BJ40 jump seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased a 1983 BJ40 diesel Landcruiser from Italy. It is being shipped to Canada in the next few weeks. Vehicle is in great condition. It came from Toyota with with no rear jump seats. This is my first 40 series and I would like to understand which types of jump seats can be fitted in the back. I would ideally like to find a compatible set of used seats that can be reupholstered to match the current gray interior. I’m open to suggestions and general guidance!!

I just purchased a 1983 BJ40 diesel Landcruiser from Italy. It is being shipped to Canada in the next few weeks. Vehicle is in great condition. It came from Toyota with with no rear jump seats. This is my first 40 series and I would like to understand which types of jump seats can be fitted in the back. I would ideally like to find a compatible set of used seats that can be reupholstered to match the current gray interior. I’m open to suggestions and general guidance!!

Post up a “Wanted” add in the classified Section.

I think there are 2 different types of jump seats a long seat that is used when there is no roll bar like the south American imports.

For the US version the jump seats for an 83 would have a skinny leg. Like the picture below

FJ40 Jump Seat Frames.jpg

Type of jump seats has a lot to do with it a roll bar was installed. I noticed my 79 has more fixed nuts along the top of the tub for both narrow and wide jump seats. In North America both Canada and the US had roll bars. So the Narrower jump seats will obviously be easier to find. Quick search I did not find Europe getting a roll bar in the BJ42 hard top or soft top. The wider jump seats will harder to find in North America. Seems markets like the Middle East it's easier buying a vehicle than parts for a vehicle. My guess SA America will be the easiest if you can a contact.

There are many options once you know which size you need, long or short.
ebay
btbprod.com
relikgarage.com
cruisercorp.com
ih8mud classified

This is a BJ40 not a BJ42? Interesting I do not find a BJ40 listing for Europe after 7/80. I know a few markets got the BJ40 for a couple years later 7/80. Know some countries in Asia and possibly Portugal but didn't see Italy getting a BJ40 that late. 83 would also have five speed in a BJ42.

This is a BJ40 not a BJ42? Interesting I do not find a BJ40 listing for Europe after 7/80. I know a few markets got the BJ40 for a couple years later 7/80. Know some countries in Asia and possibly Portugal but didn't see Italy getting a BJ40 that late. 83 would also have five speed in a BJ42.
This

Definitely a BJ40. VIN and cowl tag denote it. Also it is a 1983. It has a factory roll bar so it seems like the shorter seats with legs are the option for it. When it arrives I will be in a better position to measure things up so to speak!

Definitely a BJ40. VIN and cowl tag denote it. Also it is a 1983. It has a factory roll bar so it seems like the shorter seats with legs are the option for it. When it arrives I will be in a better position to measure things up so to speak!

What is the complete model number on the tag under the hood. BJ40 would have a four speed. 10/82 almost all BJ42s had the H55F five speed.

If has a roll bar should be easy to install jump seats. Would be rare to not have factory jump seats.

BJ40LV-KC. ITS A 4 speed

Factory roll bar should have a J after the C.
L is forLHD
V is for Hard Top
K is for four speed.
C is for ambulance doors.

Late models in the US FJ40LV-KCJA

J is for a roll bar.
A is for US market.

I do not show Europe getting a BJ40LV after 7/80. 1/75-7/80 are BJ40LV-KCW or BJ40LV-KW on hard top models. Without the C would be barn doors with a lift hatch. I assume the W is for European market. Do you have pictures of the roll bar and inside wheel. Factory roll bars have four special brackets to secure the roll bar.

Factory roll bar should have a J after the C.
L is forLHD
V is for Hard Top
K is for four speed.
C is for ambulance doors.

Late models in the US FJ40LV-KCJA

J is for a roll bar.
A is for US market.

I do not show Europe getting a BJ40LV after 7/80. 1/75-7/80 are BJ40LV-KCW or BJ40LV-KW on hard top models. Without the C would be barn doors with a lift hatch. I assume the W is for European market. Do you have pictures of the roll bar and inside wheel. Factory roll bars have four special brackets to secure the roll bar.
Thanks for the decode! I’m learning more about it. Perhaps you can tell me more about the cowl tag info? See attached. I don’t have a photo of the rear area attachment points for the roll bar. I’ve attached a few more pics of the vehicle. I appreciate your feedback!!

IMG_1435.jpeg

Foto 22-09-22, 18 42 27.jpeg

Foto 22-09-22, 18 42 36.jpeg

Foto 22-09-22, 18 30 17.jpeg

0a93e26e-c5b1-46f6-854d-46d51eb1b3d5.jpeg

I think this have to be manufactured 1979-1980, although it’s 1st registered in 1983.

Edit: well, it’s not European model, so there is a possibility that it’s made after 1980: Spare parts for BJ40LV frame Toyota Land Cruiser - Auto parts - https://toyota-europe.epc-data.com/land_cruiser/bj40lv/

And every BJ40LV-KC is came without a roll bar from factory (WORB).

This is registered in 1980, VIN is quite close to yours: Personbil TOYOTA Land Cruiser BJ40 LV-KC (Momsfri) | Auktionshuset dab A/S - https://www.auktionshuset.dk/en/auktioner/koretojsauktion-februar-kabeltrailere-veteranbiler-varebil-samt-trailere/lots/11/personbil-toyota-land-cruiser-bj40-lv-kc--momsfri-

Last edited:
The vehicle was first registered in January 1984. Based on the speedo going up to 999,999 and the fact the steering wheel is a newer generation of wheel, I do believe it is a 1983. It’s a 2 owner vehicle. The current owner has owned it since 1986. It came with a factory installed winch…..or perhaps a dealer installed winch. Note the winch lever on the floor closest to the gas pedal.

I think this have to be manufactured 1979-1980, although it’s 1st registered in 1983.

Edit: well, it’s not European model, so there is a possibility that it’s made after 1980: Spare parts for BJ40LV frame Toyota Land Cruiser - Auto parts - https://toyota-europe.epc-data.com/land_cruiser/bj40lv/

And every BJ40LV-KC is came without a roll bar from factory (WORB).

This is registered in 1980, VIN is quite close to yours: Personbil TOYOTA Land Cruiser BJ40 LV-KC (Momsfri) | Auktionshuset dab A/S - https://www.auktionshuset.dk/en/auktioner/koretojsauktion-februar-kabeltrailere-veteranbiler-varebil-samt-trailere/lots/11/personbil-toyota-land-cruiser-bj40-lv-kc--momsfri-

The vehicle was first registered in January 1984. Based on the speedo going up to 999,999 and the fact the steering wheel is a newer generation of wheel, I do believe it is a 1983. It’s a 2 owner vehicle. The current owner has owned it since 1986. It came with a factory installed winch…..or perhaps a dealer installed winch. Note the winch lever on the floor closest to the gas pedal.

The lever for the Transfer case has a 8/80+ knob which has the largest thread. The glove box is also 8/80 and later. That has a different latch and not just a matter of changing glovebox doors. It has a heater which would not think would be one imported to Asia. Believe it was built after 8/80 but before 10/82. In the US in the late fifties and early sixties was common to have cruiser sold later and registered as the later year. Brass tag attached to the under the hood VIN plaque didn't start right away. At one time I had four FJ25s built in 1960. Two were registered as 61s. Remember seeing one registered as a 62. The PTO was most likely added later the lock on the lever is pre 1/79.
This is the correct shifter for a 10/82+ in a 40 series.
016.JPG

Transmission is not 10/82+. Upper left is the correct inspection cover for 1/79-9/82. The two on the right are a five speed on top and four speed on 10/82+.
IMG_2764.JPG

The pictures post are not enough to confirm if it's a factory roll bar.

Because there is no letter at the end of the model number to indicate a certain market most likely a general market BJ40. Most markets got the BJ42 from 8/80 which would mean to number of BJ40s being built was greatly reduced. Possible in Italy could order one special with certain options that aren't on the VIN plaque. The barrier between the front back looks custom. The solid plate has stamped ribs like would expect from the factory. The only two things that do not look 10/82+ is the transmission hump which isn't raised on the front for a five speed and the dash which should have a removable panel on the middle. Still doesn't mean Toyota didn't use a tub they still had build this one after 10/82. 11/84 was the start of the 70 series. They are certain 40 series built to 4/86. I read on here that one of the possible reason was Toyota had direct contracts to supply a certain model thur a certain date. This could be one of those. I do show the BJ40 build thru the 84 model. From what I'm seeing those are general market models.
I do show these general market BJ40 having the later dash and transmission inspection cover from 10/82+. On the FJ40 the three speed ended when the transmission cover changed 10/82. For. That reason believe from 10/82 Toyota only produced one style dash and transmission hump. Those is the 10/82 change to the transmission hump. Shows how much it was raised when the H55F started being used in the 40 series. This particular hump is from an 83 HJ47 that was only available with four speed.
P1050977.JPG

@OGBeno might have some insight on this. He has vast knowledge and literature from markets outside the US. I'm limited to what I've acquired and what is easily found on the internet.
Summoning the @OGBeno ^^^

$hit just got serious 😳.

@OGBeno might have some insight on this. He has vast knowledge and literature from markets outside the US. I'm limited to what I've acquired and what is easily found on the internet.
What’s the question/Cliff Notes?
Hello. I just purchased a 1983 BJ40 from Italy. It’s being shipped now from Italy to Halifax Canada. It’s my first 40. Looking for any interesting information on this particular model. The cowl tag says BJ40LV-KC. It’s a 2 owner vehicle and in excellent condition.

IMG_1435.jpeg

IMG_2727.jpeg

IMG_2728.jpeg

Foto 22-09-22, 18 30 17.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom