what to do 1966 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just bought an fj40 1966 52000 mile good shape do I restore it or leave it original
04[1].jpg
PA151335.jpg
PA151336.jpg

I have just bought an fj40 1966 52000 mile good shape do I restore it or leave it original

i would say it depends on your location...if your in an area with snow and salt...it will eat it alive...in a good weather area leave it and drive it :)

Looks like you bought from Steve? If so you now you got a great truck...and from a great guy...

congrats

welcome to MUD :)

Yes; your bezel is upside down.

Change the oil and adjust the brakes.

Do it again in 3k and then decide.

Enjoy the new toy, it's a beauty. :cheers:

I agree with the above posts, You will need a couple parts which are not that expensive to get it complete. Right mirror and arm, front licence plate bracket, rear step, black wheels, and early hub caps, winch cable, and some buffing. Looks like a keeper. John

Welcome! That is a nice looking cruiser! I agree with the others, Give her a tune up, oil change, trans. and transfer case oil change, may as well change oil in the front and rear diffs and grease all the fittings, fill her up with gas and take those kids for a ride in the country!

leave as is - for the age, that rig looks fantastic to me :cheers:

the older 40s have thicker sheet metal anyway

I would say leave it until it needs it

I would say protect it and enjoy it. I would get under the body and get some protection on that sheet metal so it stays looking as good as it does now and drive it. That is in incredible shape, love it with the 60's lights, PTO etc. This is perfect the way it sits now.

THanks to all for your input. On the original did they have black or gray wheels ? Can you still get the old hub caps.

Wow...awesome find!! Was this one for sale in AZ about a year ago?? I remember really thinking about it that blue '66, but could not make it happen at the time.

It is your rig to enjoy as you want to, but my 2cents...I would make it safe, clean it up, preserve it as is, and enjoy it for years to come...please, do not lift it, nor V8 swap, nor huge tires, or anything like that. If you want to do such mods, I find a second cruiser to mod, and preserve this one just as is...love what looks like the original sized thin 700R15 tires :beer:

Here are a couple pics of a then new '66...
66 blue.jpg
66 blue a.jpg

Oil/grease the seams underneath, don't drive it in salty conditions, and enjoy it. I would not restore/repaint that truck - it's got a great patina of age. You could certainly do things like powdercoat the bezel (and flip it), along with the bumperettes, etc.

That is one of the nicest original cruisers of that age I have seen, I wouldn't do anything except what I have already heard. Take good care of it and it will take good care of you......lucky!

Wow...awesome find!! Was this one for sale in AZ about a year ago?? I remember really thinking about it that blue '66, but could not make it happen at the time.

It is your rig to enjoy as you want to, but my 2cents...I would make it safe, clean it up, preserve it as is, and enjoy it for years to come...please, do not lift it, nor V8 swap, nor huge tires, or anything like that. If you want to do such mods, I find a second cruiser to mod, and preserve this one just as is...love what looks like the original sized thin 700R15 tires :beer:

Here are a couple pics of a then new '66...

Did a '66 really have the rectangular mirrors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom