Builds Old Landy: An HJ45 Story/Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I use these to knock the welds down then clean up with 120 grit on my air sander. Much better than a grinding wheel and they last a long time
Walter Flexcut
You can get them on Amazon and a bunch of places online or at your local welding store
I think we might be investing in these very soon. Looks really promising. I also used an air sander with 180 grit to get the fine stuff👍

When dressing welds you want to start with planishing, hammer, the weld first and make sure the shape of the steel is correct.
With sanding heat is your enemy, larger sis’s add more heat and less control.
Invest in 2 and 3” roloc air grinders for this work.
Remember it takes time to get it nice, you can only take the material off once so less is more.
I started a tread a while ago regarding tools and techniques for dressing welds, that might help.
adding fiberglass to steel is not a good idea on an LC.
FA390F2C-949E-4BE1-BC4A-A564897A4024.jpeg
6594F13F-4FAF-4D67-9E52-63CC52FB0890.jpeg
3815B2BF-C79F-42DF-A6A4-2F7E97A8D82B.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this. Please excuse my ignorance,,my manual specs for crankshaft journal says .0012-.0028in yours is .005in range? confused?

You’re absolutely right just checked the FSM and I guess I thought I was measuring in millimeters instead of inches. Good thing I replaced races I guess 😅.

Been trying to follow the starter debacle, I think I have similar starting issues. Did you ever figure this out?

Been trying to follow the starter debacle, I think I have similar starting issues. Did you ever figure this out?
If you don't have a starter relay for the 12v/24v starter you're using, that's step one for a diesel. Starters are super straight forward, just need good gauge wire to the starter from battery, good ground and make sure the +12v switch feed is reading at the starter. If it isn't, work backwards.

Beauty of adding a starter relay is that you can use current 1hz starter relay, connect to the +12v feed from ignition and connect to constant +12v and ground. Super easy! You can really dig in and use

But also curious if the issue was resolved and what it was :)

If you don't have a starter relay for the 12v/24v starter you're using, that's step one for a diesel. Starters are super straight forward, just need good gauge wire to the starter from battery, good ground and make sure the +12v switch feed is reading at the starter. If it isn't, work backwards.

Beauty of adding a starter relay is that you can use current 1hz starter relay, connect to the +12v feed from ignition and connect to constant +12v and ground. Super easy! You can really dig in and use

But also curious if the issue was resolved and what it was :)

Been a minute since I’ve been on the thread… I ended up just bypassing the ground and hot wire with large gauge alligator clips for the purpose of “firing” it up. Sadly the 2H is out the window and going into a different rig. 6.0 going in ;).

good choice

Been a minute since I’ve been on the thread… I ended up just bypassing the ground and hot wire with large gauge alligator clips for the purpose of “firing” it up. Sadly the 2H is out the window and going into a different rig. 6.0 going in ;).
I dig it K. You will still be able to go anywhere you want to go in Old Landy but without fear of being run over on the open road. Great choice man!
🤙

:clap::bounce::bounce:

IMG_5348.jpeg

More power, better fuel mileage and you can buy parts for it at Walmart at 3 in the morning. :hillbilly:

Great peace of mind. Ya hit it @cruiserdan. Also @Cowboy45 skinny pedal foot has strong orbital changing force

Last edited:
... and [/I]you can buy parts for it at Walmart at 3 in the morning. :hillbilly:
That's a big plus.

Back in '75 I had my '66 Mercury Cyclone GTA in southern Nevada for a summer job. One day I discovered a cracked fuel bowl in the stock 650 CFM Holley 4-bbl. carburetor. I was working and living ~65 miles from town, so I only had limited time to run errands. I drove down to the Ford dealer near the Strip late Friday night - got there about 10:30 p.m. Because of the intense daytime heat that time of year, the parts and service departments worked late in the evening. To my surprise they had the fuel bowl in stock.

That weekend I rebuilt the carburetor on the small table in the tiny trailer I lived in. That's the first and only non-Land Cruiser carburetor I ever rebuilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom