FJ40 Skid Plates - what need to be protected (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking into either building a set or buying one. I've searched the forum and the web. Looks like people mainly protect Transfer Case as it sits kind of in the middle.
What else would need to be protected? Transmission... Engine...
Did anyone did such skid plates?
I have some piece of the metal which was dropped into the trunk when I bought the Cruiser. I assume it's a stock TC plate, but I can see it was cut, probably for clearance due to the lift. But it still a small.
Was looking for a good constructive input from fellow MUD members.
Plan is to use 1/8 steel reinforced with 3/16 angles and 3/16 plates in critical areas of contact to bring the overall weight down.

I got an Iron Pig Offroad skidplate it covers both the transmission and transfer case and tucks up nicely, comparitivly speaking.

Do you have a picture of it installed? I saw only pictures of it stand alone.

I dont' have any good pics of the plate installed.
Its currently off the truck right now because I am dealing with a leaking speedo housing on my transfercase. I could jack it up in place temporarily and get a pic of it this weekend.

If you have a stock one it should look similar to this one.
6108181260_6d21473230_b.jpg

platypusREX said:
If you have a stock one it should look similar to this one.

Something similar, just cut...

Food for thought.
Skid Plate 15R.jpg
Skid Plate 13R.jpg

bsevans said:
Food for thought.

I like it. What thickness is it, 3/16" or 1/4". Who makes that one?
O checked my "original" and it seems to be around 3mm thick which would make it just a little less then 1/8. This is not bad consider my OEM skid plates on the 4Runner which was 1.2mm (less then 1/16). Another good point that back in 70s cars were built much stronger.

Here is a photo of my IPOR skid plate installed. It was perfect for me because they make it to fit under an Orion transfer case, which hangs a tiny bit lower than a stock case.

IMG_0647.jpg

I like it. What thickness is it, 3/16" or 1/4". Who makes that one?
O checked my "original" and it seems to be around 3mm thick which would make it just a little less then 1/8. This is not bad consider my OEM skid plates on the 4Runner which was 1.2mm (less then 1/16). Another good point that back in 70s cars were built much stronger.

It is fabricated from 3/8" A30 steel. I designed it along with engineering support at TA Caid which fabricated it. I only posted the photos to give you some ideas about what is possible. There is a link to it in my sig (HD Skid Plate).

My opinion:

Tubing-based protection hangs down too far. bsevans' is great, but too heavy for my taste. I kinda like the IPOR one. My plan has always been to start with a stocker and add a 'frame' of additional steel to beef it up. With a cast trans and Orion, you don't really need protection, just something to slide across rocks.

I'd agree that tube will eat too much of a clearance, but may come lighter.
I think I'd stay with simple design as was shown by "bsevans" and made it out of 3/16 steel to save some weight, 3/16 is pretty heavy too and should be enough for the light vehicle like 40-series.
Good note on the coverage for the drum parking brake. I'd be willing to cover it up.
As of cast iron parts, yes, they are strong, but still beter be protected.
BTW, did anyone made Engine Guard or something like that? Rocks, logs or branches can still damage the vital elements, plus it would not splash in the engine bay when crossing mud sections.

I would not do a tube one, it offers protection abut it is called a skid plate for a reason, you want to be able to slide over what your on and not get hung up. the tube one looks like it would catch on stuff, where the others would protect and skid over it.

Tube and plate, designed and built by Poser, LCR4WD
SP002.jpg
SP01.jpg

cjgoode said:
I would not do a tube one, it offers protection abut it is called a skid plate for a reason, you want to be able to slide over what your on and not get hung up. the tube one looks like it would catch on stuff, where the others would protect and skid over it.

No, I was referring to tube subframe with relatively steel plate. You can still slide on it. Tubes gives rigidity while thin steel saves weight. But at a cost of ground clearance as tube needs to clear the components.

...BTW, did anyone made Engine Guard or something like that? Rocks, logs or branches can still damage the vital elements, plus it would not splash in the engine bay when crossing mud sections.

What direction are you thinking of? From the factory there was a splash shield that went horizontally along the frame between the radiator and the engine, plus there are some side shields that slow down water intrusion into the engine bay.

Metaltech and others have developed a rollover hoop to protect the radiator from being crushed in the event of a rollover. And then there are many other bull bars/brush guard designs to protect from frontal impacts on the engine. From underneath there's not much except the skid plate that's integrated into the oil pan, and the axle and driveshafts do ok with keeping stuff away from the motor.

Just trying to figure out what kind of nastiness you're envisioning having to protect against...by the time something has to pass under your axles/steering rods and under your drivetrain/skid plate it will very rarely be able to reach your engine from underneath...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom