Builds Jacks 40 to fake 45 build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Front 3rd got cleaned, painted and a new pinion seal. Knuckles are soaking in Zep purple degreaser and hot water. Working on all the front axle bits now.

20230602_145024.jpg
20230602_145051.jpg

Front axles are assembled with mini truck birfs. Knuckles cleaned and painted. Cleaned up all the threads too.
Next is to clearance the knuckle ball for the new birfs. Then assemble everything else.

20230604_132924.jpg

Well.....I go back to work tomorrow. I pretty much accomplished my goal for the build. It's dam close to being a roller. I ended up ordering new wheel hubs and some hardware I was missing.
I will finish the axles when parts arrive. Then it's on to steering and brakes.

20230605_140830.jpg
20230605_140938.jpg

Looks great Jack👍. Gotta love the rear disc brakes

Been sorting through my parts stash and all the boxes that came with this 1971 40. The previous owner gave me many boxes loaded with various parts. Luckily I am finding alot of good items. Like the wiring harness which appears to be in good shape.
20230609_184843.jpg

I used to ride my Tonka dump truck too. I would put one knee in the bed and push with the other leg. That one is not my original. I pick this one up at a swap meet cause I am a pretty nostalgic person.
I also have my original Tomica FJ40 I got as a kid on vacation when I was like 10. It know sits on my desk. It's probably explains why I like Cruisers so much today.

20230610_082030.jpg

Was assembling the driver side wheel hub, rotor and caliper only to discover the lower caliper mount bolt hole is stripped. I had chased out the threads after painting and it seemed okay......but under torque it's a no go. Guess I will have to heli coil that one.
Still waiting for wheel studs and some other items for the front end. They are supposed to be here today.
20230610_112821.jpg

20230610_113358.jpg

I'd use a keensert or better yet, timesert, instead of a helicoil. Helicoils were designed for repairing machines, not vehicles. They'll work, but IMHO, timeserts are much better, because they are solid body inserts and harder to screw up.

I will check out this timeserts. Never heard of them.

Yes, I am using a backing plate eliminator. It has a tab for the brake line too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom