1/8-28BSP , SAE fittings are 1/8-27NPT or NPTF . The SAE fittings will fit but the overall taper is different , hence the leaks . You can get adapters that go from one thread to the other at most parts stores , I have a whole drawer full of them .....
Sarge

Thanks Ken! The thing is I bought this compressor along with the lockers just over a year ago but just installed it now so I have to see what kind of warranty I have with this thing.

ARB USA is not open today, 23 NOV 12.

Post up a picture of your compressor please.

Poser, it's hard to get a good picture of it because of where it's mounted. It's a CKMA 12/24. I took the solenoid and air line off for the locker 2 switch (front locker) and plugged it with the original plug just to eliminate that because I need a push in air line fitting, it just kept leaking air where the hose came out there.
ARB 1.jpg
ARB3.jpg
ARB4.jpg

Get rid of the teflon tape. Go to your favorite big box store or ace. Get a small tube of teflon pipe dope made by rector seal. It will keep the fittings from gauling and will do a better job of filling up the pipe threads. When snugging up the fittings try not to install them too deep. Use a wrench but don't over do it. Tighten the threads a little at first and snugg them a little more if they leak. Sometimes you can get away with installing the fighting about half of the threads deep. If you look close at the fittings they have a slight taper from the end up to the body. Too deep and they will split the female threads. A little at a time. Good luck

Thank you Crashn. I am going to get some of that stuff. Even as it is now, I don't see any bubbles where you see the tape when I spray soapy water. I've sprayed all the fittings in the picture and also the fittings at the differential housings.

2x - the threads are BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread) and while rare, not impossible to find. I got mine through a local race shop that works on high-end rally cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom