HELP!!! Need more muscle for trans install. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RodrigzCrzr

SILVER Star
Threads
Help!
I’m calling for help is there anyone in SoCal Venice Culver City Area willing to come help me stab my trans into my 40?
I’m am 1/2 inch away and she won’t budge.
Could really use some help.
I have been at it for two days now.
Gf tried but hurt herself.

Last edited:
That last little bit could be the pilot bearing or the two alignment dowels on the bell housing. Did you pre-fit the pilot bearing onto the trans input shaft before putting in the pilot bearing? Mine wouldn't go on and I had to polish up the shaft end with some emery cloth.
@Steamer has a good point. If you did not pre fit the pilot bearing to verify a good fit, this could be the issue.

Guys I appreciate everyone’s input.
All of them I have tried with failed results.
Yes my initial ask was for physical man power help.
I figured with two people we can rock and shake it to insert.
I’m going to attempt @whitey45 suggestion of depressing the clutch.
Again thanks all for suggestions!
I will let you know if there is success!
Much appreciate it.

I just did this 4 weeks ago. 4 long bolts with the heads cut off and used as guide pins really helped. Trans & T-case in gear let me rotate trans shaft via the parking brake drum got it through the clutch disc. I did have to depress the clutch to get that final stab into the pilot bearing.

I hate transmission jacks and prefer to dangle from a single strap. Just gets more “floaty” that way.

Stab.jpg

I just did this 4 weeks ago. 4 long bolts with the heads cut off and used as guide pins really helped. Trans & T-case in gear let me rotate trans shaft via the parking brake drum got it through the clutch disc. I did have to depress the clutch to get that final stab into the pilot bearing.

I hate transmission jacks and prefer to dangle from a single strap. Just gets more “floaty” that way.

View attachment 3340751
I agree with @Steamer . I usually remove the seats and spear an engine hoist through the passenger door, lift the tranny off the floor, and dangle it in position as close as I can get it.

And then I wrestle with the thing. And yell at it. kick it. Jiggle it. Curse it. Etc. And then suddenly it slides right in like it's on greased rails -- almost certainly because the splines have been jostled enough to align themselves, through pure chance.

FINALLY SUCCESS!!!
@mattressking for the win.
Nathan stopped by to drop off a part on his way from airport and gave me a helping hand and an extra set of eyes. I was off on the angle and not totally straight. So he remove the rear motor mount pucks and dropped the engine a bit on the rear side. We wiggled and jarred and dropped the jack some and finally we hear the pop of the input shaft sliding into the pilot bearing.
Such a relief big load removed from my back.
Much appreciate everyone’s input and comments.
Again thanks to @mattressking and @IslandJ for helping out.
Now back to putting this rig back together and back on the road.

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom