Squeaky U-joint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd try a shop grease gun on it before yanking it. Find someone willing to work with you, though obviously charging for it. Put the T/C in neutral just like in the video, have them grease the front shaft joints and you spin it by hand to see if the grease got to the spot. Are there any rubber seal lips you can see at either end of the shaft? If so, fire a bit of thin oil (don't use PB Blaster or penetrating oil that's got possibly harsh chemicals for the rubber) on the seal and see if that was the squeak.

DougM

My noise mysteriously went away, a while after I lubed the ujoints and propeller. I replaced the ujoints anyway just to be on the safe side, as I was getting ready to install my lift. was it the ujoints? I don't know.
fsm says causes of noise are:
1 sleeve yoke spline worn
2 spider stuck or worn

I faced a similar noise on my 60 and lubing my drive shaft was the cure. GL finding yours!:cheers:
Butt

Even though it sounds like it may be in your driveline, look at this too: I had a similar problem and finally traced it down to the emergency brake assembly located inside the hat of the rear disc brakes. One of the springs had broke and was riding around inside the hat creating noise like you are describing. The problem is that noise travels through the metal and is hard to pinpoint.

Just a thought - at least a chance to eliminate the possibility. Good luck.

Murf,

Clearly you didn't look at his video in post 18....heh.

No I didnt, but did now...oops

Greased front and rear u-joints on front driveshaft with no improvement. Sprayed some lube up in there as well. Greased these four weeks ago but thought it couldn't hurt to hit them again based on your recommendations. It would appear to my untrained eye that perhaps not each "arm" of the u-joint is getting grease when I shoot it. I'll probably just run it by a shop this week sometime and explain to them what I've done thus far.

Last edited:
harrydunn: try to get photos of whatever they find and post them

Do that sooner rather than later. Noise is just a euphemism for extreme wear taking place. Honestly though it sounds like the rubber seals making the noise to me, rather than metal on metal. Either way, I'm confident getting grease through all the seals with a high flow gun will fix it.

Dropped it off with my mechanic this morning on my way into the office. As soon as he heard it, he said "u-joint." I would fix it myself but I don't have much free time before Turkey Day. Sometimes, I don't mind paying somebody to fix things. ;)

T-case u-joint was shot and the diff u-joint was not far behind so I had both replaced. No more squeaky.

Thanks for those who chimed in. ;)

harrydunn: did you save the old U-joints or get any photos, were they dry and rusty inside the caps, missing some of the little bearings??

Last edited:
I did not. Sorry about that. I suppose it would have been interesting to take a look at them. I'm just glad the squeak is gone. ;)

--Mark

Glad to hear you're no longer hearing the squeak!

Darned irritating, infernal noises!:ban:

Thanks Mike.

I know what you mean. Very annoying. I keep rolling my window down waiting to hear it still when I back out of the garage!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom