12.5 gallon LRA tank squeak… SOLVED! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pierce

SILVER Star
Threads
2016 LC. I have an in-curable squeak after the installation of a 12.5 gallon LRA aux tank. I initially thought it was the spare rubbing on something. I have isolated every conceivable contact point between my spare and everything else but the squeak continues. It’s most prevalent when reversing and stopping but it also happens when stopping during forward movement, it’s just not as loud.

Any wisdom would be appreciated.

Have you removed the spare and is the squeak still there?

The LRA tank is mounted to the frame. It is VERY close to the body. The body and frame move independently. If you don't mitigate the conact, you will end up with noises. As I understand it, Slee stopped installing the 12.5 gal because of this. Ed Martin Toyota recommended uisng a thin layer of neoprene rubber to mitigate this. I followed their lead and installed strips of neoprene rubber, and mine has been silent (16,000 miles, 2 x-country trips, moab and breckenridge).

My 24gal LRA doesn’t squeak.

ACC in ATL installed it along with all of my accessories 2 yrs and many miles ago. Everything is rock solid and quiet

Perhaps they can help you out.

Last edited:
24 is mounted completely differently. Not the same issue.

I’m away from home this weekend but will try removing the spare and see if things change. My fear is that I have already installed felt on all the spare tire contact points and don’t know what else to do if it is the spare.

I read that interference between the body and tank in the 100 series was an issue but I wasn’t aware it could be an issue with the 200. There appeared to be ample room during installation.

I have a 24 gal on my 80 and have had zero issues.

On a positive note. We are in the middle of a 1400 mile road trip and the extra capacity is amazing. We now need to look into catheters to extend our bladder range.

It’s not the spare :mad:. I got a bore scope to look at the top of the tank. At the very least it’s the pesky little Evap canister bracket that was supposed to be bent out of the way.

I hate removing these aux tanks with a passion. The 200 series is 5x worse than the 80.

I had this issue as well. It was more of a creaking/groaning noise when accelerating, decelerating, and turning right (but not left). I had meant to deal with it but never had the time to do so. Then I went on a trip to Moab where it was kinda muddy. Since then the noise has gone away. I suspect that a big chunk had added a layer of protection between the tank and body. So I guess it's "solved" for now but will probably come back at some point and I'll have to look into fixing it then.

Very common, there are some fixes that I think Slee, Eric Sarjaent and others implemented to resolve, mine never squeaked.

I think it involves strips of liner (think similar to a very durable moleskin) placed in the areas the tank contacts the frame, but it has been awhile.

I had this issue as well. It was more of a creaking/groaning noise when accelerating, decelerating, and turning right (but not left). I had meant to deal with it but never had the time to do so. Then I went on a trip to Moab where it was kinda muddy. Since then the noise has gone away. I suspect that a big chunk had added a layer of protection between the tank and body. So I guess it's "solved" for now but will probably come back at some point and I'll have to look into fixing it then.
I had this same issue and result. After trips where I’d have either water crossings, mud or some significant suspension/body flex, my squeak would go away. It’s been gone for about 6 months now…fingers crossed. I have the rubber padding installed too. Either way, it’s worth the extra range…

I had this same issue and result. After trips where I’d have either water crossings, mud or some significant suspension/body flex, my squeak would go away. It’s been gone for about 6 months now…fingers crossed. I have the rubber padding installed too. Either way, it’s worth the extra range…

I guess the answer is to wheel in more MUD!!! :D

Yep, that’s definitely a more accurate description of the noise.
Very common, there are some fixes that I think Slee, Eric Sarjaent and others implemented to resolve, mine never squeaked.

I think it involves strips of liner (think similar to a very durable moleskin) placed in the areas the tank contacts the frame, but it has been awhile.
If I could get away with just throwing something in between the tank and frame mounts that’d be a relief. I was searching for transmission/fuel tank jacks last night to help alleviate the removal/installation headaches.

@Eric Sarjeant i know the turn key, factory new, expedition ready, 200 series modding bonanza has ended but are you still around?? Do you have wisdom?

For the uninitiated, your have to hold the tank up inside the frame while you install the tank brackets on the frame because there’s not enough room for the tank to slide in with the brackets pre-installed.

I hated everything about the installation.

It’s not the spare :mad:. I got a bore scope to look at the top of the tank. At the very least it’s the pesky little Evap canister bracket that was supposed to be bent out of the way.

I hate removing these aux tanks with a passion. The 200 series is 5x worse than the 80.
If you come through AZ during your trip, DM me and we'll drop the tank together. I've had my 24-gallon in and out half a dozen times; eventually I categorized the work as a 'hobby,' and now I'm at peace with the process. I know the 24 is geometrically different from the 12, but depending on when it was installed, there are likely similar issues. My money is on Charcoal Canister or CC Filter rubbing. Also, think twice about ACC in GA; they royally borked the install on mine...although that's a few years back.

If you come through AZ during your trip, DM me and we'll drop the tank together. I've had my 24-gallon in and out half a dozen times; eventually I categorized the work as a 'hobby,' and now I'm at peace with the process. I know the 24 is geometrically different from the 12, but depending on when it was installed, there are likely similar issues. My money is on Charcoal Canister or CC Filter rubbing. Also, think twice about ACC in GA; they royally borked the install on mine...although that's a few years back.
I appreciate it. I don’t think we’ll be making it to AZ this summer. I’m using this as a practice summer and traveling closer to home. I have a 5 year old and I don’t know if it’ll be fun or a nightmare to camp/travel with him yet.

I’m researching transmission and fuel tank jacks to assist in tank removal if putting an isolator between the tank and frame doesn’t work.

The 200 is my wife’s daily for another year or two. I’m working on unobtrusive or helpful mods while she drives it. I’m also replacing bumpers as oopsies happen. I’m in the 80 until I talk her in to something fast and reckless.

Too bad about ACC. I was thinking about buying some 80 series headers from them forever ago but was too chicken to pull the trigger due to unknown supercharger compatibility.

Take a look at this post by @TeCKis300. I had issues with squeaking on my 12.5 and it was because I didn't cut those tabs off. But, the instructions didn't mention it, so it was an easy miss. Maybe they've updated them since I installed, but just checking if you took them off.

Take a look at this post by @TeCKis300. I had issues with squeaking on my 12.5 and it was because I didn't cut those tabs off. But, the instructions didn't mention it, so it was an easy miss. Maybe they've updated them since I installed, but just checking if you took them off.

Thank you. His thread was part of my research. They got cut off prior to install.

Update… squeaks fixed!! I installed neoprene rubber strips in between the plates that mount to the frame and the frame… the ones with the u-bolts…

The Neoprene strips were 3” wide and 1/8” thick. I would’ve gone thicker but I wasn’t paying attention when ordering. You only need 10” or so.

TORRAMI Rubber Gasket Sheet Material 1/8 (.125) Inch T X 3 inch W X 10 Feet, for Sealing,Protection, Abrasion, Supports, Leveling, Bumpers https://a.co/d/i4u1jSy

I loosened the u-bolts enough to lower the tank. Probably gave me a little more that 5/16” of a gap. Slid the strips in, tightened everything back up… no more noises!

So much relief! I hate squeaks and rattles!!

Also in the process I installed some marine grade carpet in between the spare and the tire jack. It provided more peace of mind than noise abatement.

Last edited:
Update… squeaks fixed!! I installed neoprene rubber strips in between the plates that mount to the frame and the frame… the ones with the u-bolts…

The Neoprene strips were 3” wide and 1/8” thick. I would’ve gone thicker but I wasn’t paying attention when ordering. You only need 10” or so.

TORRAMI Rubber Gasket Sheet Material 1/8 (.125) Inch T X 3 inch W X 10 Feet, for Sealing,Protection, Abrasion, Supports, Leveling, Bumpers https://a.co/d/i4u1jSy

I loosened the u-bolts enough to lower the tank. Probably gave me a little more that 5/16” of a gap. Slid the strips in, tightened everything back up… no more noises!

So much relief! I hate squeaks and rattles!!

Also in the process I installed some marine grade carpet in between the spare and the tire jack. It provided more peace of mind than noise abatement.

Nice. Did you have to loosen or take off any hoses or anything?

Nice. Did you have to loosen or take off any hoses or anything?

Nah! I just loosened the u-bolt’s as far as I could while still keeping them threaded on and then slid the strips of rubber in. The tank is only dropping at most 1/2”.

I’ll be generous and say it took me 7 minutes using an electric impact.

I’ll save you 2 minutes and tell you it’s a 17mm deep socket. One bracket is 5” long and the other is 9ish”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom