Oil pan arch seal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I unbolted both side engine mounts and jacked the engine up a couple of inches with a floor jack and 4X4 on the crank pulley. I had the fan, shroud, and radiator out while replacing a rotten radiator. I got in and did all this work while replacing the head gasket, I now have zero oil leaks! You won't have any troubles jacking the engine this way.

George
DSC02680.jpg

Last edited:
great .. thanks George!

great .. thanks George!
Make sure you do a a few dry runs without the FIPG on the large pan so you can get familiar with the way it needs to be seated on the block. If you mess it up with the FIPG I imagine it would be a PITA to clean up and start over. Be sure to clean ALL the oil off of both mating surfaces as well or you will be doing it all for nothing. Good luck.

George

If i run into problems .. I know who to PM! thanks again!

:D

I replaced my rear main seal (before reading this thread) and still have a leak. I was concerned about oil contaminating the clutch and replaced it. Now that it appears let leak was actually the arch, do I need to worry about the clutch? Besides the mess and risk of running low on oil what else might the leak lead to?

Someone asked about dropping the transmission at home. I got a cheap transmission attachment for my floor jack and it worked okay. For me the hardest part was getting the transmission to slide that last 3/8". Very tempting to pull it in with the bolts so roll out and take a break when it comes to that. Rent a good transmission jack and even this part is not hard.

Thanks,
Dan

More oil lost at idle

Does it make sense that more oil comes out while idling than at highway speeds? I drove 500+ miles on freeways with little loss but around town it almost went off the end of the stick in just a couple hours.

Thanks,
Dan

arch seal

I think these are some points to add!

Remove the two bolts that attach to the a/c compressor main bracket.

Remove dip stick holder.

Riad,

PM me if you have any issues/problems with this project. Plan on a long day! You'll need an inch-lb torque wrench for the smaller 8mm bolts. My old FIPG didn't want to release so I used a ratcheting strap to put constant tension on the oil pan while I worked it loose.

Good luck.

Ali
Did you remove the tie rod bar or only the sway bar? Did you removeal the drive shaft? Mines hitting the sway bar area when I'm tilting it towards the rear.:confused:

I think these are some points to add!

Remove the two bolts that attach to the a/c compressor main bracket.

Remove dip stick holder.

Did you remove the tie rod bar or only the sway bar? Did you removeal the drive shaft? Mines hitting the sway bar area when I'm tilting it towards the rear.:confused:

Good info, I'll update the list.

I'm trying to recall if I removed the items you're asking about. I'm visualizing removing anything that gets in the way and makes the job easier. I say, go ahead and remove them. I lifted the engine so I had enough room to wiggle that SOB out of there.

Caution: if you want to save your tie rod end boots, don't use the pickle fork. Use a smaller a tie rod end puller that is a smaller version of a pitman arm puller.

Does anybody know if there are gaskets available for the oil pans ?In general I don't like using FIPG. I looked up at the Fel-Pro web site, but they don't have anything availableThanks !

oil pan removal

Good info, I'll update the list.

I'm trying to recall if I removed the items you're asking about. I'm visualizing removing anything that gets in the way and makes the job easier. I say, go ahead and remove them. I lifted the engine so I had enough room to wiggle that SOB out of there.

Caution: if you want to save your tie rod end boots, don't use the pickle fork. Use a smaller a tie rod end puller that is a smaller version of a pitman arm puller.

The sway bar has several different attachment areas vs the tie rod ends, only two. I would use that press tool for those to be removed. Do you think it's enough? It seems to be hitting the oil pick tube or it would drop low enough to slide out under the swat bar! Am I on the right track?:confused: I'm working with a stock setup also!

Last edited:
The sway bar has several different attachment areas vs the tie rod ends, only two. I would use that press tool for those to be removed. Do you think it's enough? It seems to be hitting the oil pick tube or it would drop low enough to slide out under the swat bar! Am I on the right track?:confused: I'm working with a stock setup also!

Removal of the sway bar involves 12mm and 14mm wrench/sockets and should take you about 10 min. No need for a tie rod removal tool.

Let's just make sure that you're doing the steps outlined in the first post. Are you able to lift the engine up at all? If you aren't, the larger oil pan may not be removable! It's been so long, I just can't recall all the finer points of this project :crybaby:

I recall removing the sway bar and one of the sway bar brackets (drivers side) to get the pan out. IIRC, tie rod cross bar and drive shaft can stay, at least how I had it configured... 3 ton jacks set on their highest setting supporting the frame behing the wheels, front axle sitting on 3 ton jacks on their lowest setting, and engine jacked up an inch or so off the mounts.

Last edited:
oil pan

I removed the the sway bar and then two engine mount bolts from underneath. Then jacked up the engine with 2x4 vertical on flywheel about 1-2". Came out!

I'm going with a :banana::banana::banana: job so far. Clean up time! Ordered some o-rings from CruiserDan.

I removed the the sway bar and then two engine mount bolts from underneath. Then jacked up the engine with 2x4 vertical on flywheel about 1-2". Came out!

I'm going with a :banana::banana::banana: job so far. Clean up time! Ordered some o-rings from CruiserDan.

Congrats dude, that's a job well done. Since it has been so long I wrote my list, let me know what else needs to be done that I might have missed!

Thanks.

just did the pan over the last few days while I had the front axle out for cleaning/ service the knuckles. taking the axle out made the job so much easier. here are a few more pictures for reference: the pesky support bar and the air conditioner bracket that bolts into the oil pan. I ended up removing the radiator fan just for safety and also unbolted the exhaust hanger bracket just after the cats. I unbolted the engine mounts from below (2 bolts) and used my engine hoist to lift the engine (left the hood on).
rP5153363.jpg
rP5153364.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom