Builds 74 Pig Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When the engine conversion was originally done in '76 iirc, California put a tag on the door that says it needs to pass 71 Chevy smog, which is minimal. Then I brought it into Nevada, and they followed the same rule. Yes it has to pass smog, but on a Chevy the 71 smog equipment is minimal. It works for me, because I wanted to stick with a carb'd engine anyway.

I understand about the colour, My uncle always painted his yellow. The same effect as the OEM orange, but in his shop colours.

Would you mind explaining the legality factor?
I would assume a '74 pig would be smog exempt.

When the engine conversion was originally done in '76 iirc, California put a tag on the door that says it needs to pass 71 Chevy smog, which is minimal. Then I brought it into Nevada, and they followed the same rule. Yes it has to pass smog, but on a Chevy the 71 smog equipment is minimal. It works for me, because I wanted to stick with a carb'd engine anyway.

Okeedoke, makes sense when you tie Bureaucracy into the picture.

11 years later, time to get the project back on track. Sheesh you wouldn't think raising kids would be such a distraction. At least I kept it indoors. On the other hand my 80's clear coat is floating away in the breeze.
20230604_145709.jpg

Short term goal is to get where I can move it around the yard, so I'm starting with hook up the steering.
One of the things I discovered on disassembly, then forgot about, was that there are 4 different bolts holding the steering gear to the tower.
Different pitches, one's even a smaller diameter through bolt and nut.
None of the threads in the tower feel right.
I'll probably upgrade the steering later, but you never know.
Anybody have a good tower they're not using?
Or maybe I tap all 4 to next size up.
20230604_152535.jpg

While we're in there, anybody have recommendation for gasket material between the firewall and the steering column? Looks like it needs to be at least 3/16" thick,
20230604_145208.jpg

Let's see where this goes

Welcome back, one of the threads I followed when starting mine. Any changes in your plans for drive train, etc.?
Good to be back! To be honest I'm not sure yet about drivetrain. Likely SBC, maybe the one in my garage, on an H55 if I can get one. No real desire for crawl gears or anything complicated now. I want to focus on fixing body mounts, replacing metal where needed, and all that.

Nice thing about projects stored outta the elements…they will wait for you!

:popcorn:

11 years later, time to get the project back on track. Sheesh you wouldn't think raising kids would be such a distraction. At least I kept it indoors. On the other hand my 80's clear coat is floating away in the breeze.View attachment 3340458
Wow, 11 years?!?
Not many projects come back from that kind of hiatus!
Welcome back!

Do they have emissions testing for all of NV?

anybody have recommendation for gasket material between the firewall and the steering column?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom