Builds 1969 FJ40 Father / Son Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So today I tackled getting my harmonic balancer on. I was able to lock up the clutch assemble against the frame to torque it.

IMG_3893.jpeg

but now when I mock up my alternator using my F engine brackets, and the old pulley, it looks like I’m still a bit off on alignment. Is there another pulley meant for this that I’m not aware of? I’m assuming I can use the F brackets setup on this 2F.
IMG_3895.jpeg
IMG_3894.jpeg

So I’m guessing I should use my F motor water pump? This new guy looks like it would line up to an outer pulley position on the crank if I had one.

IMG_3898.jpeg

So rather that coming up with a different pulley I went with the older style water pump. Everything seems to line up well; turned a spacer for the alternator.
Got a nice used distributed from @65swb45 and attempting to install per

So is there any way to know I’m on the compression stroke without taking the valve cover off? Also when I drop in the dizzy per instructions it doesn’t look like I’m pointing towards cylinder 4 as much as they show. 🤷🏼‍♂️

IMG_3974.jpeg
IMG_3975.jpeg

With the oil filter in that location everything needs to be clocked 60 degrees. #1 will be basically pointing right at the block, or a little bit past.
And if this is an initial break in, I would clock it even more, so I could bump up the timing while the rings are seating.

So rather that coming up with a different pulley I went with the older style water pump. Everything seems to line up well; turned a spacer for the alternator.
Got a nice used distributed from @65swb45 and attempting to install per

So is there any way to know I’m on the compression stroke without taking the valve cover off? Also when I drop in the dizzy per instructions it doesn’t look like I’m pointing towards cylinder 4 as much as they show. 🤷🏼‍♂️

View attachment 3338945View attachment 3338946
Pull #1 spark plug, stick a long handle screw driver or wooden dowel in, rotate crank (by hand) until it pops up before it sinks again. #1 is TDC.

Thanks guys. Good idea about rotating to get the vacuum advance to clear.
As far as TDC though doesn’t it have to be on the compression stroke though?

Thanks guys. Good idea about rotating to get the vacuum advance to clear.
As far as TDC though doesn’t it have to be on the compression stroke though?

Yes, it needs to be on the compression stroke. Pull 1 plug, you can bump starter in short clicks, you'll hear air being forced out. Align the timing mark on the fly wheel. Or turn engine by hand with finger over number 1 hole. Or pull all the plugs put the vehicle in 3rd ot 4th gear and push the vehicle and have a finger over #1 plug hole till air is forced out. Align timing marks.

Yes, it needs to be on the compression stroke. Pull 1 plug, you can bump starter in short clicks, you'll hear air being forced out. Align the timing mark on the fly wheel. Or turn engine by hand with finger over number 1 hole. Or pull all the plugs put the vehicle in 3rd ot 4th gear and push the vehicle and have a finger over #1 plug hole till air is forced out. Align timing marks.
Thanks! I didn’t think about placing a finger over the hole. I was able to use my compression gauge to verify. I got a suspiciously low pressure so I hope I was doing something wrong. Haha

Thanks! I didn’t think about placing a finger over the hole. I was able to use my compression gauge to verify. I got a suspiciously low pressure so I hope I was doing something wrong. Haha
I used one of these on the #1 spark plug spun too TDC and blew it out. Knew it was at TDC.

image.jpg

Why do you have an aversion to taking off the valve cover? Personally, I think seeing the rockers dribbling is the most effective way of knowing the distributor is properly seated.

Why do you have an aversion to taking off the valve cover? Personally, I think seeing the rockers dribbling is the most effective way of knowing the distributor is properly seated.
Good point- non other than thinking I’d unnecessarily create a leak. But now I’m bothered by barely registering compression numbers. But the motor was test run prior so could be something I’m missing

Good point- non other than thinking I’d unnecessarily create a leak. But now I’m bothered by barely registering compression numbers. But the motor was test run prior so could be something I’m missing
Pulling the VC also allows you to recheck head bolt torque before you fire.

I thought I'd throw this out as I didn't find any similar threads in my search...
Looking at the fuel tank installation, it seems to be isolated from the chassis - pads top and bottom, rubber fuel lines, and rubber gasket under the fuel sender. Seems like a tank should be grounded not build up a charge. I guess now that I think about it, the sender conducts through the screws to the tank, so there is a path there.
Maybe I'm over thinking it and that path is good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom