Rag Left In My T-Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Steamer

SILVER Star
Threads
I don’t know how it happened, but a rag ended up in my T-case. I finally got to go for a little test drive around the yard and all was good till I had trouble shifting the T-case between high & low range. Then I couldn’t shift it at all. I pulled the top plate for a look & couldn’t believe what I found. So depressing.

This as far as I got yesterday before the rain shut me down. I’ll do some more cleaning & flushing today. I don’t know yet if I can flush it in place or if I need to pull it. The music in the vid was put in to replace all my cussing and moaning. Video of some of it "HERE"

Don't know if any of the pieces may have gotten into any of the bearings inside but only safe way to know is complete disassembly and flush. I've heard of things like this happening during surgery in humans now we've seen it can occur in FJ40 surgeries as well.
Funny thing is it was a "surgical towel". I use them to cover things to keep dirt from falling on or into things. It's not a "little" rag. Can't believe I didn't see it when assembling.
I'll see how good I can flush it in place before removal but I think you're right.

Was this on your 40 with the one piece TC? I bet it was nice and quiet..... :) If the rag is 100% cotton and you got most of it out, seems the rest would soon be pulverized. Synthetic fibers would be more risky. In my area, cars and people are moved about by 350' state ferry vessels. It is not uncommon for a prop shaft to become wound up with someones 3/8" dia synthetic rope holding a crab pot bouy. Oftentimes this means a haul out and major repairs for the vessel. Edit: Just watched the video !!! Yes, the one piece case, and it looks like the pulverization is already well underway.

Last edited:
Just add a banana peel to it; it'll lubricate and quiet operation!

Funny thing is it was a "surgical towel". I use them to cover things to keep dirt from falling on or into things. It's not a "little" rag. Can't believe I didn't see it when assembling.
I'll see how good I can flush it in place before removal but I think you're right.

It's right there on the Amazon page!

About this item​

• Clean and protect in surgery settings with McKesson operating room towels; for cleaning surgical instruments, covering areas of patient's body, open differentials, transmissions, transfer cases and absorbing fluids; just don't forget one in there or you'll be sorry
  • Blue operating towels are large in size; 27 inches long and 17 inches wide; suitable for draping
  • Disposable surgical towels made of high-percentage cotton; highly absorbent for cleaning up blood, water and other fluids
  • Plain-weave fabric with stitched edges; no linting to minimize risk of contaminating surgical sites
  • Pre-washed, the towels are sterile inside their packaging to maintain hygiene

But seriously, that sucks. Looks to be mostly made of cotton though which should help make cleaning up easier. I don't know if you need to completely tear it down but that video looks like it's chewed up and in there good. I would try flushing it a few times with something thinner than gear oil after you pull all the big pieces.

The plan, if the intermittent rain will let me, is to pull the drive shafts so I can rotate the gears by hand while flushing with kerosene. I might put the drain plug in and fill it with kerosene and spin it just a little bit running in first gear. There would be no load with the drive shafts out. Drain, re-fill and spin several cycles with kerosene.

My plumbing friend suggested Rid X for septic tanks since the rag is biodegadable. :D

The plan, if the intermittent rain will let me, is to pull the drive shafts so I can rotate the gears by hand while flushing with kerosene. I might put the drain plug in and fill it with kerosene and spin it just a little bit running in first gear. There would be no load with the drive shafts out. Drain, re-fill and spin several cycles with kerosene.
Exactly what I was going to suggest except I was thinking diesel, basically the same stuff. Do a few cycles idling in first gear for a few minutes. No load spinning won't hurt anything.

That reminds when I was working at a dealership in the late 70's. The old mechanics would tell stories of someone bringing their car in for a trade in towards a new car. The salesman would make the deal, then the trade in would be prepped for resale. A few times the odometer would have been rolled back and the rear end would be full of sawdust and new gear lube to quite the whiney rear end.

That reminds when I was working at a dealership in the late 70's. The old mechanics would tell stories of someone bringing their car in for a trade in towards a new car. The salesman would make the deal, then the trade in would be prepped for resale. A few times the odometer would have been rolled back and the rear end would be full of sawdust and new gear lube to quite the whiney rear end.
I have heard similar stories. Nothing like the feeling you get screwing over your fellow human being. If it felt bad, there wouldn't be any prisons.

Kerosene is flammable, maybe try using automatic transmission fluid as it has cleaners in it.

Use diesel to flush. I've heard of a diesel and ATF mix, too. Straight ATF will be a bit too viscus to "flush". My guess is the left over fibers will just be pulverized into goo so a follow up gear oil change should be done after some driving. You'll survive.

Kerosene is flammable, maybe try using automatic transmission fluid as it has cleaners in it.
Kero is not extremely flammable nor explosive. About the same as diesel. Auto ignition point is 428F. I think he'll be ok. Auto ignition of ATF is 600F. More margin but still burns. And the task he is using it for will not generate temps near that high. ATF mix won't hurt, kero and diesel are good solvents.

Made some progress today. Kerosene was what I had on hand so that was the choice. Put it in a spray bottle and kept soaking it down and by chance, it worked out very well by thinning or dissolving the gear oil and leaving the rage debris less sticky.

With some probes bent out of flat Sil-Fos brazing rod, I was able to reach just about everywhere and drag out the hidden but now less gooey and almost fluffy rag debris out into the open where I could grab it with the extended needle nose pliers. By the time I got all I could get, the debris was getting dryer and when I got in there with an air hose blowing in all directions, it was like confetti flying out of there. I blew till I could not get any more or see any more.

Then I ran it in 1st gear and then reverse while spaying it down till I ran out of kerosene. Wrapped it up for the night. Some more flushing tomorrow. “HERE” is a vid of some of the flushing.

Good advide everyone. I think I may avoid pulling this thing out.

Sil-Fos Probes.jpg

Right on!

A) love the new video. Looks great to me!
B) at least you found this now vs when all buttoned up… Luke when you figure out in haste you put a TO bearing on backwards for a buddy and have to rip all back out…😞
C) clean up looks amazing. I would run as is. As mentioned, after a few clean/flush, maybe one more oil fill drain after x miles and I feel you’ll be good to go!

Good luck! Keep us posted how it goes .

Nik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom