Rear Axle Shafts Hard to Install? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
I just put a new ARB locker in my rear axle. I put in new bearings and seals while I was in there. Now I'm installing the axle shafts and they are TIGHT. They easily slide in until the last couple inches. The shaft is aligned with the teeth inside the diff. I can easily turn the third member with the axle shaft, so I know everything is aligned.

Is it normal for new bearings and seals to be this tight? I will have to hammer the shafts in to get them in fully.

Thoughts?

Could you post some pics? Did you check if axle is bent? New bearings and seal would not cause your issue it looks like the splines might be twisted or tight for the new carrier. Is this on both axles? Is the drop out fully seated in the housing?

the short side axle isn't too hard but the long axle can be a MAJOR PITA to get lined up and fully engaged. Do you have an extra set of hands to slowly rotate the flange while you try to get it to go in? That is usually the solution. Keep trying.

Turned out that everything was totally aligned. According to ARB instructions “use a light tap to insert the axles”, we did persuade the axles with some soft hammer taps and they seated fully. Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom