Wavian Jerry cans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone had this kind of rust in just a year and a half?

73EC656F-7B21-4CA3-BB3C-26A3D7126E51.jpeg

01FB00E0-EDE4-4976-85CA-4B8C5B821B35.jpeg

87E1E3DB-5487-4340-8716-F33889E09001.jpeg

FE7F9766-DCA5-4F25-B92A-43C555C3937F.jpeg

64ADA272-7029-44C5-BB72-EFCCA1843D04.jpeg

My green ones that I got from that Land Rover mail order place ten years ago have been stored inside an Action Packer, outdoors. They have absolutely no sign of any paint degeneration except where they rub on the metal frame of my roof rack. Was your stored in a hostile/corrosive environment? Hard to believe that only took 1.5 years to get that rusty.

Last edited:
in my area, that would be pretty bad for 1.5 years.
Then again, annoying, but it's just paint, easy to strip, rust-neutralize, and repaint with better stuff.
Now, if it's rusting inside too, that's not good at all...

If it’s rusting inside too then you would probably be better off starting with new ones as they last a long time, the midwest cans at HF are pretty good and not overly expensive.

Starting with a rusty container is setting up potential problems in the near time. Sure they might hold fuel now, but for how long is a different question they are already compromised.

Rust particles in the fuel = clogged fuel filters or worse.

If it’s rusting inside too then you would probably be better off starting with new ones as they last a long time, the midwest cans at HF are pretty good and not overly expensive.

Starting with a rusty container is setting up potential problems in the near time. Sure they might hold fuel now, but for how long is a different question they are already compromised.

Rust particles in the fuel = clogged fuel filters or worse.

I don’t think they’re rusting on the inside, but as you can see from one of the photos, it’s to the point that the rust has exposed multiple layers of metal. So it’s inevitable that it will rust through.

Interestingly, Wavian told me the cans were not designed for “coastal environments.” I live in MInnesota. 🙄

They did offer me 20% off a new can. But I’m done with them. I ordered a couple of Scepter cans.

My green ones that I got from that Land Rover mail order place ten years ago have been stored inside an Action Packer, outdoors. They have absolutely no sign of any paint degeneration except where they rub on the metal frame of my roof rack. Was your stored in a hostile/corrosive environment? Hard to believe that only took 1.5 years to get that rusty.

Nope. They lived in my garage most of the time, the exception being when I took a long-distance trip. Might have been a bad batch or something.

I would be annoyed if the cans are this new. And their customer service is not great either, apparently. I would ask for a credit for something else (like spouts etc). I have had good luck asking customer services for something they sell to be sent free as compensation, it's likely easy for them to do. Mention politely in passing that you are on numerous influential adventure vehicles web sites... :)

But I don't think those cans are compromised if it's just the outside. Looks like just surface rust under a bad paint job. If you don't mind spending the time, it would be easy and cheap to fix. I have 60 yrs old NATO cans that had some minor rust like that, repainted them and they have been outside for years now with no visible ill effect.

I'm 8 miles from the Pacific Ocean. All of my cans live outside, I haven't bought any since well before the pandemic, and none of them are that rusty.

Could they have gotten road salt on them?

MISF paints all of his fuel cans with POR-15, that might be an option. He even fixed a custom fab'd fuel tank that a tow truck driver caused a small leak in, with POR. Not really what it was made for, but it is his own vehicle.

I'm 8 miles from the Pacific Ocean. All of my cans live outside, I haven't bought any since well before the pandemic, and none of them are that rusty.

Could they have gotten road salt on them?

MISF paints all of his fuel cans with POR-15, that might be an option. He even fixed a custom fab'd fuel tank that a tow truck driver caused a small leak in, with POR. Not really what it was made for, but it is his own vehicle.
Yes, it could be road salt. That’s a good point. It destroys everything else it touches up here. But I’ve never seen it happen so fast.

I have Sand Blasted & Powder Coated them.
If they are not kept full they like to start to Rust at Seam on inside. The Works Toilet bowl Cleaner ($.99 at Dollar Store) along with a Handful of 1/2" Nuts and Lots of Shaking cleans the Insides up Nicely then Clean Fully and Heat (set in sun, Hair Dryer, Heat gun, etc) then a coating of POR15 Tank Sealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom