Newbie (Neverbie?) Buying Decision -- 45's for the oversized? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Soon as my hand heals up I will get right on that. Roof and doors are still as they arrived from Arizona last winter... needing work. You are right though, it WILL be way more cramped....

I have a lv hidden in my garage that you can come up and climb in to see if it will work. The seats are out right now but it will give you an idea. If it helps, I have a 55 and 40 as well for you to climb in and get a feel for overall space.
Shoot me a note at my office email @eric @ goebelercompany . com if you want to head to Libertyville.
Goebs

RHD v LHD

I'm 6'6", and I can't comfortably drive any stock LHD 40 series. I have had many, many LHD FJ40's, and by moving the seat back and putting a 60 series steering wheel on, I am fine. However, I cannot really drive a LHD 45 pickup.

Having said all that, I am quite comfy in RHD 40 series, and my HJ47 troopy. I have 4 Runner SR5 seats with a factory steering wheel in my troopy, but my FJ40 LX has stock seats and a stock wheel- I fit just fine. Because you engage the clutch with your left foot, and your left knee is pointing toward the centre of the rig (rather than getting wedged between the door and the wheel), there is loads of room to shift. An added bonus is that your throttle foot has a nice, comfy door to rest against. (This works the opposite when the doors are off- your throttle foot has no where to rest- bugger).

I drove a RHD 1964 FJ45 hard top pickup for a few hours here in Australia, and was perfectly comfortable in it. I also have driven a 1984 HJ47 pickup, and was equally comfy. Bottom line is, Cruisers are great; no matter what your chiropractor says.

Remember that the seats in a pre-81 FJ40 don't recline, so that can make a bit of difference as well. Hope this helps. If you buy a troopy, please list it on the troopy registry!! Also, if you need help locating one, let me know, and I will see what I can do to help from here- as long as you promise to keep it bathed in fish oil to save it from the Ill. salt:)

Cheers,

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom