Builds 2UZFE swap into FJ80 - building - in progress (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So the tranny just fit right in, correct?

The A750 was a direct fit in place of the A440, I only had to shorten the transfer linkage, and move the trans linkage to the drivers side.

It totally seems as if the 80s were meant to have the V8. I found a few on eBay, I'm going to start saving up and hopefully I'll be able to get one in my 92.

Great! Another addiction item, a Toyota V-8 in my 80.

I'm liking the idea alot. Not to mention the cool factor. It's a no brainer. You'll get another 100-150 miles out of each tank of gas, more HP, more torque & get better all around performance. It'll pay for itself in something like 400-500 fill-ups too.

If you ever get the kit thing going as some people are pushing for... I'd be in.

Lets get a list of the mix and match parts people can use to complete a swap.

If one were to use a 05' tundra 2UZ and Trans will that bolt up to the remaining t-case and drivelines etc.
Does the swap need to move back towards the rear of the rig ?

I picked up a 93' today with a blown motor so its a possible candidate for this swap.

I've been reading till my eyes bleed. Im still not certain why the 1uz wouldnt work. Yes less HP and TQ but less hassle I would think. The TB is cable actuated so you wont need to mess with the DBW pedal and wiring.

Rob, I have to say you really get around on the internetz. SF,CL,PBB etc...
Congrats on another awsome project.
My swap is ready for my GS3, but then I had to go and pick up this FJ today :rolleyes:

From the standpoint of a kit that could be sold, there's real promise here. Just in my area (Wichita) there are 9 2UZFE Tundra engines (pre-2005) engines for sale, all for less than $2k. Even the non-DBW 2UZFE would be a huge upgrade for an FJ80 or FZJ80. If the parts were available to make this plug and play I think there would be some takers. I know I would give it some serious thought. I have always planned on eventually swapping a diesel into my FJ80, but I think the 2UZFE is now my new plan.

I re-read the thread, it appears that a non VVTi and DBW 2UZFE would be a much simpler swap, correct? Based on your experience with this swap, what do you think swapping the simpler engine would involve? Obviously the mounting issues would be the same, but I'm guessing the wiring would be much easier and you'd be able to tie your current transmission into the throttle cable for kickdown.

Last edited:
From the standpoint of a kit that could be sold, there's real promise here. Just in my area (Wichita) there are 9 2UZFE Tundra engines (pre-2005) engines for sale, all for less than $2k. Even the non-DBW 2UZFE would be a huge upgrade for an FJ80 or FZJ80. If the parts were available to make this plug and play I think there would be some takers. I know I would give it some serious thought. I have always planned on eventually swapping a diesel into my FJ80, but I think the 2UZFE is now my new plan.

Im not looking for a kit, but rather the info about what toyota parts fit with what other toyota parts to make the swap PNP w/o adapters and as little fab as possible. Wiring isnt the question, just the parts.
What yota with a 2UZ didnt have DBW ?

I believe it was stated earlier in this thread that 2005+ models had DBW.

yeah if it has anything to do with lexus or toyota and off-road or performance...I am on it.

Kit? Not likely from me. If it was my full time job then yeah, probably, but generally I do this for the challenge.

For a list, well a quick list would be...

2UZ motor(pref non-vvti and non-DBW for simplicity)

A343 trans. I do not recommend using the A440/A442 series and would require an adatper. The A434 should bolt right up with the correct bellhousing/torque converter combo.

stock t-case will do

Motor will always need to be moved forward. The engine bay was set up for an I6 so the tunnel concaves back in the middle. The V8 can't sit back that far so it has to come forward 4" or so.

Stock radiator will work, and misc hoses for radiator and heater.

Custom engine mouts
custom crossmember
custom exhaust
custom a/c lines
custom power steering lines

And of course A LOT OF WORK!!!

Some Pre-vvti came with DBW, but I am not sure what criteria was required for that.

yeah if it has anything to do with lexus or toyota and off-road or performance...I am on it.

Kit? Not likely from me. If it was my full time job then yeah, probably, but generally I do this for the challenge.

For a list, well a quick list would be...

2UZ motor(pref non-vvti and non-DBW for simplicity)

A343 trans. I do not recommend using the A440/A442 series and would require an adatper. The A434 should bolt right up with the correct bellhousing/torque converter combo.

stock t-case will do

Motor will always need to be moved forward. The engine bay was set up for an I6 so the tunnel concaves back in the middle. The V8 can't sit back that far so it has to come forward 4" or so.

Stock radiator will work, and misc hoses for radiator and heater.

Custom engine mouts
custom crossmember
custom exhaust
custom a/c lines
custom power steering lines

And of course A LOT OF WORK!!!

Some Pre-vvti came with DBW, but I am not sure what criteria was required for that.

Great info. Now lets create a list of what years, make and model each of those components come from if anyone knows.
If you want i'll come up with a spread sheet that can be posted.

<--- subscribed

I just turned 246k on my LX. All of my own miles. I am about to get it supercharged along with a new headgasket. I know very well that the chances are good that I could blow the motor with that kind of mileage with the blower and the 2UZ sounds like something I am going to seriously consider. A kit would make me and others very very happy.

Reactions: KTP
This is the wrong place but im going to post it anyway because im excited.
I picked up a 93 yesterday :D
It has a blown motor, factory elockers F&R, 4.88's, arb bull bar, Supposedly a 4" lift but looks more like 2".
33" MTR's, Slee sliders, Snorkel and Dirty discusting grey leather interior.

Coming home
DSC07975.JPG

This is what I found today....the need for a V8 ! :mad::D

DSC08006.JPG

DSC07978.JPG

I'm a candidate also. I have a 95 with a bad engine, and I just HATE the idea of putting another anemic 4.5L back into it.......SuperRunner, certainly you have enough of an entrepreneurial spirit to provide others with a money-making kit for their use, don't you? You've already done the swap, so you're the most knowledgeable candidate. Seeing the interest here, I would do it myself, but I don't have the knowledge to do it.........any interest? (Maybe it COULD become your full-time job!)

I have the spirit, but I don't have the time. I hold a regular 9-5 5 day a week job and this is just a hobby. I also have a family that greatly misses me from doing conversions like this. Yeah I could probably make money, but I hardly think it would compare to my day job, even if I did it full time.

I can however offer free advise and troubleshooting. I have also spent many hours on the phone helping out fellow swappers.

I was reading about a 2UZ swap a guy did with a FJ45 on a FZJ80 frame. Slee helped with the conversion and did an awsome job on mounts. They used a laser cutter and made some really cool looking mounts. I wonder if Slee would offer up a mount package. Mine were made from pieces I just cut out using an angle grinder.

Slee 2UZ mounts

attachment.php

Last edited:
thats gary's rig he goes by waggoner on the boards. i saw the end result in person and wheeled with him in Katmecy, TX.

It is a good fit. i believe the V8 tranny combo is an inch off the crossmember off the stock inline 6 tranny combo.very close in comparison to size to i6.

Got the cruise control working. I had to build a small circuit with resistors, but it works flawless. Probably much better than the LC cruise control, since this one is directly controlled by the V8 ECU with the drive-by-wire

here is my resistor pack

cruise1.jpg

cruise2.jpg

I have the spirit, but I don't have the time. I hold a regular 9-5 5 day a week job and this is just a hobby. I also have a family that greatly misses me from doing conversions like this. Yeah I could probably make money, but I hardly think it would compare to my day job, even if I did it full time.

I can however offer free advise and troubleshooting. I have also spent many hours on the phone helping out fellow swappers.

I was reading about a 2UZ swap a guy did with a FJ45 on a FZJ80 frame. Slee helped with the conversion and did an awsome job on mounts. They used a laser cutter and made some really cool looking mounts. I wonder if Slee would offer up a mount package. Mine were made from pieces I just cut out using an angle grinder.

Slee 2UZ mounts

attachment.php
Christo and I designed these mounts for my 45 with the intention of being able to use them in 80's as well. He is doing a V8 swap on one of his 80s, but is doing another set of custom mounts to put the engine in the correct position in the 80 bay. The mounts are not for sale as of yet and its my understanding that he is not going to build a kit. There are way to many variables, especially in the wiring.

Got the cruiser up and running again, but this time with a nice 5 speed auto.

Was really nice how everything bolted up. Of course it bolts right up to the motor with no adapter, but what amazed me is that my custom crossmember worked on this transmission as well. The tailhousing on the transmission is in the same spot on the old trans, and the rubber mount even bolted up. With the old transmission With the old A440F, I had to move the transfer shifter forward 4 inches so I had to cut a hole in the tunnel. With the A750, the transfer shifter sits back further and is now in STOCK position even though everthing is still moved forward 4 inches. I did have to modify the shifter lenths, and move the trans shifter to the drivers side of the tunnel though.

the stock A440F transfer case bolted right up to the A750 transmission and since the crossmeber was in the same spot I didn't even have to modify my drivelines again.

Driving exerience:

I don't think the ECU liked the fact that it wasn't getting signals from the solenoids because now it is happy as a clam. The most throttle I got previously was 85%, and now I get 99%. Combine that with the lower 1st gear of the A750 and the 5 forward gears this thing HAULS BUT!!! Getting on the highway going uphill I was doing 80mph by the time I needed to merge.

It did cost me a bit more to go with this, but it is much better this way and much more enjoyable to drive.

0-60 is around 8.5 seconds, although it might be quicker because I am noticing the ECU is holding back the throttle just a little bit on launch making the 0-20 rather slow, and this is at 4500ft elevation. I am sure at sea level this would drop down into the 7's.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but if I am reading this correctly, a split case will bolt up behind the A750 correct? I know that the split case came in the A440f in the FJ62 but wasnt sure about the FJ80.

Can anybody confirm?

Thanks

e.t.a. What about the A343F 4 speed from the earlier 100 series.

Last edited:
Yeah, not really sure on that. I would assume since my FJ80 was an A440F.

A343F would also be the same output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom