Need 2 batteries, have solar panel, need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need 2 new batteries for my Trakka Troopy, 12volt with a 12HT. I have a solar panel but it's not wired to anything.
I know very little.
It's my understanding that ideally, I would have a starter battery and a deep cell house battery. But without the right charging system in the car, it won't charge either battery in the way they were designed to be used. It's got a battery switch, but I don't think it has a charging system that switches between 2 types of batteries.
I don't have a refrigerator but might get one in a year or two. I don't use much electricity when camping, the biggest danger is dead batteries from non-use or leaving the headlights on .
I have questions for a couple scenarios.
Scenario 1
What type batteries should I get if I make no changes to the charging system, don't add a refrigerator, and don't use the solar panel?
I think the safe bet is 2 matching dual purpose batteries. Would a starter battery and a deep cell or starter and dual purpose battery be a better choice?

Scenario 2
Use the solar panel, add refrigerator. What other equipment do I need to add to plug it all in?
What type of batteries should I get?
If I get different types of batteries, will the solar and extra equipment help charge different batteries and make up for the likelihood that I will make no other changes to the engine driven charging system?

Thank you
IMG_3103.jpg
IMG_3104.jpg
IMG_3105.jpg

I strongly suggest you invest in two AGM dual-purpose batteries. Well-proven technology and durability. With both an alternator and your solar panel you'll need a DC-DC charge controller. Redarc is excellent, but also look at Wagan. Then you'll be set up for redundant starting duty, winch compatibility, and power for a fridge, lights, etc.

On my LJ79 (which came from factory with one battery) I have a regular 95Ah starter battery and a 120Ah leisure battery (Lucas LX35MF) which I use only for camping equipment like fridge, lights, etc. I charge the auxiliary battery with a 100W solar panel through a simple charge controller, and with the alternator through a VSR (voltage sensitive relay). The VSR switches on whenever voltage exceeds 13.3V (when alternator is charging) and switches off when it goes below 12.8V, thus isolating the 2 batteries when engine is off.

It's a very simple system and fairly cheap. Although limited in power I always got by comfortably (but I never camp for more than 2 night in the same spot; probably not enough for more nights).

Sounds like you have options! This is always good, but can make it more difficult when making decisions.

I love free power. I would start with imagining what your long term usage case will look like. Then design for that. A charge controller with solar is a MUST. They are getting more efficient at making panels too, so get a charge controller that will allow for expansion and/or upgrades. IE: get at least a 20A charge controller. For example, the average 100W panel puts up to ~5A output.

If you have a 2 battery system under the hood, then those should always be purchased together, in a matched pair. If the solar battery is in the back, get the deepest cycle battery you can find that will fit, and use that with the solar.

I strongly suggest you invest in two AGM dual-purpose batteries. Well-proven technology and durability. With both an alternator and your solar panel you'll need a DC-DC charge controller. Redarc is excellent, but also look at Wagan. Then you'll be set up for redundant starting duty, winch compatibility, and power for a fridge, lights, etc.
I totally agree on the AGM batteries. With two group 27 batteries you have a ton of capacity for fridge and camping. I use X2Power. Odyssey are good too. I am Optima-skeptical. I am not sure what other options are out there these days.

I don't agree though on the pricey dc-dc charger being necessary. It is an option and has some advantages but there are other options too.

In my setup, I am prioritizing simplicity, complete isolation when the ignition is off, and no parasitic draw. For that I am using a simple solenoid (200amp) to link the batteries when the ignition is on.

While linked, both batteries are charged by the alternator and the solar panels. When the ignition is off, the batteries are isolated and the house battery is maintained by the solar panels.

Other systems I have seen used to link/isolate batteries:
* national Luna intelligent solenoid
* IBS smart relay
* Perfect Switch (like a solid state diode w/o the voltage drop)

All of these approaches can be combined with solar and have different advantages/disadvantages

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom