What’s coming out of this hole? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting… iirc the interweb advises cleaning up spilt coolant really carefully as animals are attracted to the sweet taste.

Also from google - There's a new regulation requiring that all coolant contain a bitter-tasting substance so animals won't want to drink it.

In any case, this seems to be the most realistic scenario. I won't have a chance to get the seat out till tomorrow, but hopefully it's just a loose clamp at the little heat exchanger. They're only ~$55 used on eBay if it does have a leak though, so not too concerning all things considered. It also doesn't seem to do it every time it runs so it could've also been a weird fluke but unsure how that could be until I see it apart.

What color is your windshield washer fluid? I believe Rain-X and Prestone have all-season washer fluids that are orangish-pinkish...if you have that then maybe small leak in the hose that runs to the rear window washer/wiper??

What color is your windshield washer fluid? I believe Rain-X and Prestone have all-season washer fluids that are orangish-pinkish...if you have that then maybe small leak in the hose that runs to the rear window washer/wiper??

I believe the tank is empty, but I will check. I did notice that hose running there, but also don't recall ever hitting the lever to run the pump.

I believe the tank is empty, but I will check. I did notice that hose running there, but also don't recall ever hitting the lever to run the pump.
Just noticed you're my neighbor. Can't buy that all-season washer fluid locally, so that might already be ruled out unless you recently bought your 100 from somewhere outside LA County.

Just noticed you're my neighbor. Can't buy that all-season washer fluid locally, so that might already be ruled out unless you recently bought your 100 from somewhere outside LA County.
nope, outside of birth, it's lived it's entire life in Orange County. It was well loved and driven until about 18 months ago when it was acquired and I think was used sparingly, hence the random assortment of fluids now that I've started using it.

So I noticed a big leaky spot today coming from this plastic plug under the drivers footwell. Couple pics for reference.

Doesn’t seem oily, but doesn’t seem like water either. Tastes very bitter. Fluids under hood all look at the same level id expect them to be.

View attachment 3340358

View attachment 3340359

Is this just rusty water? What other fluid would this be in here??

View attachment 3340421

you can see it just a small amount, and its not under the carpet or up by the firewall. it seems to have all settled into the cavity (and drained out). It's not pink enough to be coolant, nor is there any place there for coolant to come from. I am stumped.

Carpet is dry too.

I checked the passenger side, same area, dry. I also checked under the trim of both rear doors (driver/passenger), all dry.

I am stumped. Anyone?
So just yesterday this started? How long have you owned it? Does it feel like oil or more like coolant? If under seat heater was leaking, wouldnt carpet be wet? Check that wiring loom just ahead of the door sill (where it hasnt been sitting in that fluid) and see if any fluid is traveling down the wires. Also I think the tube that feeds the rear window washer runs through the firewall and down along the door sill- that line might be nicked or leaking-( if your wash fluid is that color)

So just yesterday this started? How long have you owned it? Does it feel like oil or more like coolant? If under seat heater was leaking, wouldnt carpet be wet? Check that wiring loom just ahead of the door sill (where it hasnt been sitting in that fluid) and see if any fluid is traveling down the wires. Also I think the tube that feeds the rear window washer runs through the firewall and down along the door sill- that line might be nicked or leaking-( if your wash fluid is that color)

Yes, yesterday. Have driven it a few hundred miles since I got it and no leaks of the sort until the last drive (Friday afternoon). It has no viscosity like oil, so the revelation of coolant under the seat makes the most sense so far.

The loom is dry on both sides of the driver seat, so it's possibly the fluid followed a channel directly from the exchanger to the rail area but did not work it's way through the footwell carpet.

Should know more tomorrow.

Whoever first guessed rear heater exchanger wins.

The question is, do I replace it or just cap it off?

If I wanted to cap it, is it as simple as replacing my tees with straight thru pipes?

IMG_1359.jpeg

IMG_1360.png

IMG_1355.jpeg

Yes, you could replace the Ts with a straight coupler. I’d go with the used OEM, myself.

Yes, you could replace the Ts with a straight coupler. I’d go with the used OEM, myself.
Great minds… I went with used OEM too. Then I don’t have to deal with possibly mating surface and o ring mismatch of the hard pipes to core.

my next delete item.
Because really, the 2003 ATF dipstick tube runs right next to the pipe running to that. It would look so much better without those tubes in the way.
Goes hand in hand with heater tee delete.

I thought about it. The wife thought it’d be nice to keep for the winter though I live in SoCal we don’t have much winter.

Wife wins. But if it gives me any headache I’ll nuke it and just be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom