What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was trying to find the hospital that my grandmother was in on Saturday down in The Woodlands, but I got sort of lost, there are like 5 hospitals down there and I was just taking a tour of all of them apparently. Grandma is fine and I eventually found her, but the detour proved fruitful. I saw this gem in the parking lot of the Home Depot:

View attachment 3338304

This was the first time I ever laid eyes on a 45, other than on here. The license plate says it is a 77. I knew it was later than 75 due to the wipers, but the cowl vent threw me off; my 78 40 doesn't have one, so I'm guessing that either 45s did have them, or this guy is a mix of years :D. Either way it is looking SHARP! Check out those 70 series turn signals! Other than that I drove my 40 and broke down. After my Pertronix/Distributor woes, I think I have figured out that the "FlameThrower" coil is really the issue. The symptoms are fairly consistent across 2 igniters and now points as well, but with the points it died completely. So, I have a OEM Denso coil coming from ToyotaMatt, that should get it fixed. Back to the 45, does that beauty belong to anyone on here? Have a great weekend everyone!
Looks like an import. Good chance it's a mix of years. I had an 82 imported 45 once. It was my one LC purchase I was just as excited when I sold it as I was when I bought it 😂.

Sorry, don't have a build thread. I probably should have made one. Maybe one day I'll compile photos and summarize it in a thread. If your tub is shot, using that replacement 82 tub seems like a great option.

I ended up using a real steel drivers floor patch which wasn't even close to fitting. I ended up using about 1/4 of it to replace some ribs on the passenger side and maybe 1/2 to replace a piece of flat steel the PO had used to replace part of the drivers floorpan. I just wanted the floor to look stock again with ribbing. I formed a few pieces on my own to replace some spots in the front pans, rear sill and wheel wells. In the rear I ended up ordering a CCOT replacement floor, so that is all brand new. Wheel wells in the rear were mostly good so I patched a few areas there. My quarter panels were replaced professionally soon after I bought it 20 years ago - they were really bad and I couldn't afford to fix the rest of it at the time. They were still in excellent shape. I ended up replacing my front fenders with NOS fenders one of the parts suppliers had available a while back.

I painted my fj55 a few years ago (only one small rust patch was needed on that one) then got overly confident and tore into this... I've been learning a lot as I go.
Anyway, what started as some quick patches in the floor has turned into a complete repaint, all the new weatherstrips and rubber, rebuilt motor, sniper EFI, etc.

Not sure I would invest the cost of a new tub. I have a little over $500 in the transmission, transfer case, driveshafts and rear axle. The tub and frame have nothing invested. The previous owner had HOA issues and just want it gone.
Has some rust but wheel well are solid as is most the rear floor. Besides the back it's the front floor wells that are the worse. Believe was used on the beach and sand not cleaned which cause a lot of the rust.
20220304_134738.jpg
20220304_134926.jpg
20220304_134754.jpg

Not sure I would invest the cost of a new tub. I have a little over $500 in the transmission, transfer case, driveshafts and rear axle. The tub and frame have nothing invested. The previous owner had HOA issues and just want it gone.
Has some rust but wheel well are solid as is most the rear floor. Besides the back it's the front floor wells that are the worse. Believe was used on the beach and sand not cleaned which cause a lot of the rust.
View attachment 3338476View attachment 3338478View attachment 3338479
That look like a very salvageable tub. Mine had more holes in it than that.

I was trying to find the hospital that my grandmother was in on Saturday down in The Woodlands, but I got sort of lost, there are like 5 hospitals down there and I was just taking a tour of all of them apparently. Grandma is fine and I eventually found her, but the detour proved fruitful. I saw this gem in the parking lot of the Home Depot:

View attachment 3338304

This was the first time I ever laid eyes on a 45, other than on here. The license plate says it is a 77. I knew it was later than 75 due to the wipers, but the cowl vent threw me off; my 78 40 doesn't have one, so I'm guessing that either 45s did have them, or this guy is a mix of years :D. Either way it is looking SHARP! Check out those 70 series turn signals! Other than that I drove my 40 and broke down. After my Pertronix/Distributor woes, I think I have figured out that the "FlameThrower" coil is really the issue. The symptoms are fairly consistent across 2 igniters and now points as well, but with the points it died completely. So, I have a OEM Denso coil coming from ToyotaMatt, that should get it fixed. Back to the 45, does that beauty belong to anyone on here? Have a great weekend everyone!
That's a really cool truck.

Spotted this guy and his family going through BC and the Yukon a few days ago headed towards Anchorage. The 40 looked right at home cruising the Alaska highway.
View attachment 3338081

@sofj45 ’s rig, a ‘63, post #6

Last edited:
Didn't cost me anything

th-3456958650.jpg

Last edited:
Spotted this guy and his family going through BC and the Yukon a few days ago headed towards Anchorage. The 40 looked right at home cruising the Alaska highway.
View attachment 3338081
1963, sprung over sitting on fj60 axles, 283 small block Chevy 4 spd, stock transfer, Saginaw ps, full family cage. she ain't perfect but I've had it 18 years and she's never let me down. very minimal rust, far from stock but the body is original and uncut.

mid-late 63. newer style door handles not the early easier to reach style like my pickups and early 63 rigs and standard bezel but nabbed a imprint bezel off a 61 parts rig yrs ago cause she needed it to be more correct to a 63.
Stoked to see more early fj40s on the road! yours is very similart to mine!

One of the rear lift hatch latches wasn't catching very well and was causing some rattling. Our son 3d printed a small spacer which tightened things up nicely.

View attachment 3333033

View attachment 3333034

View attachment 3333035
cool

now someone just needs to 3d print the strikers and I'd be set... one of these days I need to replace the good ones I missed removing of a rotted out top. All I have left is junk someone fabricated out of steel.

Instead, I'll likely make some on the table saw out of a scrap of Delrin a friend gave me... I'd explain how, but if you don't already have a good idea, I don't want you cutting off your fingers trying. In a nutshell I'll cut the basic shape and then finish it on the belt sander. Old school, the way things are done because I'm too cheap to buy a 3D printer for one job... so far. Besides, Delrin will be stronger... After those, front strikers for my July 74... but first the weather stripping,

We installed new seats. The factory seat brackets were wonky and required cutting and welding. After riding in my 40 my husband now wants the same seats for his 60. :)

View attachment 3337354
Sell me your old headrests for $20???

JK... If you sell them they'll pay for your new seats. :D

Just realized my 40 turned 47 this month, it's had an interesting history and is still going strong. May 1976 was a long time ago, really an age gone by by today's reckoning. This thing is testament to Toyota toughness, I highly doubt anything built in the last decade will favor as well in terms of longevity. I was lucky enough to get it in '95 as the third owner with 44,373 on the odometer for $5K. Original owner used it as a hunting rig, second owner only had it a few months before selling then it was all mine. There were plenty of crazy mods those guys did that I had to undo or fix, but it wasn't long before I had it running well and reliable. It was my daily driver/weekend wheeler for a couple years before becoming the weekend warrior it is now and even took my first born child home from the hospital 26 years ago today. We have had so many great off road adventures in it around the PNW, no other truck could survive the crap I've pulled in the woods. Strangely enough I have only put a little more than 30K miles on it in all that time, seems like it should be more, maybe all that bouncing around you do in a 40 has something to do with that. Can't imagine how much gas it has consumed since I have had it, bet I have spent a small fortune at the gas station to date. Smiles per mile, right? What an awesome fun ride it's been so far, plenty more to come to. Thanks for reading!

View attachment 3330528

View attachment 3330529

View attachment 3330530

View attachment 3330531

View attachment 3330532

No other vehicle is built like 'em.

Insurance quoted me 13k to repair the dented fender, hood, bumper cover, rad & condenser, and rad supports in our Prius.

A few minutes with a body dolly and a hammer would fix a similar bump to a 40. The body man would be touching up the paint rather than redoing the front end of the car and having it all inspected to get it road worthy again.

we were headed towards fairbanks. but so far had it over in Denali, down to Whittier on the return trip back up now for a few days then out to Seward for fishing next weekend and see where it goes from there

View attachment 3339175

View attachment 3339176
What a great family trip. Nice old 40. Is that road still mostly chip seal or have they paved it with asphalt?

What a great family trip. Nice old 40. Is that road still mostly chip seal or have they paved it with asphalt?
it's dirt, it's chip seal, it's ruts, it's pot holes, it's frost heaves, it's got some paved sections. it's bouncy but it's was a fun haul to do. figured it would either be one the dumbest decisions or more fun. probably a little of both but I'd do it again.

Don't forget to check your plugs:

AshFoul.jpg

I've never seen anything like it. Ash buildup according to the back of the Haynes manual. And only roughly 5000 miles on these plugs. I've cleaned them up and reinstalled, and now I have to eat some crow. The Pertronix 1662LS is now running perfect, the missing and hesitation was due to this ash fouling. I stand by the problem with the Pertronix 1662 because the magnet grinds into the base; that might be able to be resolved with a shim, but not sure. The FlameThrower coil is also probably still good, BUT... It is a mystery to me why when I installed points it ran really good until it started dying. It was a sudden, engine power-off at 60 MPH and then there was no spark until it sat for a while. And it did it several times, the last of which it did not come back to life until I reinstalled the 1662LS. Maybe a combo of points plus the fouling was causing the coil to overheat? All speculation. I'll just be happy to get my Denso coil installed when it comes in. Still want to go straight '78 parts one of these days, I need to call the original owner and see if he saved any of the parts that came off this rig. Anyway, just happy now that it is running smooth and strong again. At least on the test drive, time will tell. Have a great rest of the weekend!

it's dirt, it's chip seal, it's ruts, it's pot holes, it's frost heaves, it's got some paved sections. it's bouncy but it's was a fun haul to do. figured it would either be one the dumbest decisions or more fun. probably a little of both but I'd do it again.
Out of Haines I was in front of you in the white sienna with the tire on top. My wife kept telling me to focus on the road because I kept looking back at your rig. The 40 profile looked so epic coming over the pass toward Haines Junction. Wanted to come over and chat a couple times at the fuel stations but I was dealing with the little ones. Glad everything has been going relatively smoothly for you. Those kids will remember that trip forever.

That's what I remember too, enjoy the ride!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom