Fuel cut off solenoid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The manual for my 67 fj40 calls this the "magnetic switch valve." Mine fell apart, literally, when I removed the 2 screws that hold it in place on the back side of the carb. The wires crumbled from the spool, plastic spool piece was cracked and the pin was bent. I suspected this was my idle problem, so I wanted to inspect it. Does anyone know where I can get a new one or rebuilt one. I can't find them anywhere. Thanks.

have you inquired with Specter Offroad ?

I have an intermittent issue withe keeping the engine running at low rpm after start up and no choke, I am wondering if it is ok or advisable to run a bypass wire, from an inginition switch controlled fuse directlyto the actuating wire of the carb solinoid, this is a single wire solinoid from a 1977 fj 40?

I have an intermittent issue withe keeping the engine running at low rpm after start up and no choke, I am wondering if it is ok or advisable to run a bypass wire, from an inginition switch controlled fuse directlyto the actuating wire of the carb solinoid, this is a single wire solinoid from a 1977 fj 40?

Lots of people (myself included) have done this, after their "emissions computer" that controls the fuel cut solenoid goes bad. All I had to do (on my 1980) was ground the wire that comes from the solenoid and goes into the "computer".

@Engineer8000 can help you get the emissions computer working again, if that's you're problem.

The manual for my 67 fj40 calls this the "magnetic switch valve." Mine fell apart, literally, when I removed the 2 screws that hold it in place on the back side of the carb. The wires crumbled from the spool, plastic spool piece was cracked and the pin was bent. I suspected this was my idle problem, so I wanted to inspect it. Does anyone know where I can get a new one or rebuilt one. I can't find them anywhere. Thanks.
"HERE's" one mud vendor that has them. Oops! just noticed your year. Sorry.

@Engineer8000 can help you get the emissions computer working again, if that's you're problem.
hi, just saw your email, I was initially convinced my emmsion computer was the issue, I sent it to the fellow at Cape fear electronicsl. He looked at the board and said he saw nothing wrong, but that the computer had nothing to do with the carb solenoid. contol.? He sent it backto me, Well, I am not sure what was going on. MY circuit check showed a direct connection beween the power on line of the computer and the single power line of the carb solenoid,

The May1977 fj 40 had only a single line to the solenoid , the ground was the cap body.

This isntemittent issue is really frustrating, by measuring the power on the single line going into the solenoid, it is clear that there is no poweer. there when the truck doesn run.

IT WAS A

hi, just saw your email, I was initially convinced my emmsion computer was the issue, I sent it to the fellow at Cape fear electronicsl. He looked at the board and said he saw nothing wrong, but that the computer had nothing to do with the carb solenoid. contol.? He sent it backto me, Well, I am not sure what was going on. MY circuit check showed a direct connection beween the power on line of the computer and the single power line of the carb solenoid,

The May1977 fj 40 had only a single line to the solenoid , the ground was the cap body.

This isntemittent issue is really frustrating, by measuring the power on the single line going into the solenoid, it is clear that there is no poweer. there when the truck doesn run.

IT WAS A very wer winter and I suspect that some line some where got corosion some where. and this the issue now to find it!..

tomsq

Lots of people (myself included) have done this, after their "emissions computer" that controls the fuel cut solenoid goes bad. All I had to do (on my 1980) was ground the wire that comes from the solenoid and goes into the "computer".
hey thanks, I did this on myfj60 and it worked great, only thing is on the fj 60 there are two wires to the solenoid, and on the 77 40, there is one, the power line the ground it to the body. just wasnt sure that it would be ok to bypass the old line, but it should work, bTW a fellow at Cape Fear electronics says the emission computer has nothing to do with the solenoid. I think on the fj60 it does, but maybe hes right on the 77 fj40.

thanks for you reply

... bTW a fellow at Cape Fear electronics says the emission computer has nothing to do with the solenoid. I think on the fj60 it does, but maybe hes right on the 77 fj40.

He is probably right for your year; he knows his stuff.

On my (12/79 build date) 1980, the emissions computer does control the fuel cut solenoid. Not sure what year of the 2F that they changed to that.
Good luck with getting your issue resolved.

Does anyone know where to obtain either a stock new idle solenoid o-ring or a suitable replacment (plus any mfg and part numbers)?

TIA

You should be able to find one at any reputable hardware store, or you should find one with McMaster-Carr.

Does anyone know where to obtain either a stock new idle solenoid o-ring or a suitable replacment (plus any mfg and part numbers)?

TIA
Try 21655-44101 from Mr T. (about $3.75) I bought a couple thinking this was my issue, but it ended up being bad terminal wire connectors.

image.jpg

Last edited:
For those that have removed the idle solenoid, cleaned/lubed it, does it seem to stay working as time goes on, or is this just a temporay fix until you are able to get a new solenoid? Mine is acting intermittent since the clean/lube. '77 carb on '79 2f. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom