Wits End Turbo Owners (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK

I have not been on in a while, and was unaware of his situation, my appologies

I'll wait patiently, and send love to @NLXTACY, no rushes, and family first, hope all is well

Last edited:
very much worth it for the wait. I ordered in 8/19 and got it early 2022.

I ordered in March of 2020, and got mine in September of 2022. However, it was missing a few pieces, mainly a $400 wastegate that is very much needed to run the turbo. I was told it was 4-6 weeks out on the wastegate, and its been 6 months and have not gotten a update, much less a response.:bang:

So I’m not a turbo owner, but I placed a $550 order for brake parts and other stuff on 3/3/23. I have tried every method of contact and had zero response. I will never do business with Wits End again. I don’t mind a wait if I am at least acknowledged. I had a seized caliper on my 80 and needed to get it back up ASAP.

I’m posting in this thread on the off chance Joey reads it and sends me a refund!

Going to bump this again. I see the Wits End instagram account is active and posting. Perhaps someone else is managing it? Perhaps some resources could be allocated towards dealing with unfulfilled customer orders!

I have never encountered an issue like this with any other business in person or online. I see a lot of apologists out there but please, enlighten me, why would such a “good dude” keep taking money from people if he doesn’t have the business resources to manage the orders? Why take money for parts that are not in stock and have no anticipated dates advertised? No status updates or contact? Why should customer money serve as the working capital fund for pool orders?

Can anyone provide a cogent, well-reasoned argument, why this type of business behavior should be accepted?

Im not the only one guys, I’m just the one frustrated enough to speak out. This is not right. You should not take a persons money for product and then fail to provide it, in the real world this is called theft!

Anyone monitoring IAT2 temps with the turbo kit? I'm about to add a gauge and wondering what everyone's seeing.
I am monitoring IAT after the turbo. Originally I was monitoring in the elbow before the throttle body. Now I have my methanol injector there and the IAT is in the intake plenum, far drivers side end. Will post some numbers this evening on temps I have seen at 8.5 psi boost before and after methanol.

I am monitoring IAT after the turbo. Originally I was monitoring in the elbow before the throttle body. Now I have my methanol injector there and the IAT is in the intake plenum, far drivers side end. Will post some numbers this evening on temps I have seen at 8.5 psi boost before and after methanol.

Awesome, please post some pics of your setup if you've got them. I'm also in the process of installing meth in that elbow so I've been contemplating the best spot to install the IAT sensor in plenum.

Awesome, please post some pics of your setup if you've got them. I'm also in the process of installing meth in that elbow so I've been contemplating the best spot to install the IAT sensor in plenum.
Some numbers for you.:

IAT with 8.7 PSI boost springs was upwards of 175 F going up I-80 out of Sacramento to the Sierra, in 100 degree heat last summer. At some points on the climb, in 3rd gear, the boost would settle in at 8 PSI and 70 mph with the IAT at 175F.

Around town I would see 150 to 160 F IAT under hard throttle and medium boost. Cruise control on the freeway at 70 mph would see IAT at 150.

This was with the IAT sensor in the elbow upstream of the throttle body and downstream of the turbo.

When I installed my AEM methanol kit, I moved the IAT to the plenum and put the methanol injector in the elbow upstream of the throttle body, but with a new, cast aluminum elbow that has enough wall thickness to hold a 1/8 NPT thread.

I first gathered temp readings with the methanol controller unplugged so I could see if I read different temps with the IAT sensor in the new location. I did not see a noticeable difference around town and climbing hills before/after. The ambient temps are a lot lower right now, so, no data at 100 F.

I then started playing with the methanol injection. My first run was with the pre-installed "medium" flow nozzle/restrictor. I had the kit set to start the meth injection at 5 PSI boost and be full open at 9 PSI boost. The engine could barely run when the methanol kicked in. Too much flow and it was quenching combustion. IAT went from 160 to 92 F when the methanol was injected (65 F ambient), so, there is that.

I realized that their controller is more about changing the slope of the pressure ramp on the pump. The max flow point does not need to be within the range of boost on the engine. My second attempt was to have the methanol start injecting at 5 PSI and the max point at 35 PSI. Barely saw any drop in IAT. I brought the max point down in steps to 25 PSI and then started feeling a stumble at full boost and max methanol pump pressure.

I then switched the restrictor to the "low" flow from the kit. Started over and found a nice point where the methanol starts injecting at 5 PSI boost and the max is set at 12 PSI. When the boost starts to come on, the IAT starts rising, but at a little after 5 PSI, it reverses and starts dropping. The lowest I have seen it at WOT is 110 F when before it was 160.

My learning is the knobs on that controller are about setting the start point for methanol injection and then to tune the slope with the max point knob. The low flow restrictor seems to work best for me.

The last wrinkle to tune for is methanol consumption. If I find I am using a lot of methanol and it would make long trips a pain by having to haul gallons of methanol, I will play with the set points to get temperature reduction above 7 PSI boost, but economize on methanol.

I do have a Boost T I am going to install to play with getting to 10 PSI boost with the methanol kit.

Will post some pictures next.

Mike

AEM Methanol Injection Kit Install Pictures:

IAT sensor in intake plenum. 3/8 NPT tapped hole. Yes, had to remove the plenum to install.
1681439208641.png

AEM methanol injector in cast aluminum elbow upstream of throttle body:
1681439316067.png

AEM Tank and Pump. Displaced factory windshield washer tank and attached pump to side of air filter can.
1681439572723.png

AEM controller in water tight box and new 1/2 gallon washer tank. The factory pump plugged right into the Amazon tank.
1681439778013.png

AEM controller in water tight box. Controller is not water resistant. RTV on wires at grommet in side to seal it up. As a side note, the controller has an LED out
wire so that you can put an LED in the cabin to verify that the methanol is armed and for it to flash errors at you. I repurposed
the factory security LED by installing a brighter LED and modifying the wiring harness to take two inputs, with diodes blocking
power going back to the security module or the AEM controller, depending on which was on. The use of the LED is mutually
exclusive. When the alarm is set, the rig is off, and the meth kit is off. When the rig is running, the alarm is off, and the meth
controller is armed. Did not have to drill a new hole in my dash or anything like that.
1681439948042.png

Hope the info and pictures help with your install.

Mike

IAT sensor in intake plenum. 3/8 NPT tapped hole. Yes, had to remove the plenum to install.
View attachment 3297844

View attachment 3297846

AEM Tank and Pump. Displaced factory windshield washer tank and attached pump to side of air filter can.
View attachment 3297849

AEM controller in water tight box and new 1/2 gallon washer tank. The factory pump plugged right into the Amazon tank.
View attachment 3297850

AEM controller in water tight box. Controller is not water resistant. RTV on wires at grommet in side to seal it up. As a side note, the controller has an LED out
wire so that you can put an LED in the cabin to verify that the methanol is armed and for it to flash errors at you. I repurposed
the factory security LED by installing a brighter LED and modifying the wiring harness to take two inputs, with diodes blocking
power going back to the security module or the AEM controller, depending on which was on. The use of the LED is mutually
exclusive. When the alarm is set, the rig is off, and the meth kit is off. When the rig is running, the alarm is off, and the meth
controller is armed. Did not have to drill a new hole in my dash or anything like that.
View attachment 3297857

Mike
What bracket did you come up with for the aftermarket tank? Any signs of melting from the heat? Looking to do the same and can cut a bracket on my plasma table. If enough people are interested I can make a run of a few.

What bracket did you come up with for the aftermarket tank? Any signs of melting from the heat? Looking to do the same and can cut a bracket on my plasma table. If enough people are interested I can make a run of a few.
Sorry, missed this post. I did a flat plate for the bracket. Used M8 all thread from 3X M8 Rivnuts that I installed into the sheetmetal in that corner. Custom design where I installed the Rivnuts and the all thread, picked up a hole pattern on a piece of cardboard, then transferred that to some hard board. Proto'd the bracket from the hardboard. Once that was finalized and fitted, I designed the bracket in 3D and had the sheetmetal shop at work buzz it out on our laser. I could give you the bracket design, but it really is custom fit to the Rivnut locations I installed.

I have not seen any melting or damage to the plastic tank in that location. I did put in hooks in the bracket to put a heat shield around it, but have not gotten around to doing that yet.

Mike

I'm more concerned that I have been being ignored for months.

You are correct, it has not been a year

If there are health or family issues, I wish him well and will continue to wait, but I'm simply getting no replies, anywhere I try.

-edited
Join the club. I bought mine Aug 2020. The only time I have gotten an email is when some guy pissed Joey off and he wrote a long winded email of excuses.

My spot in line is for sale, in case anyone is interested. Pm me

Join the club. I bought mine Aug 2020. The only time I have gotten an email is when some guy pissed Joey off and he wrote a long winded email of excuses.

My spot in line is for sale, in case anyone is interested. Pm me
There just no excuse for this kind of Business practice🤷‍♂️

Good luck.

Nah; Kevin makes him look like a chatterbox. And the Wagon Gear website has gone from saying No, none of this stuff is available and I don't know when it will be, to: This stuff will never be available.

View attachment 3297844

View attachment 3297846

View attachment 3297849

View attachment 3297850

View attachment 3297857

Mike
Strong work Mike, thx for the excellent documentation. May have to follow you some day.

What are the benefits have you experienced so far?

Are you using windshield washing fluid as your methanol injection, and how long does it last between refills?

Does your kit require IAT temp input?

Where did you find the best price for this kit, a link would be great!

Nah; Kevin makes him look like a chatterbox. And the Wagon Gear website has gone from saying No, none of this stuff is available and I don't know when it will be, to: This stuff will never be available.
that really bites, I was on the list to have the gulwing windows on my cruiser. I figured once he started telling everyone to "fu-k off" he was done making his windows.

Just thawing out some frozen bread on the hood vents 😁.

20230527_135307.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom