Consider buying a GX... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve got a Hayden cooler I believe the 698 or 678 sitting in a box waiting for install.
Definitly need to do a trans flush. I’ve been stacking needed products to do allll the fluids soon. Diffs, trans, motor, transfer, even got me a grease gun to do the UCAs and drive shafts.
These things will last if taken care of.
One issue that seems to be popping up a lot is the coolant valley leak.

I upgraded the GX470 oem cooler with the Hayden 679 (I think it was the 679?) and I felt it did a really good job of not only handling the towing, but also allowed the trans to stay warm in the cold WI winters which is just as important imho.

I fab'd my own brackets for the 470, and likely will also for the 460. The truck has 53k miles now, and I will have a trans fluid exchange done at Toyota after I get the cooler installed. I'm really surprised the GX460 didn't come with a larger trans cooler, as it really does need it when towing imho. I plan on keeping the 460 for a while, and think it's essential to add the cooler. I'm also curious if the trans fluid is currently low, as cruising on the interstate at 70mph @ 85* ambient I am seeing close to 195* avg trans temps. Too hot imho.

How hard is the install? I'm likely going to be towing a trailer from CT to north Maine next month...

How hard is the install? I'm likely going to be towing a trailer from CT to north Maine next month...
From the videos I have watched it doesn’t look that hard. Hardest part may be fabricating brackets to hold the cooler in place, which will be the east part for me…
You doing the NMW trip with garlic? Or hauling quads up?

From the videos I have watched it doesn’t look that hard. Hardest part may be fabricating brackets to hold the cooler in place, which will be the east part for me…
You doing the NMW trip with garlic? Or hauling quads up?
Nope... the quad trip is actually the weekend before their trip, will be home by the time they hit the trails

Even if you don't go OEM..for the external AT cooler... this part I think makes for a cleaner install and less chance for any hose abrasion. The OEM hoses have a nice braided wrapping on them as well.

PN: 32907-60290

img_0720_e0aaf968880a3a2a2d07912123773d8afeb9f94d.jpg

img_0795_3206ff50ea2f5c4d981cae471714fd0e2898e5b8.jpg

Last edited:
Pickup a trans cooler and let’s put them in together, that will motivate me.
Impromptu mod day for trans cooler install sounds like a plan

Even if you don't go OEM..for the external AT cooler... this part I think makes for a cleaner install and less chance for any hose abrasion. The OEM hoses have a nice braded wrapping on them as well.

PN: 32907-60290

img_0720_e0aaf968880a3a2a2d07912123773d8afeb9f94d.jpg

img_0795_3206ff50ea2f5c4d981cae471714fd0e2898e5b8.jpg

Good call on the wrapped hose. I need to put together a full parts list on a spreadsheet and do some price shopping for the whole kit. Maybe this week...

Impromptu mod day for trans cooler install sounds like a plan

Good call on the wrapped hose. I need to put together a full parts list on a spreadsheet and do some price shopping for the whole kit. Maybe this week...
All the parts needed for the OEM cooler is listed on the club Lexus post above. I followed everything in that thread when I installed mine. Prices have went up since that thread was made though.

It talks about pinning the thermostat open but I haven’t on mine. No towing but it will get up to 190-200 and stay there.
My V8 4runner (factory cooler similar to the GX470) will get will barely break 130-150 unless slow off-road driving. Although it’s not driven distance or at interstate speeds.

If one doesn’t find heat reductions sufficient pin thermostat open as it closes around those temperatures and it will then generally just match coolant temps.

For those that question whether it is safe to do… I’ve had mine pinned open for years.

...back to the notion that there may be a transmission vulnerability. If i am reading the sentiment here correctly, it would appear that they do have a propensity to run hot and they need a cooler mod. Thanks for the dialogue. Good stuff.

Next question...curious why most of you folks are choosing a 460 over a 4runner? I suspect most of you considered a 4runner when shopping, no?

When considering which GX trim level to look for- Id stick with the Base version. We’ve got a 2016 Lux trim level with rear air suspension and have to say the air-bag ride is sub-par compared to simple coil suspension. I also think the seats in the Base version have a little more cush. Subjective for sure but Im not in love with the ride quality of our GX.

...back to the notion that there may be a transmission vulnerability. If i am reading the sentiment here correctly, it would appear that they do have a propensity to run hot and they need a cooler mod. Thanks for the dialogue. Good stuff.

Next question...curious why most of you folks are choosing a 460 over a 4runner? I suspect most of you considered a 4runner when shopping, no?
GX is a better value and in 2021 was less expensive then similar mileage Tacomas and 4Runners that were significantly lower spec

Wife just switched from a 5th gen 4runner to a gx. We’ve had 2 5th gens (2010, 2015), the latter lightly modified.

They are night and day different… and almost the same price.

The gx is a bargain compared to the 4runner.

Last edited:
Wife just switched from a 5th gen 4runner to a gx. We’ve had 2 5th gens (2010, 2015), the latter lightly modified.

They are night and day different… and almost the same price.

The gx is a bar go compared to the 4runner.
Exactly. We also have a 2016 T4R Limited and Alex always chooses the GX over their car if given the option.

When considering which GX trim level to look for- Id stick with the Base version. We’ve got a 2016 Lux trim level with rear air suspension and have to say the air-bag ride is sub-par compared to simple coil suspension. I also think the seats in the Base version have a little more cush. Subjective for sure but Im not in love with the ride quality of our GX.
Absolutely agree the ride quality can be better in a GX, but compared to what???
It is better than any other Toyota/Lexus SUV, sport SUV or truck other than the newer Landcruiser/LX.
Of course it's not going to be a comfy as any of the high end sedans, but it will for sure be better than anything else in it's prices/performance range.
My rig is VERY comfy with my load-out and suspension upgrades. It is way more comfortable than our old 100 series LC's we had, and I can't stand riding very long in my wife's Taco.

So with all due respect, for me and my family, we consider (our) GX very comfortable, or we wouldn't have been able to do 1,000+ mile days on a road trip a couple years ago going to the east coast.
Try pulling 1,000 miles in one day in most any other vehicle... and we did it multiple days!

GX is a better value and in 2021 was less expensive then similar mileage Tacomas and 4Runners that were significantly lower spec
This. When I bought my GX, a 4Runner TRD Off-Road of similar vintage with comparable mileage was thousands more expensive, usually slightly worse condition, and so on. Pros were even more for higher mile, worse condition examples. For the same money, the GX was also a "new" experience for me as I owned a 2018 4Runner TRDOR (and two 4th gens, one a V6 and one a V8). As much as I love the look, feel, and rough-and-tumble mentality of the 5th gen T4R, that powertrain is just outdated and underwhelming versus the GX's V8. Combine the smoother drivetrain with the better insulation and it's a much nicer vehicle to spend time in. Of course, if the V8 was available in the 4Runner and it had selectable 2WD/4WD, I'd have that instead...

Absolutely agree the ride quality can be better in a GX, but compared to what???
It is better than any other Toyota/Lexus SUV, sport SUV or truck other than the newer Landcruiser/LX.
Of course it's not going to be a comfy as any of the high end sedans, but it will for sure be better than anything else in it's prices/performance range.
My rig is VERY comfy with my load-out and suspension upgrades. It is way more comfortable than our old 100 series LC's we had, and I can't stand riding very long in my wife's Taco.

So with all due respect, for me and my family, we consider (our) GX very comfortable, or we wouldn't have been able to do 1,000+ mile days on a road trip a couple years ago going to the east coast.
Try pulling 1,000 miles in one day in most any other vehicle... and we did it multiple days!
I have a base model 2015 and my truck is the best riding offroadable 4wd I have ever driven. It rides better with LT Mud tires than a jeep does with passenger rated all seasons.

5100s definitely improved everything but the feel over concrete seams.

curious why most of you folks are choosing a 460 over a 4runner? I suspect most of you considered a 4runner when shopping, no?

Used GXes cost less than 4runners the same age and mileage, at least when I was looking last year. The GX is taller so it has normal ergonomics- some people complain the 4runner seats are close to the floor. The GX is nicer and quieter inside. The MPG is not much lower (6 speed trans helps). GXes are often suburban mall runners while 4Rs get off roaded and beat on more. GXes often get better care than 4Rs. Its not hard to find one with a full dealer service history. The GX arguably has a better 4wd system than most 4Rs and also has KDSS. Also: v8.

4Rs are cooler if you're young and sporty. The TRD has a locker. It's a better looking vehicle. It doesn't look like a suburban mall crawler but a few mods go a long ways to address that on the GX. I like that the GX is a bit of a sleeper.

V8 and amenities

First considered a 4runner for my wife as I have a 4th Gen. Both 4runner and 460, same year and mileage the GX was the same price if not a little cheaper. GX premium trim vs 4runner Limited.

Big things for me was the V8 and 6 speed, AWD with low range and CDL, and probably overlooked was the rear air conditioning back to the 3rd row.

I might be wrong but I believe the Limited 4Runners (5th Gen) cannot be in 4 low without the center diff locked. Which was a negative to me as I maneuver by boat with my 4th gen that way without binding. 4low with center diff unlocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom