What you guys think. 62 for sale local (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went to look at this today. It’s pretty straight. Runs and drives great. 195k miles. Has been painted a long time ago. Frame pretty rusty but not even close to through anywhere I could see. Interior is good other than tear in the driver seat. AC doesn’t work. Has new tires and battery. I don’t need it,but….I‘d have to pull from my IRA and that just doesn’t seem like a good idea. Although, the way it’s been going the LC may hold better value lol.
ca995e4b-d633-4e27-84d1-fdb04fb31986-jpeg.3339371
CC15F6F3-FD04-46DA-8965-4A05DB552C7F.jpeg

CA995E4B-D633-4E27-84D1-FDB04FB31986.jpeg

What's the asking price? Paint peeling off, rusted out quarter panel, and that's all we can see. Bad idea. Toyota is dumping 3FE parts right and left, so OEM support will only become more bleak. You can't predict future value based on current value. Bad idea. The purchase price is just the entry fee. Can you do your own work? Educate yourself on parts sourcing? Do bodywork or learn? l

What's the asking price? Paint peeling off, rusted out quarter panel, and that's all we can see. Bad idea. Toyota is dumping 3FE parts right and left, so OEM support will only become more bleak. You can't predict future value based on current value. Bad idea. The purchase price is just the entry fee. Can you do your own work? Educate yourself on parts sourcing? Do bodywork or learn? l
$8500. i work at a Toyota dealer. Yes I can do any of the work, although I do not like body work at all. This is what I needed to hear though. In my mind it’s about $4000 truck. I see people ”asking” big money, but not necessarily bringing big money. And honestly I’d most likely leave as is and just tinker around and drive it now and then. Crap, we got a 3rd and 4th gen 4runner and a Corolla commuter car. And I absolutely love my 3rd gen 4runner.

This is just like an 83 I saw on Facebook marketplace. Similar look and miles. Asking price $11,000. Didn’t even have 4 matching wheels!! I’d hold off on this 62 unless you just love it. Sounds like you have a good fleet.

$8500. i work at a Toyota dealer. Yes I can do any of the work, although I do not like body work at all. This is what I needed to hear though. In my mind it’s about $4000 truck. I see people ”asking” big money, but not necessarily bringing big money. And honestly I’d most likely leave as is and just tinker around and drive it now and then. Crap, we got a 3rd and 4th gen 4runner and a Corolla commuter car. And I absolutely love my 3rd gen 4runner.

Ok, since you work at Toyota dealership and can do the work let's re-rank this as a 75% bad idea. Now if you can get the guy to come down a few thousand then that lowers it to about a 50% bad idea, well within the realm of possibility. Once you drop below the 50% bad idea threshold then the purchase becomes more of opportunity (a slippery slope).

Just out of curiosity what state is this in?

Ok, since you work at Toyota dealership and can do the work let's re-rank this as a 75% bad idea. Now if you can get the guy to come down a few thousand then that lowers it to about a 50% bad idea, well within the realm of possibility. Once you drop below the 50% bad idea threshold then the purchase becomes more of opportunity (a slippery slope).

Just out of curiosity what state is this in?
Ky

Went to look at this today. It’s pretty straight. Runs and drives great. 195k miles. Has been painted a long time ago. Frame pretty rusty but not even close to through anywhere I could see. Interior is good other than tear in the driver seat. AC doesn’t work. Has new tires and battery. I don’t need it,but….I‘d have to pull from my IRA and that just doesn’t seem like a good idea. Although, the way it’s been going the LC may hold better value lol.
ca995e4b-d633-4e27-84d1-fdb04fb31986-jpeg.3339371
View attachment 3339377

View attachment 3339371
Don't pull $ from you IRA. You'll eventually need that. You don't need this headache 62

Changing out parts is easy. Paint and body work /sheet metal work takes alot of time space and proper tools and thousands of dollars and experience.

Maybe if you would have garage storage for it and would be willing to at least arrest the rust, if not fix. As you may know, the 60 series is rust prone.
That's why I wouldn't go for it, much as I love these Cruisers.

Did you happen to get pictures of the frames (especially c-channels)?

My truck was a polished turd when I bought it, but I "needed it." Wanted a 60 series since I was a youngster.

Anyway, when rust bubbles started popping up in all the usual places, I just let it go. But, then a couple of years later, I borrowed a welder from a neighbor, learned how to weld (not beautifully, but good enough after grinding). Cut out the rust and put in new sheet metal (from Wolf Steel out of Canada... panels took some work, but they did actually do the trick). Had to source a new tailgate (upper lift) because I could poke a hole through it with a pen... Anyway, with all of that finished, pulled the glass and then Monstalined her in 2-tone. I don't care about resale value because I'm never going to sell it.

I haven't ever added up how much I've spent on parts, supplies, etc. It's a lot. But, I don't regret it at all.

If you could talk the seller down, as others stated above, and if you don't mind going after the rust, and if you have the extra cash (I would pull that engine, clean it up, replace/refresh as necessary, reseal the whole thing and then plop it back in).

Sorry, this message got longer than I intended... also, my final big question is - how is the transmission? Pushing 200k, you might be lucky and run another 100k, or you might smoke it straight away.

Sorry, this message got longer than I intended... also, my final big question is - how is the transmission? Pushing 200k, you might be lucky and run another 100k, or you might smoke it straight away.
Right, they don't have a good rep. Beno calls them a crap transmission. Good potential for being a money pit.

This is going to be a pass for me. Should anyone else be interested I'll add a pic with the phone number. Staying with 4runner. Might have interest in a 1966 or older Beetle

Give you an idea mine was in excellent condition all original with zero rust anywhere like the perfect starting platform in excellent running condition. The buying price was the starting point as some have mentioned. I have probably doubled the original buying price just to update all the 35 year old parts to become a reliable cruiser. And this is starting with an excellent condition one. Also a lot of parts are no longer made. I love my cruiser though and don't regret any of it. I will hold onto it forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom