Starting my turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruisedeisel

Toyota's for life
Threads
Starting my turbo (turbo'd for under 500)

well this is my manifold, what do you think guys. heavy duty? 2x2 1/4 wall square tube with a half inch plate. i got this turbo from an old mercedez 5 cyl 3.0L. pretty close match to my engine. anybody use one before? just waiting for some plumbing parts to hook it all up. will keep updating.
turbo paint.JPG

Last edited:
more pics

air research turbo, i heard they're like a t3 but???
engine mounts p.JPG
engine mountsp1.JPG

i'll have it coated with the cheapest high temperature paint i can find. go big or go home. go cheap or get a job.

more pictures

got it freshly shaven. it warped out on me a 1/16th when i was welding it. 80 bucks straight up from a machine shop.

The manifold plate seems to have bent due to heat, maybe you should have it machined.

heres the fresh shave

and the tunnel. they're pretty skoocum. have to get sum kind of wheel on a drill or??? to clean up sum of the slag
shaved.JPG
tunnel.JPG

yes i did, the bolts holding the plate all snapped, yes i coulda got the heat out and all but that woulda taken 5 minutes

heres my new engine mounts

buil;t them for $50, beats the 300 they wanted from toyota. i warn you this might make your truck shake a little more.
engine mounts L.JPG
engine mounts R.JPG

buil;t them for $50, beats the 300 they wanted from toyota. i warn you this might make your truck shake a little more.

I can beleve they are less costly then Toyotas but do they last as long?
Guess you will be finding some cracks sooner or later, probably sooner....;)
Would inspect the edges of the welds on a weekly basis to start with......

SCABBY?? take a close look at your truck

Yep i don't think the support will last, how come you don't have the mount brackets on the engine? and tight that crank case cover.

if was dealing with a gasser engine .. they will funtion .. but the vibration from any diesel will kill 'em .. but that's just my thought ..

you will end up either cracking your block or break the frame or welding with your mount setup. Also, your manifold will expend by some 30% in all directions once you reach 1000 f or so.

I guess you forgot to calculate that expansion formula when you used a 2x2 soft metal.

positive feed back

i love it, arf arf!! dog on me a little more. YES tractor fab, it is a tractor now isn't it? an 80 TLC (Tractor Land Cruiser) right? and whats up with Mr. smartie pants with his 30% expansion smasion B.S.
does this fool know what he's talking about? maybe just jealous. well the turbo will be on by the end of april at the latest and we'll just see about expansion and welds snapping. I also have a 5 speed that im gonna put in. will keep posted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom