Exhaust replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up a 97’ LX450 and it desperately needs a new exhaust system. What options are out there ? Any advice? I did a search but it doesn’t seem there’s really anything available. TIA

Google search with i8mud and exhaust and you will get what you need info wise. The search function sucks on here.

There is a good bit of info on the matter on here. Wes is correct it’s easier to search through your browser but older threads should still pop up in site search as well.

Magnaflow Y to muffler of your choice to mom n pop shop for discussion of routing and expectations is where I’d start

Borla makes a full kit as well. Not exactly plug and play but close and history proves chose your hangars and have patience and several satisfied folks

OEM is still abil as well I believe. $$$$ but should last you another 20 yrs.

i have a complete exhaust system or 2 sitting around. even still have the cats on them. not sure what shipping would run you.

i have ordered two systems off rock auto. bosal and walker. both were crap fitment but affordable. if i have to do another one, i will probably find and exhaust shop to build a custom system.

I'm in the middle of this right now. I've done a ton of searching recently. Agreed with what others have said and the route I'm going. Magnaflow Y pipe + cat (awaiting delivery), muffler of choice, exhaust shop to weld up and fab the rest.

State of mine currently lol

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

What MagnaFlow did you use?

Haven’t done the back yet, but would consider this vs custom…

Feel lucky you're in VA and not CA. I had to spend $300 more because CA. :(

Here's what I did. Cut out the old and bolt in the new. Probably around 2K for everything.

Magnaflow down pipe 23120
Magnaflow 2nd cat 23622
Toyota muffler 17403-66041
Toyota tail pipe 17405-66010
Toyota mounting hardware and gaskets

Here's what I did. Cut out the old and bolt in the new. Probably around 2K for everything.

Magnaflow down pipe 23120
Magnaflow 2nd cat 23622
Toyota muffler 17403-66041
Toyota tail pipe 17405-66010
Toyota mounting hardware and gaskets
Tom, how did the Magnaflow parts jive with the OEM bits? I've heard grumblings about the aftermarket cats being ill fitting. I'm going the exact route you are with OEM cat back.

I'm excited to have a quiet cruiser and not hear the cat rattling at 2100 RPM

Tom, how did the Magnaflow parts jive with the OEM bits? I've heard grumblings about the aftermarket cats being ill fitting. I'm going the exact route you are with OEM cat back.

I'm excited to have a quiet cruiser and not hear the cat rattling at 2100 RPM

Everything bolted up fine for me. I had the Magnaflow parts on for a couple years before I replace the original Toyota muffler and tailpipe with new. That was about three years ago now and haven't had any issues.

I just picked up a 97’ LX450 and it desperately needs a new exhaust system. What options are out there ? Any advice? I did a search but it doesn’t seem there’s really anything available. TIA
Magnaflow downpipe + cat, then have a local muffler shop fab the rest like a lot have said in this thread. The Borla exhaust is super expensive for what you get and I've heard it's pretty loud. The tailpipe is also in a terrible spot if you're wheeling and will get crushed. I'm going to do the Magnaflow downpipe on my 93, relocate the o2 sensors to the exhaust manifolds (not needed for 95+) and then have a shop make an exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler and the longest resonator they can fit.

Just picked up my rig with new custom exhaust. my white knuckle slider mounts right in the spot where we would have been able to go over the frame. oh well. hopefully I don't bash that muffler on a rock, time will tell. but damn it sounds good. $780 and I had to supply the magnaflow downpipe + 1st cat; 2nd cat was reused from the old system. all my exhaust hanger mounts were toast and they had to cut out and weld on the 2nd 02 bung on the exhaust. Price included the new muffler too. pretty happy with it. :)

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

Just picked up my rig with new custom exhaust. my white knuckle slider mounts right in the spot where we would have been able to go over the frame. oh well. hopefully I don't bash that muffler on a rock, time will tell. but damn it sounds good. $780 and I had to supply the magnaflow downpipe + 1st cat; 2nd cat was reused from the old system. all my exhaust hanger mounts were toast and they had to cut out and weld on the 2nd 02 bung on the exhaust. Price included the new muffler too. pretty happy with it. :)

View attachment 3342453
View attachment 3342454
View attachment 3342455
View attachment 3342456
Looks good! I'd love to hear a sound clip.

quiet, this exhaust has been some level of broken for about 4 years now. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom