How to improve gas mileage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Other than the usual like having proper air pressure, tune upstuff, etc. have a you tried considered swapping your holley for an OEM carb? Have you seen the hydrogen kits on ebay? How many miles are you get now? You may already be getting best mpg possible.:)

My diesel gets 26 mph. U could pop a 3B into your 40 and start seeing a savings in 4 or 5 years.:eek:

My diesel gets 26 mph. U could pop a 3B into your 40 and start seeing a savings in 4 or 5 years.:eek:

You diesel guys piss me off:flipoff2:;)

I've never "POPPED" anything into my cruiser..................:clap:

Learn how to slip stream tractor-trailers.

This actually works, but you have to pay attention and be sure to have good brakes.

water injection

keeps head temps low, water expands well in the heat of the engine, mixed w/a little alcohol and you get over-all better octane rating, and a kit is less than $200.

Should buy you 1-2miles/gallon. That is huge over a year or two.

This setup also will help prevent dieseling and help retard dirt accumulation on valves.

Cheap generic kits on Fleabay.

Well lets see... :hmm:

You could buy one of those magnets that clips around the fuel line....:idea:

You can buy a kit that lets you burn water (converts water to HHO) Bolts right up to your existing carb...:idea:

You could but a Tornado insert for the air cleaner but I don't know if they make one for the FJ40...:idea:

You could run helium in your tires at 45 psi... :idea:

Guys, did I miss anything? Feel free to add to this, uh, list of GREAT MPG ENHANCERS!!!

:D

Good ones! Try driving everywhere backwards - that fills the tank rather than emptying it :hillbilly: You can sell the excess...

Sorry! Couldn't resist. I'm paying $5.77/gal for diesel duty-free right now; $7.10/gal for 87 octane petrol, and the gummint is talking about raising prices again :frown: Still not as bad as avgas - $18.90/gal for 100LL! Glad my commute is only 9km per day.

:cheers:

Keep your speed down.

Oh. Wait, never mind...

Holy Crap M5driver!:eek:

I had to look up where you are actually located... :D Now I understand your prices!

Yeah, I thought folks would come up with more, uh, unique ways to violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics... ;)

Thanks for all the feedback, both humorous and serious. I don't actually know what I'm getting due to tall tires and 3.70 gears, but I'll pursue some of the ideas. I just want it to be as efficient as possible for what I've got.

thanks all!

jim
james.grier@aero.bombardier.com
pilot

Install an in-cab vacuum gauge and learn to keep manifold vacuum as high as possible. That will buy you a little more mileage. Remember the "Mobil Economy Run" that Rambler usually won? They offered a fuel economy gauge from the factory that did not have numbers on the dial but a green, yellow and red zone......it was a vacuum gauge. Actually pretty helpful in changing your driving habits. Did you ever get the HEI wiring figured out?

GL

Ed

Like this one :hillbilly:

100_1876.jpg

keeps head temps low, water expands well in the heat of the engine, mixed w/a little alcohol and you get over-all better octane rating, and a kit is less than $200.

Should buy you 1-2miles/gallon. That is huge over a year or two.

This setup also will help prevent dieseling and help retard dirt accumulation on valves.

Cheap generic kits on Fleabay.

Can you 'splain this? I'm not exactly sure what this is/does...

Lower your frontal surface area.
Top off, windhsield down only driving.
Takeothers with to pay for the fuel!

If you want MPG get a small car. You could spend $2k on getting better mileage out of the 40, to see a 2mpg improvement or you could get a geo metro for $1,500 and see a 25mpg improvement (metros get around 40pmg)

How about headers? I heard that in trying to get the extra HP with the heavy foot, that it doesn't have to force as much under a lighter foot, thus better mpg's...never tried it for economy so I can't really say...anyone else hear about this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom