WeGoNow. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update... 7 months goes by in a hurry. Nothing Cruiser related, other than counting the days until I get my LX out of foster care. We spent the winter in Florida, probably saw 2-3 Landcruisers... Done with Florida. No need to go back. Nice place, very expensive to stay and not really our jam with the exception of Perdido Key.... loved that p[lace... the way i imagine Florida once was. Gatta get back on the trail., We peeled out of Ft Myers beach in April, spent May on Buckeye lake Ohio, flew into Denver for a show at Red Rocks... Then spent a month on the Bourbon trail....got some looking liquor... lots of Cruisers in KY... will be back fall of 23. We are currently in the UP Michigan enjoying cooler weather on the lake, went fishing for Lake trout... got about 60LBs of the stuff. Exceptional eating.. We have done Hwy 75 tip to toe in the last few months. We start back south in a few weeks, will be in Wisconsin, near the original home of IH8MUD @woody were i was introduced to jalapeno stuff tater tots some 25+ years ago... Will end up back in Texas for the winter where we will head back to Big Bend and attend the next LSLC Roundup.... Miss my Texas family... Hopefully Cruiser content coming soon. The GX is holding up, check engine light is on... playing parts roulette with that... Upgraded the Interwebs with StarLink... pretty awesome stuff... its a tree hatin MFR though... but when its connected its all good.. Back in Western Wi begiing Labor day, will get Roy out for a month and the 40...and the 62.... For a homeless couple we sure do have a lot of cars....

Wrapped up in the U.P. Now in Northern Wi Near Green Bay. Headed over to Nenah and Appleton today to check things out. Loved the UP, and on our last weekend we got lucky with Northern Lights. KP was hitting 4-5 and we had clear sky's, all the discussion boards Jen follows was saying we would have a good showing between 10-2am. Well, we did... amazing light show for sure. We will have one more shot at the lights this summer when we go to Washington Island for Deaths Door BBQ Death's Door BBQ - https://www.deathsdoorbbq.com/ comp the weekend of the 25th. If your in the area, lets connect!!

For the record there is a Landcruiser in both of these pics. Just hard to spot. Jens on the face book, if your interested in any of her photos. Jennifer Kemper Photography - https://www.facebook.com/JenniferKemperPhotography/ her camera takes good pics.. :)

Nortern lights.jpg

Northern lights 2.jpg

Less than 24 hours we will be reunited with the LX. Dead batt-tree and all. Seems the starter issue has come up. Click, click boom.. takes an owners touch to get it to crank. Thanks to MUD I know what to look for in finally fixing the core issue on the starting issue. Needless to say, very excited to get back into the fat truck... Armend with jumper cables and determination we shall have the beast back out behind the bus!! Oh, and a remote starter switch.... if i can find one, if not, ill MacGyver one up out of bailing wire and duct tape. Stay tuned!!

Success! New battery and she fired right up. Lots of things to get squared away, but after getting the tires back up to proper pressure and driving it some it seems to be DD ready. The AC crapped out and it needs an oil change along with a bath and general cleaning but overall, we are ready for some Texas hill country!! Hope to make the LSLC meeting next week and perhaps get up to Bonham this weekend to visit Mr Baker.

I'm very mad at you because I just burned 30 minutes reading this entire thread and drooling over all your adventures and photos. :cheers:
Sitting where I am, it occurs to me that you made at least two excellent decisions in life: 1) Your wife - what a trooper to have as a road partner, not to mention photographer. A great partner is worth their weight in gold, and then some. (I'm fortunate to have one, too); 2) Land Cruisers, no need to expand on that. Play on, player. Please keep posting. I love all the shots and the tales. Keep it up!

Fusible link replaced, so far after 1000 miles of driving the starter issue has not reappeared. I drove from DFW to Austin last week, seems the tires are round again. Forgot how much I enjoyed driving the LX. Got all the fluids changed and ready for some wheeling. Taking the RV to the spa on Monday. Its needing some love after our Southeast to U.P trip and back down to Dallas. 8K miles on the bus in a year does not seem like a great deal, but its a rolling hurricane. Best to get things checked out as we head further South then plan our trip to Montana with stops in Hill country Arkansas and South Dakota along the way. Fixin to get some dirt roads in soon.

I'm very mad at you because I just burned 30 minutes reading this entire thread and drooling over all your adventures and photos. :cheers:
Sitting where I am, it occurs to me that you made at least two excellent decisions in life: 1) Your wife - what a trooper to have as a road partner, not to mention photographer. A great partner is worth their weight in gold, and then some. (I'm fortunate to have one, too); 2) Land Cruisers, no need to expand on that. Play on, player. Please keep posting. I love all the shots and the tales. Keep it up!
Thak you, we are blessed thats for sure. We had a couple of fellow Nomads visit us in Grapevine this weekend. Connecting across the country with the tribe is one of the things we are most thankful for. We are never too far away from "family"

Rare to see one of these out in the wild anymore. One of the cool things about the Nomad life is you get to meet new Cruiser folks. Was running out for Thanksgiving brisket and i saw this beauty in a city parking lot. I pulled up to have a closer look and the owner pulled up next to me in his city marked car. Rick is the owner, he has had this 74 for 30 years, its his DD!! Did a 350 swap about 20 years ago... Originally from Cali, like many folks in Texas, this old gal has seen some miles, and the Rubicon. I let Rick know about LSLC meetings, the Round Up and of course Mud... Rick said he was thinking about painting it etc... My advice... Drive it! After we met i went to the local grocery store and ran into Rick in the produce section!! I love Texas...

Gatta get back to the brisket...

41 1 (1).jpg

41 2 (2).jpg

Just saw this thread as well. Saw your plan to come to Montana and hit some dirt roads. Thought I'd let you know there will be no dirt roads up here until April or May. All that white stuff, ya know? If you do come to Montana and pass through Coeur d'Alene, ID on your way out, be sure to give me a shout.

Just saw this thread as well. Saw your plan to come to Montana and hit some dirt roads. Thought I'd let you know there will be no dirt roads up here until April or May. All that white stuff, ya know? If you do come to Montana and pass through Coeur d'Alene, ID on your way out, be sure to give me a shout.
Plan is August and September in Montana. Will reach out.

Fresh off a weekend in Mason Texas at K2. Great seeing all the cool kids in LSLC and some legends of our community. We are very blessed.

We met the LSLC gang back in 2000-2001 when Jen and I moved to Carrolton for work. Our first week in the area was a LSCL meeting at Papas BBQ off of 35. Walked in and took about 15 seconds to feel right at home, we had been communicating on the old email forum.... feeling old!! LSLC has been family ever since. We spend holidays in the DFW area and will for the foreseeable future, we have fallin in love with Texas. I joke at time and say I think we have seen more of Texas, than most Texans... There is just sooo much.

We moved back North in 2001, it was a short stay but we consider Texas our second home. We have attended many Roundups, with a few different rigs, flew in, drove in etc.. In this case it was a 3 hour drive from where we have the bus parked. Was a terrific weekend, we roamed the core trails, watched the buggies doing #buggiethings and met some new folks from the Austin group. BTW, we want to head up to Marble Falls and hit that park while in the region. Or if your in the SA/Austin area we would love to connect, beers, parking lots whatever....

Over the last 5 months we have spent the holidays up in DFW area, January found us in Port A and we have spent the last 2 months in Castroville, just west of San Antonio. Next up will be the Austin area, west of town near Bee cave. In other news we purchased a spot at an RV resort in Fredericksburg and will be taking care of some details prior to heading back North. Look up FireFly resort, spot #162 if you want to bring your camper up for a weekend. All reservations are managed by Firefly.

The next 5 months we will be headed north to Wi, near the Twin Cities for June then out to the Black Hills for July and BHCC. August will be spent in Montana exploring the national parks. We will end up in Des Moines for Sept then start heading back to Texas for Winter... Likely back in SA and naturally, Fredericksburg.

In other news, Ill be attempting to sell the LX as well, long story there but what it comes down to is we don't want to have 2 vehicles with us, and we just don't use it like we should... its built for long road trips and rough dirt roads. Will be offering it up Turn Key, flat towable, Rubicon ready. If we sell the LX the GX will graduate to light duty core road adventure rig.

Greg and harsh.jpg

Harsh.JPG

twins.jpg

white whale.jpg

UPDATE! We moved, imagine that! We left Austin May 13th and the dew point was 73!! @razzoo had had enough. I had one last work event in Austin we had to stay for then we high tailed it up to Bonham then over to Honey Grove to drop off the LX with Bill and Sarah Moon. Had dinner with Bill Sarah and Mr @Texican my brother from another mama... With the LX safely tucked away the next leg was to head North to Des Moines.. We liked it so much we stayed a week. Back into blue jeans and pull overs with reasonable dew points. If you get to Des Moines, spend some time. Its perhaps the most underrated food city we have found in our travels... an abundance of things to do see, and eat! With ample brew pubs to wet your whistle. Plus, I had several work meetings in the area....

We headed a bit more North.... Home.... we got the motor house setup and an hour later we pulled the 62 from storage... How long should one go without driving a Landcruiser? One weeks it seems.

Tech related...... Had to use the GX to jumpstart the old beast but after that its been a solid runner for several week.

We met up with the home club for breakfast this morning and tooled around western Wi for a few hours. Its a terrific time of year to be in the north country... Dew points in the 60s!!! Met up with Mike and Paula Hogan @Hogan along with Rich Nifke for breakfast.

Side note @landcrusher909 I told a close friend of mine about your recent adventures in the Mint 400... He told me about this decanter he purchased about 20 years ago in a dive bar in Reno... You would have loved that story!!

Next up, we head over to Spearfish SD June 30-ish.... Looking forward to the Black Hills Cruiser Classic and connecting up with Cruiser fam in the Dakotas. After SD we head over to Bozman then a couple weeks' vacation to explore Yellowstone and Titons... Would love to connect with Cruiser brothers and Sisters while out west.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends..... REK.. true story.

LX Piggly wiggly.jpg

62.jpg

Hogans.jpg

8fd6d962-ab40-47c2-a105-55f5bff09856.JPG

16e6c76c-e5a1-4bfa-aee8-2a492124340f.JPG

One more shot of that decanter./

cfb4404e-2e97-49cb-9560-10280954b0f8.JPG

We have arrived in Spearfish. We headed West for the July 4th weekend. Boondocked in the Badlands, Thanks @woody for the recommendation... Although knowing my fear of heights I'm sure you had a good laugh when recommending it.

We headed over to Hill City for the July 4th weekend and camped with friends from Hudson, rode the 1880 train, needles, Custer state park etc...did all sorts of tourist stuff. KOA Rushmore is next level BTW... great spot. Rented UTVs for the day on the 3rd etc. Lots of things we have not done while trekking out here for the last 20+ years for the Black Hills Cruiser Classic. Trying to check those boxes. And, camping with others allows me to cook up a brisket! Love experimenting on guests... this one turned out.
Was also able to catch a show in Deadwood on the 6th. Randall King, was terrific...if you get a chance to catch this guy before he hits the big time just do it... Hes a good one. Next show is Cody Jinks on the 22nd...

Yesterday we met friends form the area for breakfast, Suga Shack! Highly recommend this place... We then visited Pactola Receveur and dipped our toes in the lake. We took the path less traveled back to Spearfish, stumbled on Rochford Days, had a free burger at the Moonshine bar with a stop at the falls.. Stayed on MM roads most of the way back... The GX is great for this stuff..

Looking forward to returning to the BHCC this year, getting connected and reconnecting with folks in our tribe.

If your attending BHCC or in the area lets try and connect... Till next time.... Wegonow!

bad lands boondocking.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

Spearfish canyon.jpg

brisket.jpg

RZR.jpg

We left Spearfish on Friday after work. Could stay another month! Love that area. Headed to Bozeman! One week there then a couple weeks exploring Yellowstone and Tetons. One day in Montana and we have spotted more cruisers than a month in SD. They are everywhere.

Our first night was a layover at a Harvest Host in Billings at a Winery. We parked the house adjacent to the Winery right in front of a Shouse! And the fella gave us a tour. He built this house in an industrial park and built a 3 stall, 2 deep garage and 1800 square foot house. Was amazing, and some great toys inside. Next door was live music pizza and great wine. Voyaging to Yellowstone Cellars and Winery - Unique RV Camping with Harvest Hosts - https://harvesthosts.com/rv-camping/voyaging-yellowstone-cellars-and-winery/

On our way out of Billings we spotted an LX that looked very familiar, Virgina plates. Great looking car that def has some adventures, and great stories to tell. 3 more months.....and I get mine back.... ohhhh the anticipation.

We found our way to Bozeman by check in time, great little RV park right next to the railroad... those horns are pretty loud at 4 f&ing am... good gawd. We are about 1.5 miles from Mainstreet Bozeman. Next to a Subaru dealer with a white 94-80 FS. asking $17K. It looks really clean, and that LX made me miss my LX enough that im tempted to buy this one!! Shoot me a note if your interested, ill take a look at it for you.

Our last Cruiser siting for the day was the best..... funny with the 40... you catch a glimpse of the white top "zipping" by and its like a UFO spotting. I think I saw a white top...i said.... pretty sure that was a 40... Jen starts scanning the street, they turned around... wait, they are parking out front.... Its not a rational reaction to the casual observer but we pounce! With SAS on the mind I had my Ouray Fj40 shirt on they spotted me right away, I'm hard to miss......almost expecting to have a chat... The driver, @Boshouse a Mud member to boot.. Boss told us all about this beauty and the other one they are getting restored for his wife. Bonus, they had dinner at the same place and sat close. Love this community.... we shared some pics, stories and intentions of trying to connect with the locals during our short stay. Great people... seems always to be the case. We met a couple in Denver on an overnight while headed to Ouray a couple years ago... same vibe, we chilled talked cruisers then carry on...

Some people ask us... "Dont you ever get lonely traveling all over the country?".. We miss home don't get me wring... but we are connected to the most amazing community of folks and feel so blessed to be a part of it. Metting new people, hearing their stories... Never gets old.... And most cases we already know folks as is the case in Bozeman... we have friends here from Wisconsin... Blessed 10000 ways... Did i mention the local met market has Tri-Tip for $3.49LB.... Oh yeah.. tri-tip tacos are on the menu baby!!! We need a more bigger freezer....

Off to explore Big Sky.... and track down more Cruisers... its not stalking if you only do it once....

shouse.jpg

LX450 1.jpg

LX450 2.jpg

FJ40 2.PNG

White 80 FS.jpg

Last edited:
We left Spearfish on Friday after work. Could stay another month! Love that area. Headed to Bozeman! One week there then a couple weeks exploring Yellowstone and Tetons. One day in Montana and we have spotted more cruisers than a month in SD. They are everywhere.

Our first night was a layover at a Harvest Host in Billings at a Winery. We parked the house adjacent to the Winery right in front of a Shouse! And the fella gave us a tour. He built this house in an industrial park and built a 3 stall, 2 deep garage and 1800 square foot house. Was amazing, and some great toys inside. Next door was live music pizza and great wine. Voyaging to Yellowstone Cellars and Winery - Unique RV Camping with Harvest Hosts - https://harvesthosts.com/rv-camping/voyaging-yellowstone-cellars-and-winery/

On our way out of Billings we spotted an LX that looked very familiar, Virgina plates. Great looking car that def has some adventures, and great stories to tell. 3 more months.....and I get mine back.... ohhhh the anticipation.

We found our way to Bozeman by check in time, great little RV park right next to the railroad... those horns are pretty loud at 4 f&ing am... good gawd. We are about 1.5 miles from Mainstreet Bozeman. Next to a Subaru dealer with a white 94-80 FS. asking $17K. It looks really clean, and that LX made me miss my LX enough that im tempted to buy this one!! Shoot me a note if your interested, ill take a look at it for you.

Our last Cruiser siting for the day was the best..... funny with the 40... you catch a glimpse of the white top "zipping" by and its like a UFO spotting. I think I saw a white top...i said.... pretty sure that was a 40... Jen starts scanning the street, they turned around... wait, they are parking out front.... Its not a rational reaction to the casual observer but we pounce! With SAS on the mind I had my Ouray Fj40 shirt on they spotted me right away, I'm hard to miss......almost expecting to have a chat... The driver, @BossHoss a Mud member to boot.. Boss told us all about this beauty and the other one they are getting restored for his wife. Bonus, they had dinner at the same place and sat close. Love this community.... we shared some pics, stories and intentions of trying to connect with the locals during our short stay. Great people... seems always to be the case. We met a couple in Denver on an overnight while headed to Ouray a couple years ago... same vibe, we chilled talked cruisers then carry on...

Some people ask us... "Dont you ever get lonely traveling all over the country?".. We miss home don't get me wring... but we are connected to the most amazing community of folks and feel so blessed to be a part of it. Metting new people, hearing their stories... Never gets old.... And most cases we already know folks as is the case in Bozeman... we have friends here from Wisconsin... Blessed 10000 ways... Did i mention the local met market has Tri-Tip for $3.49LB.... Oh yeah.. tri-tip tacos are on the menu baby!!! We need a more bigger freezer....

Off to explore Big Sky.... and track down more Cruisers... its not stalking if you only do it once....

View attachment 3387428

View attachment 3387429

View attachment 3387430

View attachment 3387447

View attachment 3387457
What a fun lifestyle to live, I'll try to hold back my envy. For now all I can manage is whatever days I am able to escape from work, driving as far as I can before having to turn around and come back to reality.

The key piece of your story was the ability to have a flexible work location. I hope to get there one day..

Full steam ahead guys, have fun out here in MT and avoid all the tourist spots, so much more to see ( assuming the wildfire smoke clears =] )

Time fly's when you are having fun and searching for Cruisers across this great country of ours. We spent most of August in Montanna, Cruisers everywhere. Its hard to overstate the beauty of Yellowstone and Tetons.

We headed back East to Mn spent a week there visiting friends and the Mn State Fair. Arguably one of the best in the country. We then headed South to Cincinatti for the month of September... Cincinatti!! you say...we thought the same only to find out its an amazing city! Food, folks, great stadiums etc..and, 2nd largest Oktoberfest in the world! I also had a new hire that started when we were there so it was a great chance to get another team member onboarded. Cinci goes down as the most underrated city we have visited.

On our way to Dallas we spent 3 weeks in Bowling Green KY. Kentucky is amazing. so much to offer.. I was able to fly out of Nashville for business so naturally we spent a weekend there... I think :) BG is where we found a new car.. 2022 Bronco with less than 1000 miles on it., Badlands, Sasquatch. We still had the GX and ended up saying goodby to that just this week. We loved that car but i really wanted one of those new Broncos! So now we have the LX and the Bronco. Will get the new one configured for flat tow when the LX goes back to North Texas.

Tech: I have an airbag light on the dash. Ill search MUDD, figured id ask... Light was not there previously. Also sold the RTT and storage boxes. I also need to see how I can firm up that suspension a tad, it floats like a 87 caddy... But damnit I love it, took a trip to Austin last week and drove the LX... Got home Thursday and drove the GX to the LSLC meeting last week, was good to see the crew at Rudys. Hopefully get out and hit some trails soon! Headed back to St Paul this Friday for the holidays.. Dropping the house off for annual service then jump on 35N.. 2 turns, 1200 miles and then back in Hudson for a week.

Til next time.... WeGoNow.

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_3088.jpg

airbag.jpg

Math... 22 years we have had an 80/LX. There has been a pause. We have sold our 97LX, love that rig... So many great adventures and memories. Will definitely make my final slide show! Sad day indeed. As the new owner is in Texas, we are confident this is "See ya later on down the road". Over the last 2 years the LX has sat more than it has been used as intended. With the purchase of the new Bronco and our nomad lifestyle it made no sense to hang on to it. I received a text from the NO the day after i dropped it at his shop.. Hes loving the LX so far. Very satisfying to find a great home for it. So, thanks for letting me hang here in the 80 series tech section, hopefully we will see some of you at the Roundup this year. In DFW currently headed to Galveston on the 30th, Feb, March will be in Hill Country April in Austin. May we head up to Hot Springs to check out that geography for a bit. We have a Nomad meet up in the off road park...

thanks again.. Ill be lurking..

See ya later.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom